Partition Vanishes!

Nightbreed

10 posts in this topic

DEAR GOD HELP ME!!! now that i have that outta my system i do need a little help. I tried to install XP on my 20" iMac and have had no luck whatsoever. I D/L to "20inch patch", Made a 100gb partition (which showed up in OSX) Followed all instructions. I get the boot screen up and choose windows. Then i get "no partition available" when i try to install windows. I go back to OSX desktop and the partition (XP Drive) is GONE!

I go back to OSX install utilities and find that the partition no longer exists. Is the a way i can get back the drive space? And what the hell am i doing wrong? I would hate to have to install OSX for the 4th time!

Thanks in advance

By the way, just for testing, you can use the terminal in the OS X Installer utilities to simply copy over the xom.efi file to a HFS+ partition from a flash drive and bless it. The bootloader works, and avoids wasting time re-installing OSX again.

But back to our question: how do we install Windows onto the MS-DOS partition created during the OSX install, if the bootloader ERASES it during the XP install booting process?!? Please help...

When you create the partitions in OSX are you making the windows partition the first or second partition. I was having the same issue when they had me test it but when I made the windows partition the first one it stayed put. Also something you can do if the partition initially disappears is this...Let windows use the empty space and have it create an NTFS partition....then once it formats the partition turn the machine off right when it hits the Checking Drive screen (doesn't have to complete). Then turn it back on, the XOM will register the new partition, and then you can install on that partition. That shoud get it going also.

AirmanPika, nice to hear from you. To answer your question, I tried it both ways, and also tried making more than one MS-DOS partition. Fundamentally, the problem is that I want to have the partition be FAT32, and not NTFS, so that I can write to it from OSX. Ideally I would like to have a primary Windows partition and another FAT32 "misc" partition for programs and files. I don't know how to get that, since the xom.efi loader deletes the FAT partition. Is there a way to keep it from doing this?

Also, it inserts unpartitioned space between between partitions. In other words, if I partition the drive into only 2 partitions of equal size (through the OSX disk utility), after I load up the XP installer on the machine, I'll get something like:

E: Partition 1 [EFI] 200MB

unpartitioned space xxxxxMB

C: Partition 2 [unknown] xxxxxMB

unpartitioned space 120MB

It's like the 20" iMac xom.efi is really acting up strangely, but then there are some that have commented (or shown pictures) that they have their 20" iMacs up and running.

AirmanPika, nice to hear from you. To answer your question, I tried it both ways, and also tried making more than one MS-DOS partition. Fundamentally, the problem is that I want to have the partition be FAT32, and not NTFS, so that I can write to it from OSX. Ideally I would like to have a primary Windows partition and another FAT32 "misc" partition for programs and files. I don't know how to get that, since the xom.efi loader deletes the FAT partition. Is there a way to keep it from doing this?

Also, it inserts unpartitioned space between between partitions. In other words, if I partition the drive into only 2 partitions of equal size (through the OSX disk utility), after I load up the XP installer on the machine, I'll get something like:

E: Partition 1 [EFI] 200MB

unpartitioned space xxxxxMB

C: Partition 2 [unknown] xxxxxMB

unpartitioned space 120MB

It's like the 20" iMac xom.efi is really acting up strangely, but then there are some that have commented (or shown pictures) that they have their 20" iMacs up and running.

This happened when I installed on my MBP. I encountered the upside-down Win icon at the boot screen. I reinstalled XP and it recognized the Win partition as the normal C:/ drive (Partition 2). Everything went smooth.

BTW, I formatted my drive as FAT32 since I made the XP partition smaller than 32GB so I'm able to read/write to it with OSX. I haven't tried placing files on it yet. Has anyone done this??? Also, formatting also changed the name of the drive to NO NAME. Can I change this or will it break my XOM? Sorry if I hijacked this thread