• Please log in to reply
403 replies to this topic

ludacrisvp

ludacrisvp

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Any ideas why Apple doesn't support this out of the box?
Also is there a way to enable the Intel IGP this way? (Sorry if this sounds noobish, but I'm completely lost why AHCI has to be enabled in the mbr instead of the bios in the first place)

Ideas? Yes, there are a couple reasons.
1. Apple wants you to use OSX not Windows.
2. Apple is using EFI that emulates a BIOS that cannot be modified by the end user (us).
3. To guarantee support for older windows os like xp they had to use legacy mode for the controller, because xp did not have native ahci support and there is no floppy drive anymore for the F6 boot option to allow you to add a driver.
4. In the end it's simpler for apple, falls in to the "it just works" category, it does however sacrifice performance and battery life using the legacy modes in windows but OSX works great.

So we enable it in the MBR by sending a command to the SATA controller to enable ahci.
This command comes after the efi emulated bios said to disable it, but also before windows has started.

As far as enabling the intel igp goes...
I would venture to say that it's not feasible.
The emulated bios may not support 2 graphics cards.
There is no way to know how to disable the nvidia card since they keep all technical data sheets private.
And there is no more room in the mbr.
Johnsock had to re-write the beginning of the mbr to make room for the one command, and as far as I could tell there isn't any more room in the small mbr for another command.
Last but not least I wouldn't want to ruin someones laptop by guessing on enabling the igp.

qreed

qreed

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Thanks, that clarifies a lot for me.

Does this mean that booting Windows 7 (x64) natively via EFI give access to AHCI and both display adapters?

ludacrisvp

ludacrisvp

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Thanks, that clarifies a lot for me.

Does this mean that booting Windows 7 (x64) natively via EFI give access to AHCI and both display adapters?

If you could natively boot windows in EFI then I would assume that it would give AHCI and both display adapters.

However Apple uses an older version of EFI that is not compatible with the UEFI bootloader for windows 7 so basically Apple uses EFI 1.x and windows needs UEFI 2.x in order to boot from EFI.

We are unable to boot via efi because of the old efi firmware used by Apple Macs.

Zr40

Zr40

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I've got a 15" MacBook Pro, mid 2009 (MacBookPro5,3) with the Nvidia MCP79. Just wanted to report success using the following method:

1. In Device Manager, find the Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller.
2. Choose 'Update Driver Software', 'browse ...', 'let me pick ...'.
3. Uncheck 'Show compatible hardware'.
4. Choose 'Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller' in the manufacturer list, and the same for model (should be the only model)

Finally, in the registry, check that in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\msahci Start is set to 0.

Note: only do this with a MCP79! Normally, forcing a driver on hardware it doesn't expect is dangerous. However, in this case, it appears to be safe. I've found that Linux can use AHCI on MCP79 in legacy IDE mode, and this is why: http://fixunix.com/k...ler-ahci-c.html

Gregorydf

Gregorydf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi :)

Thanks for all theses instructions. I finally tried the procedure today (I was wainting since a year to do it), and ... it failed.

So, i'm now stuck with windows that doesn't want to start "error reading disk, press ctrl alt del" or a thing like this.
I tried with Parallel desktop and it loads until a BSOD, so no luck ;)

Then, I tried to restore the backup mbr but, here's the thing, I don't know how to do it.
I tried
sudo fdisk -y -u -f ./path/to/backup.mbr /dev/rdisk1
but the thing is I have no idea was the path to backup is, nor where I can find them...

I saw that I may have to change the last 6 bytes of the mbr, but I don't know where I can do that.

Can you help me?

Edit : My Mac Pro is a 2,1 from 2007

All I did was boot from OSX, (The registry key was already on 0), launch the script, at first I launched it on disk 4 as it was the one automatically detected, but then disk1 as it was the one with windows 7.
But anyway, no luck to restart it then, even if I took the other disk (with no OS installed on it) from the mac pro. :(

Edit 2 : I think I found the 2 files. AHCI.MBRAttached File  ahci.mbr.zip   560bytes   57 downloads and backup.mbr Attached File  backup.mbr.zip   573bytes   25 downloads

Now what can I do to make it work?

