[HOWTO] Boot Macs with Intel Chipset in AHCI Win7 Vista XP Linux

ludacrisvp

423 posts in this topic

Did you use the application that mods the mbr or did you use the script or the grub method? If it was grub that is only useful with the Mac pro not the i5/i7 notebooks. There are 2 script versions that run in terminal under osx, 1 supports the Mbp the other doesn't. If it was the graphical application that is run inside of OSX then it should detect that you have the Mbp and make the right mod. If you are grub get rid of it, if you used the script try the GUI app, if you did GUI try the script that is for the i5 and i7.

Did your install of windows make a small like 200mb partition or so? The so called system reserved partition or "efi" partition? You could boot of install disk and have windows repair your bootloader. Then either try the GUI again or the second updated version of the script that is for the i5 i7 chipsets. Then apply the mod to the windows reserved partition 1st if you have one then to the win7 one if you don't or it still doesn't work. I do belive you can apply it to all of your partitions since when osx boots it doesn't care about mbr at all it looks at the GUID part and ignores the rest. It's odd that the gui didn't detect any windows partitions but the script does.

i have 3 partitions:

EFI (for firmware update) disk0s1

Apple (mac os X) disk0s2

NTFS (win 7) disk0s3

I restored mbr. What should i do? First boot of install disk and repair my windows bootloader, then try the script i5 and GUI ?

i have 3 partitions:

EFI (for firmware update) disk0s1

Apple (mac os X) disk0s2

NTFS (win 7) disk0s3

I restored mbr. What should i do? First boot of install disk and repair my windows bootloader, then try the script i5 and GUI ?

I'd recommend restoring everything and verifying that Windows works without AHCI enabled. Once you do that, use the AHCI Enabler application.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I have been using Johnsock's cool ACHI enabler code to get AHCI mode working on my Mac's. I have used it on my Mac Pro I use at work and at home, and it worked great.

However I recently got a MacBook Pro 17" and due to doing software development under Windows 7 using C# and Dot Net, I needed to boot to real Windows, as Parallels or VMware work, but are just a little too slow. I did spend an entire day setting up a Windows 7 install under Parallels and it was pretty good, but just not fast enough for regular work. So I set about the process of doing a full Windows 7 64-bit install. I used Johsock's tools and got it all working great and spent all day getting my machine set up, and then discovered the 'sleep' problem. Once my machine went to sleep, when it comes back it seems the disk is not responding and it will just sit there doing nothing. Hard rebooting the machine caused it to blue screen 3 times in a row, before Windows 7 will finally come back.

I never did find a solution to the problem to 'fix' things after the initial blue screen, except to restore the image from a backup. Once it has blue screened one time, you are screwed!

Anyway, to cut a long story short, it appears there is some bug in the Intel Storage Manager drivers, or the chipset firmware, or the firmware in my SSD drive that causes this problem. It is not entirely clear to me where the problem lies, just that it does not work.

Has anyone else experienced the same problem, and found a solution?

Back in October jcleary21 posted this:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1561216

indicating there is a problem with the Sandforce SSD controller and the Intel 9.6 drivers, but I am using the 10.1 drivers and they are doing the same thing. Sadly I do have a Sandforce SSD in my laptop. But it is not clear from that post if the firmware update he mentioned was an Apple firmware update or an SSD drive firmware update.

Either way I would love to figure this out and get this working, so if anyone has any suggestions that would be great!

• 1 month later...

UPDATE:

Sorry, no news on the sleep issue. It is being looked at by a few people, but I don't have anything new to report.

On the other hand, I am prepping a new BETA of the AHCI Enabler to test support for the new 2011 MacBook Pro models that were just released. I unfortunately do not have one of these computers on hand, but I'm trying to get one for testing. Anyone here who wants to help and has access to a Sandy Bridge MacBook Pro please PM me. I have checked the 6 Series Chipset datasheet and it doesn't look like any major changes will need to be made to support AHCI mode for the new models. I'll post an update here when it's available for testing.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm glad some people out there are finding the AHCI Enabler useful. I will continue to work on it as long as there is a demand!

I have one on order, so I would be happy to test it for you when I get it. I have to run my current MacBook Pro under non-AHCI mode due to the lack of sleep support, but it is not that bad as at least it had Ultra-DMA drivers that work (unlike what I had on my Mac Pro).

