[Fix] Intel 915 blue screen boot freeze FIX!

gygabyte666

3 posts in this topic

I am making this thread because there are just so many more people out there (in my opinion) who have this very same issue and no real support is out there for them to help them out. While this may seem to cause more issues than it fixes it isn't much I know but I want to help out the scene and I have been a avid long time Apple user so I feel that I have to be able to contribute somewhat at least. Like I said it's not much but with a problem so annoying, the blue freeze screen, If you can find a way to get rid of it for good it makes you feel so relieved and helps out a lot in actually enjoying your OSX86 system. Plus, I want to help out because I know how angry it can make you when you know what you're doing but just can't figure it out. So take this as it is and please be gentle for I am exhausted and this is my first real contribution to what I feel is a much larger range of users than some think. So please try to enjoy this release and I hope it helps. Well just to let you know in advance you should keep an eye out on here for awhile b/c I am pretty confident that I can figure out how to get this all to work possibly without losing CI & such but like I said, 'pretty' confident not positive. so keep an eye out, I think i'll make a thread for it as it seems to be pretty common. I've also learned new things which I will list below as you may want to test them first. Also, I hold no responsibility for what you mess up on your computer or it's components, should you manage to do so, somehow. I would like to apologize in advance to those reading this, for any errors, no matter weather they are grammer-based, technically based, or just based on any errors at all as I have not slept for a total of 48 hours and I am very tired and no really in my smartest sounding mind, I am just very busy and I have to get this done now as I don't know when I'll get the chance to next. Sorry for any errors or issues my currently exhausted/half-awake mind make create during this tut.

IMPORTANT: No matter what you choose to do, MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR KEXTS!!! that way if you need to reinstall the old ones one day, then you will have them.

==========================================================

METHOD #1 - My 'Easy' Fix

[This method is considered 'easy' b/c it requires no real previous skills or Apple experience and since it disables CI & QE completely it should be considered a quick, temp. fix just to build up hope and rid yourself of the damn screen, but I hope to create a better method later on.]

Required items: MUST HAVE OS INSTALLED FIRST! OR CREATE CUSTOM INSTALL DISC

----10.4 Tiger & 10.5 Leopard:

~Some kinda Kext installer (usually pre-installed but still need to mention)

~original 'virgin' AppleIntel915.kext [ONLY 10.4]

~original 'virgin' AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext [10.4 & 10.5]

~original 'virgin' AppleIntelGMA950.kext [ONLY 10.5]

~TextEdit (or any rtf/txt reader app)

~Permission Repairing method or app (mainly for Extensions)

~Some Faith

Remember - You only will need to use two files in each version of Mac OS X. For example, if you are running Tiger then you will only really need to find & work with AppleIntel915.kext and AppleIntelIntergratedFrameBuffer.kext to get this to work right. And on Leopard you will only need to use AppleIntelGMA950.kext and AppleIntelIntergratedFrameBuffer.kext to get this to work on that OS. No matter which OS you have running, you will have at least two kexts and one will HAVE to be AppleIntelIntergratedFrameBuffer.kext. Below the steps refer to the kext(s) usually as THREE, This is because I had all three so I used all three on Leopard, using all three will NOT apply to Tiger but i just mention using all three because it's what I did, all you need to really use is 2 kexts for each OS. The reason for the Leopard change is that AppleIntel915.kext DOES NOT EXIST. So each OS does only techinically have 2 kext files in their extensions folder. So using only two files no matter which OS you use shouldn't matter, but just for the sake of fact, I tested Tiger with the 2 it had (it worked) and I tested with Leopard after with all 3 (which worked) but I only did this because I already had all three but you don't need all three, so whatever it mentions about using all '3' kexts in the steps below is there solely for those who want to use all three, otherwise read it as only two files. Sorry for the confusion.

STEP #0: YOU MAY BE ABLE TO GET AWAY WITH SIMPLY DELETING THE FILES LISTED ABOVE AS ALL THAT NEEDS TO BE DONE IS TO MAKE THE VIDEO CARD DRIVER NO LONGER USE A KEXT AND IF IT DOESN'T EXIST THEN IT CAN'T LOAD IT, NOW CAN IT? STILL I HAVE NOT TESTED IT BUT IT WILL MOST LIKELY WORK FINE, SO IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO TROUBLE YOURSELF WITH THE {censored} I WENT THREW BELOW THEN THIS MAY BE 'YOUR' QUICK FIX. SIMPLY DELETE THE FILES IN THE "System/Library/Extensions" LISTED ABOVE THEN IT SHOULD WORK JUST FINE.

Step #1: Navigate to /System/Library/Extensions on your HDD, or whatever you installed tiger onto.

Step #2: Once there locate the files above, once you find them copy them to a safe place either by click & drag, or highlighting them and pressing [copy] Command+C (Alt+C), then [paste] Command+V (Alt+V) to your destination.

Step #3: Once the files are safe, you need to then copy them again by whatever means you choose, copying them to the desktop is preferred as it will be easier to spot them & work with them.

Step #4: Now the fun begins, highlight either of the kexts on the desktop and Control (right) click on it, select the "Show Package Contents" option, double click "Contents" to open the folder to the next set of items and open up the file labeled "Info.plist" in your text editor of choice (TextEdit, etc.)

Step #5: While keeping "Info.plist" open in the text editor, navigate to the top left of your screen and click on the Apple logo to bring up the list of options. Click on the first option, "About This Mac", click the "More Info" button and wait until it opens up System Profiler.

