Using Darwin Airport Driver With Osx86 10.4.1

lagnat

298 posts in this topic

cyrana, I'm feeling your pain man. My dell D610 has a smooth and fast OS X installation on it, but the only problem is USB doesn't work and neither does wireless. I had another laptop, a compaq with a miniPCI 4306 that *DOES* pick up wireless in OS X. I swapped them into the delll and picked up a wireless card in my OS X install (albeit one that wouldn't turn on??) but nevertheless had to swap them back, as the Compaq (read: HP) laptop wouldn't even boot with the dell's BROADCOM miniPCI in it. Simply rediculous...

Installing and loading went just fine here, but i cant seem to connect to any network (it doesn't find any too). I tried using the Linksys WPC54G ver1.2 and the Belkin F5D7010. Airport sees the cards, with there correct (almost correct, only the last digit is different) MAC-addresses as well.

When i try to connect to my network manually I get the error msg "There was an error joining the Airport network "Mulder". Obviously Mulder isn't an "Airport" network, it's just my Linksys AP. Ive noticed there are more people here with the same problem. Has anyone of those people got it working yet?

Hey, I just went through the whole guide, and got the "loaded succesfully" message at the end, no errors anywhere along the line..

I rebooted, but there is nothing under Netowrk in the sys prefs,

I also made sure the settings were right in the BIOS.

If my chipset were not supported, would I still be able to go all the way through with no errors as I did? OR should my WiFi be working?

Tx.

Okay, i puzzled some more and found some interesting things. At first i couldn't connect to any network using Airport, allthought everything else seemed fine (Airport configured and on, card shows up). The problem of not finding any networks is because of platform=pcx86 i believe. When i booted using platform=ACPI everything worked fine, allthough my system is damn slow.

Also, when i boot using platform=pcx86 the system runs fast, untill i open up Airport to search for networks. At that point, kernel_task shoots up to 80% CPU time, making my system extremely slow. When i disabled Airport, kernel_task returns to its normal 0.5% CPU time.

Are there people who were able to get this driver working with the platform=osx86 command? How is your experience?

Edit: Got it fixed by removing the AppleTPMACPI file. Everything is working smooth and wireless now <_<

Bottomline is:

If your wireless is working fine, but you can't connect to any networks: Try booting your pc without the platform=pcx86 and use the platform=ACPI line

MSI UB11B ..has anyone gotten this to work? I have this dongle, and it appears on the http://broadcom.rapla.net/ list of broadcom chipsets, but I can't get it to show up in network interfaces screen. My USB is working, I can use usb keyboards/mice, and the dongle is working ...I tested it in windows, but after installing the Airport kext premade and posted in this thread (succssfully loaded), nothing happens when I insert the usb stick. I'm away from my machine right now, but I can post some logs if need be.

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec....UB11B&class=com

I have a WPC54GS linksys card and after copying the AppleAirPort2.kext from the darwin ISO and modifying the permissions on it. It wont load, the message when I type sudo kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext is:

kld(): Undefined Symbols:

_OSDequeueAtomic

_OSEngueueAtomic

the Device ID for the card in Profiler is 17184. What else should I try to get this working?

Thanks

Updates! Allright...I know it's been a long time since I last visited this thread, but since I know you're all dyinggg to know where I am in my quest to get wireless, I've decided to post this thread.

I tried cyrana's method of replacing the device ID for the appleairport2 driver (this involved adding one line in the appleairport2.kext from the appleairport3.kext), and surprisingly enough was able to get appleairport2 to load!

Unfortunately, although appleairport2 is now loading fine (i checked it out booting with -v), it still fails to pickup a MAC address on boot. Very odd, as I thought if it recognized the device, it would definitely assign it a MAC address. Going into OS X from that obviously didn't yeild detection of any wireless devices, even in system profiler.

The GOOD news is that i've now got USB working (deleted that pesky applefpmemdrier.kext file), which means that when I go home today, I should have a working Belkin 7050 USB waiting for me. So I'll plug that in and try the method some other lucky chap in this topic thread had, and see where that takes me.

Best of luck to you all!

@suleiman

yeah, I was lucky. After thinking about it some more, I reckon it worked because the Belkin card became en0 which in turn made the mini-pci become en1. Maybe OSX expects the Airport to be en1 because a genuine Apple would always have a nic on en0.

Its been working well since it got enabled. Dunno what to do with the Belkin USB, figured I may need it again if I needed to re-install some time!

I am sorry for a stupid question, but where do I get the source code for "foo.c" some was deleted from the first page of this post and I dont know if my Mac OS installation has this file somewhere or do I need to make it?

Thanks for all the help!

I am sorry for a stupid question, but where do I get the source code for "foo.c" some was deleted from the first page of this post and I dont know if my Mac OS installation has this file somewhere or do I need to make it?

Thanks for all the help!

If you'd have read the whole thread you'd have seen all that info on page 5. Although the original instructions do tell you how to do it anyway.

Wireless cards with ralink chipsets work. My ralink based card is a D-Link DWL-G122(B1) USB dongle and it works. Here is a link to that forum topic: Wireless Cards in OSX

How did you get this dongle to work? Do you have the deadmoo image. I can load the kext file ok, but when I reboot and insert the usb dongle nothing happens in network preferences....

I have used the cyrana compiled kext.

How did you get this dongle to work? Do you have the deadmoo image.  I can load the kext file ok, but when I reboot and insert the usb dongle nothing happens in network preferences....

I have used the cyrana compiled kext.

I have a kernel message in the console window now which happens when I insert the usb dongle, and at intervals if it is left in the usb slot. So Im guessing that I have done something wrong?

Working now! just writing from my room using the wifi.

So, for all the acer aspire folks out there:

It seems that the application lounch manager (distributed with the laptop itself) takes care of the wifi On/Off switch, the interesting thing is that this switch is somehow hardware and internal, so, by setting the wifi to "Always On" in the lounch manager the wifi will be On even on osx : )

So, using the modified lagnat drivers (thaks so much dude) the ACER aspire 1610 can go on internet via wifi.

Andrea

Dang, I have an Aspire 3000, but I think the Broadcom chipset is 4318. I applied the patch, but it doesn't seem to identify the hardware. This may be a stupid question, but where would it show up? In the System Profiler in Network->Airport Card?

I just got wireless working on my IBM Thinkpad T42 using a Linksys WPC54GS. The GS is the one with SpeedBoost. The Version 1.1 also uses the Broadcom Chipset. I used Cyrana's file and followed the install guide from the post. It's working great. Thanks to everyone that is working hard on getting OSX running on X86!! :)

I just got wireless working on my IBM Thinkpad T42 using a Linksys WPC54GS.  The GS is the one with SpeedBoost.  The Version 1.1 also uses the Broadcom Chipset.  I used Cyrana's file and followed the install guide from the post.  It's working great.  Thanks to everyone that is working hard on getting OSX running on X86!! :)

how do you get it to work???? :o:o

i have a thinkpad t42 and also the same card wpc54gs

i can't boot after installing the loading the airport2.kext as in the instructions

how do you get it to work????  :o  :o

i have a thinkpad t42 and also the same card wpc54gs

i can't boot after installing the loading the airport2.kext as in the instructions

god it WORKS!!!!!! :):o:o:lol:

i've had this wpc54gs card for like 1.5 weeks now

for the first tiem, macos didnt crash at boot and wireless connects

thanks to guy who posts his instructions and cyrana for the file