Edit 3 : Ok, so now it's worse... I understand that to restore, I just had to use the path ./backup.mbr
So; it worked, but... with the wrong backup.mbr... As I did this on 2 disks, it happened that the last one was the one I use for backup.
So, I use the windows repair tool on the setup disk, and I was able to go to windows. But, when I logged on, it takes like 5 minutes and it told me that my copy of windows is not genuine and that I'm on a temporary session.
I open explorer.exe and saw that my old system disk (E) was now Z (my backup disk), and vice versa...

So now, I cannot log into windows because it is looking on the wrong disk because of the drive letter change.

I'll try some things, I'll told you if there is improvement. (But by the way, I was not able to see my Bluray Drive when I restarted, so the AHCI change didn't work :(

Gregorydf

Gregorydf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi again,

finally it's ok now. I couldn't get my old windows installation to work again so I backup my files, formated and reinstalled it all. I then reapply the patch, this time paying much more attention to the fact that it overwrite mbr files without warning and... it all went good :(

So thanks, I just played a bluray, it's really great to finally have it working without having to have this usb to sata converter inside my Mac Pro.

djdeluxe76

djdeluxe76

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
So I will have to run johnsock's script for every partition that I use under Windows?

I have a rev. 3,1 MacPro (2008) with Vista x64 - has this combination been tested with the script?

Oh and thanks to all involved for all the hard work. I always wondered why the drive where I keep my games on would work and make noise like crazy when playing a game under Windows but run butter smooth when copying large files under Mac OS X.

johnsock

johnsock

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
Hello all,

I apologize for being gone from the forums for so long. I'm back in the country now and have a reliable connection so I should be able to keep up with everything here again.

I've spent the last week working on a new program for enabling AHCI mode on our computers and I will have it available in the next couple of weeks. It is a native OS X application, not a shell script, and makes the backup/restore process much easier as well as auto-detects the chipset so the correct AHCI code can be placed in the MBR.

There is still some testing I have to do before this is ready for prime-time, but it will be posted here first, as soon as it's ready for a larger audience. If you need a solution in the mean time, Ludacrisvp has made a modified script that works on the latest MacBook Pro models. The new program is designed to work with all compatible models, but unfortunately there is still no solution for the nVidia chipsets. I've tried to address many of the problems you guys have had with the shell scripts, and it's going pretty well so far. One thing that still needs work is support for multiple Windows partitions on different physical disks. This is a configuration that many of you seem to have, but I haven't been able to do any testing on that setup due to my personal hardware limitations. I assure you that addressing the multiple Windows install issue will be on the top of my list once I am certain that my new program is stable and working for the simpler configurations.

I'll post updates here as I have them. Thank you all for keeping up with everything in my absence.

Attached Files

qreed

qreed

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

So I will have to run johnsock's script for every partition that I use under Windows?

Only on the disk that contains the MBR to boot Windows.

I have a rev. 3,1 MacPro (2008) with Vista x64 - has this combination been tested with the script?

No idea ... but if you've made a backup you're always safe (the script makes a backup of the MBR which you can restore)

ludacrisvp

ludacrisvp

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Yes, it should work without problems. That was the original setup I was using when we were testing the script.
MBR mod needed for each partition that is a boot partition for Windows.

NicoDr

NicoDr

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

i've got a brand new 27" Intel Core i5 Quadcore iMac equipped with the Apple 256GB Solid-State-Disk.

I only use my iMac with Windows 7 64 Bit on the SSD. The performance of that ssd running the standard drivers is rather poor than great. So I would like to switch the SATA-Controller from IDE-Mode to AHCI-Mode.

What would be the right way to do that?

I already did switch my old 24" Intel Alu iMac to AHCI with windows 7 64 Bit following these instructions:
DarkFader

What do I need to do with the 27" iMac to get AHCI running with Windows 7?