Step #6: Once System Profiler has loaded and is open, navigate to the "Graphics/Displays" section in the left pane and select it. You should now see your current status of the driver for the display/graphics card in the system. Pay special attention to the "Vendor" & "Device ID" but do not close System Profiler yet.

Step #7: Go back to your text editor with "Info.plist" still open, and navigate down the code until you see "IOPCIClassMatch" & "IOPCIMatch" right below it. You then need to notice the two hex numbers listed there in the following format for both fields: "0x03000000&0xff000000". You see where this is going yet?

Step #8: Now make it so that you can see both the "Info.plist" file you have open & the System Profiler with Graphic/Display option open & visible. You will notice something similar about the number listed as "Vendor" and as "IOPCIMatch" between both files right? Yup! They both have the number "8086" there right? Well, the real important number is the one on System Profiler below it labeled "Device ID" mine is "2592" and yours may be different, still keep that number in mind cuz we need it next.

Step #9: My picture is different than this next step b/c I never fixed it but it still holds the same purpose so anyway. Go back to the "Info.plist" and look at the section labeled "IOPCIClassMatch" the number listed below is what needs to be changed. With the first 0x00 number change it first so that it has a total of 9 zeros in all. just remove whatever number(s) there and replace them with zero & you should have 9 all together. Now we will make it look like the number below it, except use the Device ID instead of the Vendor. change it to 0x0000yyyy where the y's will be replaced by your Device ID. like example mine should be 0x00002592. I know the pic is off but i hope you get the idea. After that just change the next 0x00 number next to it (or next to the & sign) change it to look just the one below it, change it to exactly this: 0x0000ffff. Once you have made the proper changes please Save this "info.plist" file and close it.

Step #10: Now what should we do? Clearly, you are gonna do the exact same thing to the other two kext files on the desktop and yes, you should be opening up that package's "info.plist" too, just remember you CANNOT copy & paste from the other file, as they have different values and information so just do the exact same thing to the other files, save them and close. so all three files have the EXACT same values for both "IOPCIClassMatch" & "IOPCIMatch". remember each hex number should have a total of 9 numbers in them.

Step #11: After you've saved and closed the last kext file, pat yourself on the back as you almost done and the worst is over. Next we need to install these kext files back into the Extensions folder. So find your Kext Installer application, open it and drop all three kexts on the desktop into it and let it add them there for you. (you could do this manually too but having an installer do it, is much easier & safer.

Step #12: Once that is done, open your Maintenance app and let it repair your permissions and extension folder permissions. Once that is finished cross your fingers and reboot your system. Once the system reboots and you try to boot back into the system your shouldn't have to worry about that blue screen freeze anymore and the second that blue screen pops up you should see your mouse pointer which means everything worked. Just to be safe though, once your in the system, navigate to "About this Mac" again, click "More Info" and check with System Profiler to make sure your Display/Graphic settings have no kext loaded, this means everything when well. Congrats and happy OSX86'ing

==========================================================

METHOD #2 - Paperclip Trick

[This method is supposed to only work on certain graphic chips, it just so happens to be useable on the Intel 915 chipset, this is nice because you don't have to modify any kexts so long as it works and like the first method it will basically always work so give it a go if you'd like.]

Required items: MUST HAVE OS INSTALLED FIRST! OR CREATE CUSTOM INSTALL DISC

----10.4 Tiger & 10.5 Leopard:

~Either a paperclip or some soldier wire (which is better)

~Some hope

Step #1: There is only one step in this method, basically you just need to bend the paperclip or whatever you have at your disposal that will work in a similar way as to fake out the VGA port into thinking it has a monitor plugged into it. When you are done though it should look like the picture below, this method is either hit or miss. It either works or it doesn't so fiddle with it, test it out and hope for the best but this method has been proven to work on the 915 chipset, in fact many claim that it may ONLY work on this chipset. its nice b/c you don't have to modify any kexts so long as this actually works on your chipset so have fun and Good luck

===========================================================

Thank you for reading and hopefully enjoying this tutorial no matter how illegible it may be, due to exhaustion. If you have any questions please post on this thread and I will try my best to help out, and please if I made extreme errors or something similar...don't point them out unless you feel you really need to in which case please email/PM me, then if it's logical enough that I messed up i'll add it and give you credit. Thank you all again and please feel free to contact me for any support you may need. Also, if needed I will update this in the future if new things arise or are brought to my attention, plus I am currently working on getting the best way of fixing this all to best suit every aspect of the video driver compatibility.

I WAS PLANNING ON ADDING PIX UP FOR VISUAL REFERENCE BUT I WILL DO IT LATER AFTER I SLEEP A LITTLE, SORRY FOR THE TROUBLE.

Liquid Crystal Creations

http://gygabyte666.site90.com

GYGABYTE666 [LCC root admin]

• 4 weeks later...

Oh man! My man! I love you!! :P

You have been a LIFE SAVER! I can't thank you enough.

The 48 hrs you spent, they DID NOT go waste (I think thats pretty clear anyway :P). But thank you SO much for sharing it with the community. :D

Have an awesome time and thanks again! :D

EDIT: I think the display shows up now 'cause the kext is not loaded at all (thats what the System Profiler says). So basically, no hardware acceleration anymore and no WXGA :( I needs to find a better way!!

• 1 month later...

hi.

thanks for your post and for your work.

i have been looking for this fix since long time but the funny thing is, if i can not pass

this blue screen, how can i load, change or even modify the kexts?

in all this forum i haven´t found a clear way to do it and some help would be great.

once again, thanks for your work