Let me know once you are ready to test. The BETA AHCI Enabler I'm working on recognizes the new chipset properly, but it has yet to be determined if the drivers on the Windows side respond properly. I'm trying to get more info from some Windows guys on AHCI support on the 6 series chipset to see if anything needs to be done differently with the driver install. There are a bunch of variables with the new system that will have to be figured out. Your help is much appreciated.

REQUEST FOR HELP:

I could use some help with supporting the 2011 MacBook Pro with AHCI Enabler. Anyone with the new model that is willing to install the Apple Developer Tools, can you please get me some info?

I need you to run IORegistryExplorer located in /Developer/Applications/Utilities

Type AHCI in the search box within the IORegistryExplorer program and look for something that looks like the screen capture below (taken from a 2010 model MacBook Pro)

Make a screen capture (using Grab or similar) and upload the image so I can see the port arrangement of the new MacBook Pro model

post-413255-1298932085_thumb.jpg

My laptop should be here by the end of this week I hope, or early next week. I can do some testing on it then.

Kendall, I'll definitely take you up on that.

I have another request for a screen capture from anyone who can help (thanks to JXavier for the last one!). Here is a capture from my 2010 MacBook Pro showing what info I need:

post-413255-1299137085_thumb.jpg

The highlighted field indicates the stepping of the chipset that is present in on the motherboard. I'm trying to confirm that Apple is using the revised B3 stepping that does not suffer from SATA problems on the 3Gbps ports.

Thanks everyone. I'm working on it!

I do have a theory as to why sleep fails to boot up properly based on sleep issues we see using OSX I dont have a way to confirm this easily but I would have to guess that depending on the type of sleep your Mac goes into in windows may determine if it fails to wake properly. If it goes in to "hibernate" mode where it shuts down completely and uses no power at all when resuming the efi will put the controller in legacy mode and windows can't handle a hardware change like that in a resume from sleep mode boot. The hardware controller may not be getting the command from the mbr to deactivate ahci mode. For anyone having the resume from sleep issue please confirm the method of enabling ahci (grub or mbr script or ahci enabler app) and what form or forms of sleep it fails to wake from. It may help figure out a viable solution.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

i have the same problem with Vertex 2 ;-(

Hope we can manage to find a solution ;-)

Regards,

Apple-Newbie

I'm afraid I won't be able to help much to find a solution. I may just help in testing it. Hope someone can find in Intel documentation the right values to apply to MBR to enable AHCI.

According to a comparison between the datasheet from the ICH9 chipset (IIRC its what was used in previous gen MBP i5/i7) and the HM65 datasheet the method and values are identical so the script for the i5 i7 last gen should enable ahci.

BSOD would seem to indicate that the mode has been changed from IDE to something.... it may have changed to RAID (doubtful) ... Most likely it did change to AHCI but its entirely possible that the changes made in Windows did not apply properly. Windows does NOT instantly save all changes to registry right away and therefore they may not have been saved for the next boot. It's possible that in some of the Win7 installs that the Microsoft provided AHCI basic driver is not included, I believe the file name for the driver if it is on your system is msstorahci.sys or something close to that. (not in windows ATM in Lion)

So try all the registry changes again and either use the GUI or the v1.1 script to attempt the mod again.

Make the changes and then surf the net a bit then reboot and see if they stayed changed then reboot to OSX and mod away.

Updated 1st post finally

If you want TRIM support in OSX Snow Leopard go here for the application to enable it (Faster SSD performance in OSX)

TRIM Enabler

BSOD would seem to indicate that the mode has been changed from IDE to something.... it may have changed to RAID (doubtful) ... Most likely it did change to AHCI but its entirely possible that the changes made in Windows did not apply properly. Windows does NOT instantly save all changes to registry right away and therefore they may not have been saved for the next boot. It's possible that in some of the Win7 installs that the Microsoft provided AHCI basic driver is not included, I believe the file name for the driver if it is on your system is msstorahci.sys or something close to that. (not in windows ATM in Lion)

So try all the registry changes again and either use the GUI or the v1.1 script to attempt the mod again.

Make the changes and then surf the net a bit then reboot and see if they stayed changed then reboot to OSX and mod away.

Updated 1st post finally

If you want TRIM support in OSX Snow Leopard go here for the application to enable it (Faster SSD performance in OSX)

TRIM Enabler