Best regards,

Nico

Pandamonia

Pandamonia

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

An update to the following post:

Successfully implemented on a Mac Book Pro 6,2 (mid 2010) using the Intel i5 chipset and also confirmed to work on the i7 version as well.

Testing provided by Jay V. Thanks for being willing to risk your brand new machine!

Will not work on 13 inch Mac Book Pro (mid 2010) with Nvidia chipset Intel Core 2 Duo.
Will not work on Mac Mini (mid 2010) with Nvidia Chipset Intel Core 2 Duo - the latest generation as of this post.

I have overhauled the script to provide you with basic instructions on how to get it done quick and easy using Windows 7 and Windows Vista

Sorry this will only work on Macs that use an Intel chipset for the northbridge/southbrige.
So any Mac using Nvidia chipsets such as the 13 inch MBP and new Mac Mini will not be able to use this because they are using Nvidia MCP89/MCP99.
The reason for this would be that Nvidia has not released any datasheets for their chipsets to the public, unlike Intel that has full disclosure of all commercially available chipsets.

Hi I am having trouble understanding what i am doing with this script. i have set the keys in windows registry to 0 well 2 of them anywy because there is only 2 i can find not 3.

i open the script in OSX and i tried copying it in to terminal, i copied just the middle bit without the Echos and i also copyed the whole thing and then rebooted but it seems not to work for me. im guessing im doing wrong?

im on a I7 MBP with SSD so i need AHCI.

Could you please help?

thanks

Edit. - I forgot to run this in Sudo -s mode. but i copied the whole think into Terminal with Sudo -s and it got messed up at the end and went into some kind of loop?

any ideas?

ssmotivex

ssmotivex

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Has anyone had any success with latest 2010 Mac Pro?

netvigator201

netvigator201

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Hi! This guide helped me enable AHCI on my Macbook Pro 2007 model.

After setting the appropriate registry key, I ran the script in OSX.

I rebooted and Windows successfully detected and installed the Generic Microsoft AHCI driver.

I rebooted after that installation.

At this point I went to Intel's Website to download the Intel Storage Matrix Manager (I think it's at version 89, version 85 is linked in post 1). I downloaded the Windows 7 English version and it installed successfully. It then prompts me to reboot.

On reboot, Windows loads for several seconds and then immediately bluescreens. I think the error is an 0x7B error.

After this, I have to run a system restore to the point before I installed the Intel driver to get windows to boot again.

I tried going BACK into OSX and redoing the script, but it states that "It appears as though the MBR has already been modified".

Any ideas? I'm already pretty happy that I finally get AHCI, but it'd be great to install the Intel driver because you guys say it performs better.

I also have this problem with my MacBook Pro with ICH8M south bridge.

I have a habit that I will turn off the system restore in Windows, so that I have to re-install the windows 7 many times for this failure.

I searched from the web, I notice that many failure cases of installing the Intel matrix storage drivers were found with ICH8M MacBook.

Does there any other solution for the owner of the MacBook Pro with ICH8M south bridge to correctly install the Intel matrix storage drivers?

johnsock

johnsock

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
Here is a BETA of the new AHCI Enabler tool. It is designed to replace the script used previously. This has been tested with all Intel chipsets used so far by Apple. The program also includes the ability to backup and restore your MBR. I recommend you do this, since this program is still BETA. Use at your own risk!

Please provide feedback via this forum, whether it's bugs, feature requests, complaints, or praise!

Attached File  AHCI_Enabler.dmg   631.65KB   3097 downloads

andrewcrow

andrewcrow

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Here is a BETA of the new AHCI Enabler tool. It is designed to replace the script used previously. This has been tested with all Intel chipsets used so far by Apple. The program also includes the ability to backup and restore your MBR. I recommend you do this, since this program is still BETA. Use at your own risk!

Please provide feedback via this forum, whether it's bugs, feature requests, complaints, or praise!

