Lila

157 posts in this topic

ok all clear :-) thx very much for help

i am going to take all but the System/Library/Extensions Folder,

But!! what is with the 2 files

mach_kernel

mach_kernel.ctfsys

they sound "not safe;)

If you're already using vanilla kernel, it's safe, but if your Hack doesn't work with unmodified kernels, don't select them - and system.kext (works with each kernel's version - control some important things, like usb...)

Hi there,

Just updated to 10.5.5 using Software Update from my retail DVD install. First boot failed, then I tried using -v -f and it worked. Rebooted one more time without the -v -f parameters and it's all good. The boot is very fast. No need to apply kext again, no need to repair permissions.

Enjoy !

-f is necessary to complete update = force system to reload kexts from extensions folder, not form cache (extensions.mkext - normaly deleted/updated by SU)

-v to see any changes.

For me, boot is slow since i'm on a JaS installation, but everything was more smooth than kalyway one until this upadte (and now i can use newer versions of ACPIPlatform)... Strange... Arcana Mac OS X ... :)

hmm

i installed all but the extensions folder,

reboot --> then f8 and -v -f , 2nd reboot but now only the blue osx screen with my mouse pointer and do not know what to do now

have i repair permissions during f8 boot? if, how to do that?

Please help me!

thx in advance

Well I'm just waiting on the instructions on how to update my HackPro, its running using the latest install from iDeneb 10.5.4, Installed 10.5.5 on my macpro at work and it installed flawlessly. I wonder where I'd go to check the changes.

use boot 132 or EFiX or wait for a fix. THIS GUY RIGHT HERE LOVES SPORE!

hmm

i installed all but the extensions folder,

reboot --> then f8 and -v -f , 2nd reboot but now only the blue osx screen with my mouse pointer and do not know what to do now

have i repair permissions during f8 boot? if, how to do that?

Please help me!

thx in advance

I have same problem.... but if i boot also with the flag -v -f -x (safe boot) it loads the login screen - i can then loggin i get the dock but no menus or hard disk icons.... i am unable to access anything on the hard disk and finder just keeps relaunching....

good job i got 3 partitions 2 of which are osx installs.... my present one and one for trying update....

For Vanilla, Open Terminal as Root and paste this script:

while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done

Press enter and begins with the installation.

After the installation, in Terminal press ctrl + c and restart.

It rebooted once more by itself...

post-169936-1221826850_thumb.png

Lucky MacOff

EDIT: It the same method that previous updates, not mine...

Macoff, if I choose and install the kernel vanilla I update 10.5.5 directly to Apple? (download for the site Apple the archive and run) and finish the instalation. Apply your script and work the laptop after the rebooted?

just doing these steps? I get to upgrade to 10.5.5?

Sorry my english it´s not very good (I from to the spain) Sorry, Thank you

It´s really comfortable if you do have another os x install on your machine.no need to use pacifist.

just started the installation and defined where to install to. with this method no "InstallOnStartup" folder is installed.only had to delete afterwards the AppleIntelCpuPowerManagment.kext ;)

Come on, InsanelyMac people, let's be less cryptic. If you have a success story or a failure story, tell us your systems and what are you running (Kaly, Leo, Retail w/BOOT132, etc.) so that the rest of us can actually, you know, learn and find some use in your posts.

That said, I'll reiterate my question: I am currently running Retail Leopard (All Vanilla) with BOOT132 - but I don't use the actual disc anymore, I just installed Chameleon using OSX86Tools and then replaced the boot file with the BOOT132 disc's boot file, along with the Extras folder. Considering that, is it safe to just upgrade using Software Update? My Extras folder has IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext as well as dsmos.kext and a few others.

Thanks for any input.

Come on, InsanelyMac people, let's be less cryptic. If you have a success story or a failure story, tell us your systems and what are you running (Kaly, Leo, Retail w/BOOT132, etc.) so that the rest of us can actually, you know, learn and find some use in your posts.

Thanks for any input.

No go. Reinstalling Kalyway 10.5.2. Im happy to be the test pig with my new system, this is just a hobby for me.

------

Me= NOOB

Kalyway 10.5.2, combo update 10.5.3, Apple combo update 10.5.5, installing right now. Will update in 10 mins.

