Windows Applications With Wine + X11 (10.4.1 - .3)

145 posts in this topic

There's a new version up on http://darwine.opendarwin.org// ... 0.9.7

Be sure to grab it if you want to use Darwine on your Intel Mac. I'm still waiting for mine... coming in a little less than a month now...

Have fun and be sure to post what's working and what's not for you... someone got Quake running off the CVS version of Darwine (pre 0.9.7). Maybe we can see more games runnning... like Battlefront or Matrix? I reallly want to see these running (cause I own them).

Let's hope Darwin development really picks up now... and that it gets easier because it's more like Wine now. Who knows maybe Wine will make their own branch for intel macs (non-darwine) just a simple installer that should hopefully be faster...

I get a error cant find image ntdll.dll.so when i try to run an app..

10.4.3 and new darwine x86

I get a error cant find image ntdll.dll.so when i try to run an app..

10.4.3 and new darwine x86

It just WON'T work in 10.4.3. this is not the main problem.. if you resolve problems with paths and it finds all files needed, you'll get error about missing call in libSystem.B.dylib. That is one of the most important libraries in darwin - You can't replace it from 10.4.4, that means.. we must wait until someone kills 4.4 protections, or wait 'till someone "ports" wine to 10.4.3.

Maybe it doesn't work with 10.4.3 is because - 10.4.3 is illegal unless you're using a legally obtained developer build, and Darwine is prob. is being compiled with the legal 10.4.4... Apple probably has used one of it's tricks to do that.

Oops, forcer already mentioned that.

By the way, can someone try to see if Nero 7 works? That would be the ultimate program to get working!!! I would definately be happy if that works!

Imgburn would be nice too - it's free.

Links: http://www.nero.com/ and http://www.imgburn.com/

P.S. And any other Windows programs that have to deal with CD/DVD drive use... you know what I mean... all those cool programs that you use on Windows that aren't as easy to get on Mac...

Make sure you add the stuff to the wiki.

By the way, can someone try to see if Nero 7 works?

I *highly* doubt it.

The problem is the scsi library (ASPI) has to connect to the SAM devices in IOKit. Unless someone has done this work without telling anyone, it hasn't been done. The current method is Linux dependent (which seems to be a recurring problem with WINE). It doesn't use a platform independent lib like Joerg Schilling's SCSI library (used by cdrecord, cdrdao, etc.)

Anyway, Nero sucks donkey balls. Why would anyone want to use it? Even free programs like cdrdao kick Nero's butt in every technical respect.

Amendum: Apparently someone has written a patch to winaspi to use libscg, so theoretically it is possible to use Win32 SCSI apps like Nero. I don't have a Macintel, so someone else will have to try it.

If it works I'll be interested in using apps which don't have OS X or open source equivalents, like 120% Alcohol. Unlike Nero, this burner app has some features cdrdao lacks.

By the way, I tried the PPC download of Darwine 0.9.7 on my Mac Mini running 10.3.9, and after copying the files around as necessary, it fails on another libSystemB.dylib symbol, _fstatvfs. So even though the Darwine site plainly says "binary release requires Mac OS X Panther (10.3), " it must in fact require 10.4 for PPC.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Has anyone gotten Darwine to work on an Intel Macbook Pro?

I tried running some of the sample apps with Darwine 0.9.12 and it keeps telling me X11 isn't installed. But when I try to install X11 (from Apple's website), it says it's already installed.

What am I doing wrong?

Has anyone gotten Darwine to work on an Intel Macbook Pro?

I tried running some of the sample apps with Darwine 0.9.12 and it keeps telling me X11 isn't installed. But when I try to install X11 (from Apple's website), it says it's already installed.

What am I doing wrong?

The X11 from Apple's site is for 10.3. Get the version of your Software Restore Disk.