Using Darwin Airport Driver With Osx86 10.4.1

lagnat

298 posts in this topic

If someone can show me some good anonymous place to put the compiled file I could do it I guess. I'm just overly paranoid until things are out of beta...I don't know if this sort of stuff is a grey area or what.

Maxxus has been using the following sites to host his patches. So far so good. Can you get the binary uploaded to one of these places.

urls deleted

This is a huge step! Thanks to you and everyone else on this site for all your efforts. I can't wait to use this solution since I have a Dell Latitude D600.

baricrazi

Maxxus has been using the following sites to host his patches. So far so good. Can you get the binary uploaded to one of these places.

This is a huge step! Thanks to you and everyone else on this site for all your efforts. I can't wait to use this solution since I have a Dell Latitude D600.

baricrazi

The file is a bzip2, so just open a terminal to the file and type 'AppleAirPort2.bz2'. You'll need to follow the end of his instructions, where he has you copy the file into your /System/Library/Extensions/...whatever. Probably need to do the chmod and all that as well.

EDIT - Here is an example, do this from the directory/folder that you bunzipped the file to:

Something like this (not in MacOS now to actually try, going from memory):

$ sudo chown -R root:wheel ./AppleAirPort2

$ sudo cp -r ./AppleAirPort2 System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext/Contents/MacOS/

Then test it with sudo kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirport2.kext

If you have some knowledge of MacOS and the Shell it shouldn't be too hard. :P

Edited - dmca

Edited by Hagar

Well everything was good up until I tried to the last command to test it and then I got this error.

tiger-x86:~/work root# sudo kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirport2.kext

can't add kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirport2.kext (validation error) (run kextload on this kext with -t for diagnostic output)

kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirport2.kext has problems:

Validation failures

{

"Executable file doesn't contain kernel extension code" = true

}

I am not familiar with MacOS at all. Matter as a fact I have had this installed for about 2 weeks and this is the first time I have ever used MacOS. Any help would be appreciated.

i've got a belkin pccard and it seems to work.... when i plug it in the airport changes in scanning mode but my computer freezes, if i take the card out i get it back working.

in the dmesg the only error i can see is: failed to determinate ram size

allocated 64 cluster.

just another bad srtory :-(

cyrana, you mentioned before that you could get the kext to load successfully but could not initialize your card to start. I'm running into the same peculiar problem. Did you find a solution to this? I'm running a dell latitude D610. I know that it's supposed to work on this system. Wireless is all i need now to make this my permanent OS!! Let me know where you're at on it.

after running the kext the card must be configured, reboot once to get the port in network connections, then run the airpot assistant, it will fail, but it will leave the card in a working state. then use internet connect to join an AP. and tada

cyrana, you mentioned before that you could get the kext to load successfully but could not initialize your card to start. I'm running into the same peculiar problem. Did you find a solution to this? I'm running a dell latitude D610. I know that it's supposed to work on this system. Wireless is all i need now to make this my permanent OS!! Let me know where you're at on it.

My HP NC6000 has some O2Micro Cardbus controller, which isn't supported in OS X or Darwin... I get an NC8230 next week which has a TI chipset.

The only ones that are supported are some TI (Texas Instruments) PCMCIA/Cardbus chips.

I still can't get this to work. Can someone post the foo.c file the exact way it should look. I think that is my problem. I keep getting an error when I try to do the command that uses that file. I have a Dell D600 so I know this can work on my system. I am using the deadmoo image and have the Maxuss 0.4 patch installed. I can't figure out what is going wrong. This is the only thing I need to never use windows again!!!! Please help.

Here is the error I get:

foo.c:1: error: parse error before '{' token

foo.c:1: error: stray '\' in program

foo.c:2: error: stray '\' in program

foo.c:3: error: stray '\' in program

foo.c:3: warning: data definition has no type or storage class

foo.c:4: error: stray '\' in program

foo.c:5: error: stray '\' in program

foo.c:7: error: stray '\' in program

foo.c:7: error: syntax error before "enum"

foo.c:7:22: warning: backslash-newline at end of file

foo.c:7: error: syntax error at '#' token

foo.c:7: error: parse error before "NULL"

foo.c:15:14: error: invalid suffix "void" on integer constant

http://s28.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2KY5S86...S82KYYR22ZWCO0S

The file is a bzip2, so just open a terminal to the file and type 'AppleAirPort2.bz2'. You'll need to follow the end of his instructions, where he has you copy the file into your /System/Library/Extensions/...whatever.  Probably need to do the chmod and all that as well.

EDIT - Here is an example, do this from the directory/folder that you bunzipped the file to:

Something like this (not in MacOS now to actually try, going from memory):

$ sudo chown -R root:wheel ./AppleAirPort2

$ sudo cp -r ./AppleAirPort2 System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext/Contents/MacOS/

Then test it with sudo kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirport2.kext

If you have some knowledge of MacOS and the Shell it shouldn't be too hard. ;)

Update! Well I actually was able to get this to do all these steps and get the kext to load successfully. Now the problem is it didn't change anything. I still have no wireless in the network config even after rebooting. I also saw someone mention running the AirPort Utility, tried that and it still didn't work. I have checked and verified that my Dell D600 built-in wireless is a BroadCom chipset. What could I possibly be doing so wrong? Is should be possible that we could make this into an install.sh script right? Maybe that would be good for us dummies that can't get it working. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

i'm with baricazi on this one...I've tried and tried again to get this thing to work. The most frustrating part about it all is that i have the exact same specs as both baricazi and lagnat. Again, if there is anyone capable of putting this together into a nice install.sh file like maxuss did with his patches, it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. ;)

;)

Thank yous to lagnat and cyrana for their work on this. It went a lot smoother than getting 1280x800 to work properly. My integrated wireless is now working flawlessly.

WEP encrypted network

Dell 700m

Dell Wireless WLAN 1350 Adapter Rev4.4

-> Broadcom BCM4306/BCM2050

Now the only hurdle that I have is enabling quartz extreme. Are there are any 700m users reading this who have a difinitive answer on QE? If so, help a brotha out and send me a PM.

Thanks again guys.

The only ones that are supported are some TI (Texas Instruments) PCMCIA/Cardbus chips.

Indeed, some, it seems it won't recognise the TI PCI7420 cardbus Controller :)

I've been messing around with the Info.plist in IOPCCardFamily but to no avail...

Too bad, the Airport2.kext seems to load fine, but my WPC54G won't blink a light.

Seems to me, like Cyrana said before, some work on the PCMCIA controllers has to be done, atleast to make it work in my HP/Compaq nx5000.

Damn, so close :D, anyway, lagnat, thanx for the work!