Using Darwin Airport Driver With Osx86 10.4.1

lagnat

298 posts in this topic

No luck with my WPC54G rev. 2 too..  Was able to compile and load the kext though..

Only the rev. 1 has the Broadcom chipset that the Airport uses, unfortunately.

Too many variables to see why it won't work for some. For whatever reason, some people probably have PCMCIA errors as well that are causing problems.

for the people that have gotten this to work for them: if you could please post some detailed instructions/examples of what steps exactly you took, that would be much appreciated...thanks.

ACER aspire 1610, WLAN 802.11g mini-PCI module chipset BCM4306 / BCM2050

Applied the patch, now the internal pci module is recognized as an Airport, but I don't get any signal : (

It maybe my card, it has some weird problems, on XP for example, when I try to enable it windows says to use the hardware switch, but this model of aspire hasn't got any hardware switch!!! so I have to go in sleep mode and then when I exit the sleep mode the wifi card is on and working...weird isn't it?!?!?

Anyone any clue?

Andrea

So I copied the original AppleAirPort2.kext from Darwin and put it back in the extensions dir to start over. I thrn followed the directions exactly. This time all of the commands executed successfully so I rebooted. After bootup I still have nothing. How can this be, I have the exact same Dell D600 as several others who have gotten it to work. I did however find out that the error I was getting with the foo.c file was due to the fact that I was using TextEdit to make the file and so it was in RTF format even though I changed the extension. So I downloaded TextMate and made the file with it and no more errors. Now if I could only figure out why it's still not working. Help me please! This is the only thing keeping me from being a full time Mac person. Thanks!

Well, the systems can't be exactly the same if this works on one and not the other. Perhaps there is a different BIOS revision or something between them, or some combination of patches is causing a problem. Only the Dell 1350 network card is known to work, too (or does the 1400?). The intel 2200 option won't.

I ordered an HP W450 miniPCI card that has a broadcom chip in it, so I'll be able to test it next week

So I copied the original AppleAirPort2.kext from Darwin and put it back in the extensions dir to start over.  I thrn followed the directions exactly.  This time all of the commands executed successfully so I rebooted.  After bootup I still have nothing.  How can this be, I have the exact same Dell D600 as several others who have gotten it to work.  I did however find out that the error I was getting with the foo.c file was due to the fact that I was using TextEdit to make the file and so it was in RTF format even though I changed the extension.  So I downloaded TextMate and made the file with it and no more errors.  Now if I could only figure out why it's still not working.  Help me please!  This is the only thing keeping me from being a full time Mac person.  Thanks!

For those with dells and perhaps others:

I have another d600 that didn't work at first. The problem ended up being a BIOS setting. Go into the BIOS and alt-p until you get to the page with the wireless settings. One of the settings turns the card on and off.. sorry, I can't remember exactly what it says and I don't have the machine with me now. The text to the right explains that even if it's off, the OS can still turn it on but that doesn't seem to be the case with osx. Enable the card in the BIOS and try again. If this works for you, please make a note of the exact setting and let us know.

Lagnat, you absolutely positively ROCK!

I can confirm that the Darwin driver works on my Dell D600 with a Broadcom 4324 (TrueMobile 1440 I think) card.

It took some reboots of the dell and my access point to get it all sync'ed up.

It took a couple of minutes to realize that osx creates a new MAC address for your wireless card. If you're MAC filtering on your AP like I am, notice the "new" address of your card.

Thanks again Lagnat!

op

Ok so I found my problem. My MiniPCI Wireless card does not have the Broadcom chipset. Miine is the IntelPro 2100. My built-in wired nic is a broadcom chipset. When I was checking earlier I was in a hurry and just saw the Broadcom and didn't pay enough attention to it. Well I guess that means no wireless for me. :D Back to the drawing board for me. Thanks for all the help.

lagnat, there is an option to toggle whether the wireless is OS deployed or BIOS deployed, and I have tried toggling it more than once to no avail unfortunately.

There is a seperate option to toggle the wireless on or off by pressing the FN + F2 key, leaving it to a per application setting, or having it off altogether. I have set mine to be on during FN + F2, but this still does not enable me to turn my wireless on or off (as indicated by the wifi light on my laptop).

I am right now running under the impression that the dell utility or some other application in windows is turning the wifi to a per application setting, and thereby preventing it from being on by default at boot.

So far my theory is that if this were true then even if the driver were installed correctly OS X would not be able to pick it up if it wasn't turned on. Anyone that can concur/disprove this theory, please let me know.

Also, I checked my dell D610 settings, I have a Dell 1370 WLAN Mini-PCI provided by Broadcom, with a Broadcom BCM4318 chipset installed. Let me know if this could be a problem also.

Thanks again everyone, hopefully we'll get to the bottom of this soon.

Well everything was good up until I tried to the last command to test it and then I got this error.

tiger-x86:~/work root# sudo kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirport2.kext

can't add kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirport2.kext (validation error) (run kextload on this kext with -t for diagnostic output)

kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirport2.kext has problems:

Validation failures

{

"Executable file doesn't contain kernel extension code" = true

}

I am not familiar with MacOS at all.  Matter as a fact I have had this installed for about 2 weeks and this is the first time I have ever used MacOS.  Any help would be appreciated.

I'm getting this same error....what'd you do to fix it? I'm in the same boat of having no experience with OSX. Thanks for any help you can offer!

EDIT - Scratch that...I'm an idiot. Wireless working here on Latitude x300 with 1400 (broadcom 4309 chipset).

lagnat....you are a freaking genius. i followed your instructions on your first post to a near T and it works perfectly. my only problem was when in step 8. i ran your command exactly as it was written and was given an error that 'fix-and-continue' wasn't a valid function. i removed that command and it worked right away.

fyi i have the dell truemobile 1350 (i think). it has the broadcom bcm4306 chipset. wep is working and everything. THANKS A MILLION!!!

and to think i almost bought that belkin adapter....

ACER aspire 1610, WLAN 802.11g mini-PCI module chipset BCM4306 / BCM2050

Applied the patch, now the internal pci module is recognized as an Airport, but I don't get any signal : (

It maybe my card, it has some weird problems, on XP for example, when I try to enable it windows says to use the hardware switch, but this model of aspire hasn't got any hardware switch!!! so I have to go in sleep mode and then when I exit the sleep mode the wifi card is on and working...weird isn't it?!?!?

Working now! just writing from my room using the wifi.

So, for all the acer aspire folks out there:

It seems that the application lounch manager (distributed with the laptop itself) takes care of the wifi On/Off switch, the interesting thing is that this switch is somehow hardware and internal, so, by setting the wifi to "Always On" in the lounch manager the wifi will be On even on osx : )

So, using the modified lagnat drivers (thaks so much dude) the ACER aspire 1610 can go on internet via wifi.

Andrea

Hi, first of all: Excellent work ! Is there anything more on Darwin CD one could port to OSX86 ? ;)

However, some stats:

Dell Inspiron 8200 with Truemobile 1150 MiniPCI card (Broadcom BCM94306MP) and a Truemobile 1450 (Broadcom BCM94309MP) in exchange,

connected to a Sinus 154 DSL Basic SE WLAN Router

What works: no encryption, 128-bit WEP

No success so far with personal WPA, which I use to run flawlessly on my Powerbook

Same results with both cards, both are shown as "Third Party" in Profiler.

Thanks again !

Sack

Seems to work on my Dell D600 (with the 1400 card) but I can't get onto my network, probably because it has a WPA? Ah well, I'll test it out some other time out in public.

Thanks so much for the easy install! ;)

-lieb39