UPDATE: Kernel Panic on install. Damn. Package 0 didnt get an HPET, panic...

UPDATE: Installing...

Also, audio currently doesnt work, hard drives appear as external, 9800gtx not registered. (Fresh Kalyway install) Lets see what happens...

Mobo:

GA EP45-DS3R

Intel E8500

Vanilla kernel

2x2gb Cosair

EVGA 9800 GTX

SATA HD 320 gb WD

SATA DVD

Had an unfortunate FAIL on my popular Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L, running Kalyway 10.5.4 Vanilla. Kernel panic around 75% into update. I didn't even try to boot it, no point. At least I had a image of my boot drive from two days ago :unsure: .

Thought this board was supposed to be "one of the most mac compatible"?

I followed the netkas instructions for 10.5.2/10.5.3 and it worked for me without any problems:

- Ran the disk utility to repair permissions on my system disk.

- Saved the kexts that I needed.

- Ran the script to delete /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext during the update process.

- While the above script was running, I updated my system from 10.5.4 to 10.5.5 using the combo updater that I downloaded.

- Edited the /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1 file.

- Restored my previously saved kexts.

- Restarted the system, and then reboot again as usual.

- Logged in again and ran the disk utility to repair permissions on my system disk.

Good luck to all.

Worked like a charm.

Installed via software update

-f is necessary to complete update (as usual)

GA-P35-DS3R rev 2.0 / Mac OX 10.5.5 - Retail, Boot132 + DFE - / Core2Duo E 6750 / 4 x 1 Gb DDR2 800MHz / GeFORCE 8600 GT 256 Mo - NVkush - /

Do you have the Extras folder on your HDD as well as the BOOT132's boot file copied onto your HDD as well, replacing Chameleon's? I'm asking because I don't have IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext in my Extensions folder, only in my Extras folder (which I guess is working since I'm writing to you from here, aren't I). But I just want a bit more info before I attempt to do my first real upgrade using SU, since Combo to 10.5.4 was done *before* I installed Chameleon.

That said, I'll reiterate my question: I am currently running Retail Leopard (All Vanilla) with BOOT132 - but I don't use the actual disc anymore, I just installed Chameleon using OSX86Tools and then replaced the boot file with the BOOT132 disc's boot file, along with the Extras folder. Considering that, is it safe to just upgrade using Software Update? My Extras folder has IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext as well as dsmos.kext and a few others.

Thanks for any input.

Success but I had to mess around with the graphics kexts I had previously installed. I guess the update had overwritten my previously modified Nvidia kexts.

Updated from 10.5.4 with Apple Combo Update 10.5.5 resulting in broken install and my system failed to boot up as usual.

I managed to eventually boot in safe mode -x -v -f and reinstalled my nvidia kexts using nvidia universal installer, edited device id's and repairing permissions as usual.

After this, no problems booting up and system updated to 10.5.5 !

I also had to repatch my apple HDA with Taruga's patcher to get sound working again.

10.5.5 Retail Leopard Vanilla via Boot 132 Method Kaly's Chameleon Boot Loader; Elastic ISO Kexts used in Extras Folder

Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo 3.0 GHZ

2GB Ram

Gigabyte EP35-DS3L

6800GS with Nvidia Universal Installer EFI Studio strings

Do you have the Extras folder on your HDD as well as the BOOT132's boot file copied onto your HDD as well, replacing Chameleon's? I'm asking because I don't have IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext in my Extensions folder, only in my Extras folder (which I guess is working since I'm writing to you from here, aren't I). But I just want a bit more info before I attempt to do my first real upgrade using SU, since Combo to 10.5.4 was done *before* I installed Chameleon.

Hey,

The most important Extensions that you must have in Extra folder to make it boot after update:

1- AppleIntelPMDisabler.kext.

2- DSMOS.kext or AppleDecrypt.kext.

3- Kext for your HDD like IOATAFamily for IDE and AppleAHCIPort.kext, IOAHCIFamily.kext for SATA.

4- Any essential kexts you need Natit or PS/2 kexts.

It worked for me like a Charm I didn't change any file and all is working and backup your extensions before anything. ;)