Attached File  AHCI_Enabler.dmg   631.65KB   3097 downloads

Tried this on a Macbook Pro 4,1 (pre unibody 2.6GHz dual) but it just said "chipset not found". Trying to get a OCZ Vertex 2 120Gb SSD working properly using the optical drive bay (OptiDrive). Any suggestions? It works just now but stalls some times and has a good think about doing anything all the time and it's driving me daft!

johnsock

johnsock

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Tried this on a Macbook Pro 4,1 (pre unibody 2.6GHz dual) but it just said "chipset not found". Trying to get a OCZ Vertex 2 120Gb SSD working properly using the optical drive bay (OptiDrive). Any suggestions? It works just now but stalls some times and has a good think about doing anything all the time and it's driving me daft!

Can you check in System Profiler and let me know what chipset is reported? Also, do you know if the optical drive bay on this model is SATA or PATA? I know the other pre-unibody models were PATA, which is not something I've tested.

andrewcrow

andrewcrow

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Can you check in System Profiler and let me know what chipset is reported? Also, do you know if the optical drive bay on this model is SATA or PATA? I know the other pre-unibody models were PATA, which is not something I've tested.

Hi John,

The chipset is reported as being -
Product: Intel ICH8-M AHCI
Description: AHCI Version 1.10 Supported

This is under Serial-ATA and I suspect has answered my question. I have an OptiBay for the SSD and the original drive is in the original place (as there is some shock protection there). On the SATA port all that shows up is the original drive and the SSD is on the ATA port. In this model the optical drive was PATA unfortunately.

It looks like I need to move the SSD to where the original hard drive was (on sata port) and put the older mechanical drive in the OptiBay. Does that sound right? Better look out some foam or other way to cushion is a bit in that case.

Cheers
Andrew

johnsock

johnsock

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Hi John,

The chipset is reported as being -
Product: Intel ICH8-M AHCI
Description: AHCI Version 1.10 Supported

This is under Serial-ATA and I suspect has answered my question. I have an OptiBay for the SSD and the original drive is in the original place (as there is some shock protection there). On the SATA port all that shows up is the original drive and the SSD is on the ATA port. In this model the optical drive was PATA unfortunately.

It looks like I need to move the SSD to where the original hard drive was (on sata port) and put the older mechanical drive in the OptiBay. Does that sound right? Better look out some foam or other way to cushion is a bit in that case.

Cheers
Andrew

Andrew,

I suspected that was the case (PATA for optical drive) but I didn't have that model handy to check it out. The AHCI specification is based on SATA, so you will have to hook up the SSD in place of the original hard drive for this to work. The ICH8-M chipset is supported by the AHCI Enabler utility and it should be recognized once you have an NTFS partition residing on the SATA drive.
I wouldn't worry too much about foam for shock protection as long as the OptiBay allows for a rigid mounting of all parts within the case. Modern hard drives are much more durable than they were in the past and for more peace of mind you could always drop in a hard drive with build-in shock protection (I know Seagate makes some, possibly others).

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. Let me know how it works out.

CK

andrewcrow

andrewcrow

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Andrew,

I suspected that was the case (PATA for optical drive) but I didn't have that model handy to check it out. The AHCI specification is based on SATA, so you will have to hook up the SSD in place of the original hard drive for this to work. The ICH8-M chipset is supported by the AHCI Enabler utility and it should be recognized once you have an NTFS partition residing on the SATA drive.
I wouldn't worry too much about foam for shock protection as long as the OptiBay allows for a rigid mounting of all parts within the case. Modern hard drives are much more durable than they were in the past and for more peace of mind you could always drop in a hard drive with build-in shock protection (I know Seagate makes some, possibly others).

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. Let me know how it works out.

CK

Thanks. I decided to just swap the drives over but had a few problems - could not boot into Windows 7 or Ubuntu after I changed them round, but that may be something to do with the operating systems rather than refit.

It's not the first time I've knackered up boot records and stuff so I'm re-installing all 3 OS' again! :) I've made osx the first partition this time, rather than windows 7. That might have something to do with it?!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy