Overclocking Problem

OPTiK

58 posts in this topic

Mine doesn't want to go past 260 bus at all, I'm using 118Mhz PCIE.

I have my Pentium D 920 running at 3.65 ghz 260 bus completely stable, which is still great, but I was hoping to hit closer to 4 Ghz. I guess the mobo doesn't like more than that at all.

Changing the PCIE to 118 won't change the CPU temp will it? I've got the stock HSF in there right now and it's not good enough to OC anything, need to get a better HSF. Also, are you changing the PCIE in the bios? I can't seem to find it but chances are i'm being lazy and not looking hard enough...thanks

• 4 weeks later...
i think you must put the pciexpress bus to 118 Mhz...

enjoy...

thanx for the tip!!! :D

the only way i could get my 805D to post past the auto 10% (about 2.94ghz), was to do the auto 10%, do a soft reboot, and then manually bump the FSB. but only prob was that if i did a hard reboot, it wouldn't post, even though i was just running the machine stable at that speed.

now with the PCI-E bus locked at 118mhz, i've posted up to 3.5ghz, but windows locked up. 3.4ghz seemed stable, but i'm currently running it at 3.3ghz with Win/OsX!

• 2 weeks later...

This forum has been a great help - couldnt get above 3.01ghz until I read this thread. You guys have my eternal gratitude.

Pentium D 805 @ 3.502ghz

2x512 OCZ DDR2 667

Asus P5LD2-VM

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

It may go further - think I'm reaching the limits of my ram though.

BTW, am still just testing at the moment, anyone know if 118mhz on the PCI-E bus will have a detrimental effect on my 7800GT? Wouldnt mind a bit of advice before I plug it in.

Thanks again

Spreadie

overclocking your pciExpress bus (90 Mhz stock to 118 Mhz...) can't damage your video card.

in fact, the frequency of this bus is only the frequency used to communicate between the video card and the internal chipset of the mobo...and can only create somes interferences under the communication and can freeze your system...until rebooting computer.

if you OC this PCI-bus more than it can support, those communications will be interfered and you'll need to restart your computer. As of time at the startup...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
overclocking your pciExpress bus (90 Mhz stock to 118 Mhz...) can't damage your video card.

in fact, the frequency of this bus is only the frequency used to communicate between the video card and the internal chipset of the mobo...and can only create somes interferences under the communication and can freeze your system...until rebooting computer.

if you OC this PCI-bus more than it can support, those communications will be interfered and you'll need to restart your computer. As of time at the startup...

Im confused?

I jst got this board and some decent memory....does upping the PCI bus to 118 increase the FSB???

I am at 3.3 on a 3.0 using the default auto 10% but can not figure out how to get it to 3.4, 3.5 or rather increasing the FSB?

In addition the LAN doesn't work and most say that it should out of the box with a 10.4.6 install, however, be that as it may, to get the LAN working on my previous board intel 10/100, I had to make some changes...

/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntel8255x.kext/Contents/version.plist by adding 0x27dc8086 under IOPCIMatch. And /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntel82845.kext (or something similar) must be removed to get AppleIntel8255x.kext loaded

So I know I might need the original before I changed it.

????

UPDATE: Still no solution to onboard Ethernet.....sigh..

Anyway, when upping the bus to 220 (3.3) and nothing else, I get Artifacts when running Cinebench and a few times it happened just while using OSX! I get lines and have to reboot!

Is there a setting that I have to add ????

The memory is Turbo PQI, made for overclocking..I keep the memory settings the same as it would normally be.

Thanks.

In response to your LAN problem - goto control panel, add remove progs - down the left hand side select add remove windows components.

Look for Management and monitoring tools and install the Simple Network Management Protocol. Restart. Try LAN installation again.

Hope this helps.

Let me know how you get on.

Can you tell me the hole settings for the "Jumper free Configuration Menü" you have changed !?

I have th 805 with the P5LD2-VM DH and cant boot windows / OSX behind the 150 FSB wall.

Here are my settings:

Pentium D 805

P5LD2-VM DH

1024MB Corsair TWINX 5400C4

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

250GB Samsung SpinPoint P120

LC-Power LC6420G Silent Giant Black 420W V2.0

FSB 150

PCIe: 118

PCI: To PCIe

What i have to set at the other settings like ram? And what i have to change ....

Thats my first OC project :)

Can you tell me the hole settings for the "Jumper free Configuration Menü" you have changed !?

I have th 805 with the P5LD2-VM DH and cant boot windows / OSX behind the 150 FSB wall.

My system is almost identical to yours - am using an IDE HDD coz I wanted to experiment beyond 118 on the PCIe (beyond 118 SATA drives tend to vanish from the bios)

FSB 175+ is easily achievable but start with 160 and work upwards.

What DRAM freqs are available to you? The VM typically gives three options (choose the middle one for now)

Try fixing the PCI @ 33.3mhz

PCIe 118 - gets unstable if you go much higher

Memory voltage auto

MCH voltage 1.6v

CPU Vcore start with 1.4v (you can reduce it later)

Hope this helps - report back with your results.

This definitely must be a problem with the -VM model, since I have the P5LD2, and I dont have any of these problems. I set my FSB to 180, didnt touch the Vcore, and boom, 3.6Ghz just like that...

Rumours abound that Asus used lower quality clock gens on the VM boards.

<_<

@spreadie

Thanx.... probably error found to mine. The powersupply seems to be.

Your settings are working till a fsb of 159.

Sometimes it boots with 160 and works 2 days without a problem (prime stable) till i make a reboot. After this is nothing to see. (POST)

What are your Voltage rails reading? And what about CPU & MB temps?

I'm using a 375watt PSU but it does have twin 12v rails.

@159mhz you should be ok with 1:1 DRAM:FSB ratio but you could try lowering the ratio and see if it boots at a higher FSB.

You CAN go further with the PCIe safely, but I would use the onboard grfx for testing. I got mine to run @ 190mhz FSB - 3.8Ghz using PCIe 125 but I had to replace the small heatsink on the chipset and add a 40mm fan to keep the temps down.

But even then it failed prime after 30 minutes or so. Had to settle for 3.6ghz to get it fully stable.

If you are using an old case, cut a blowhole in the top and fit an extracting fan. It helps keep the PSU temp down as well as overall system temp.

What are your Voltage rails reading? And what about CPU & MB temps?

I'm using a 375watt PSU but it does have twin 12v rails.

@159mhz you should be ok with 1:1 DRAM:FSB ratio but you could try lowering the ratio and see if it boots at a higher FSB.

You CAN go further with the PCIe safely, but I would use the onboard grfx for testing. I got mine to run @ 190mhz FSB - 3.8Ghz using PCIe 125 but I had to replace the small heatsink on the chipset and add a 40mm fan to keep the temps down.

But even then it failed prime after 30 minutes or so. Had to settle for 3.6ghz to get it fully stable.

If you are using an old case, cut a blowhole in the top and fit an extracting fan. It helps keep the PSU temp down as well as overall system temp.

Twin 12v is a definite no-no with the 805. You want a single rail, with good amperage. I think that might explain why youre unstable at 3.8Ghz. Ive got mine running 4.0Ghz on air right now.

Also, upping the PCI-e bus frequency does nothing for framerates or graphics performance. You really need to lock it at 100 (the default), and also lock the PCI at 33.3 when you start overclocking with the P5LD2 boards. At 125, youre really running the risk of frying the graphics card :police:

Ok, now i have installed a big fan infront of the mobo.

Normaly the Mobo temp is about 41C (is it normaly? )

What can i try to see if there's a litle bit more possible?

here are 2 actual pics:

dsc004975aw.th.jpg

dsc004985tx.th.jpg

everest0fq.th.jpg

Ok, now i have installed a big fan infront of the mobo.

Normaly the Mobo temp is about 41C (is it normaly? )

What can i try to see if there's a litle bit more possible?

here are 2 actual pics:

dsc004975aw.th.jpg

dsc004985tx.th.jpg

everest0fq.th.jpg

Thats better. My MoBo is sitting at 34C right now.

and what can i do to make it faster :D

Well, the short of it is, if you cant go over 159, you simply cant. Youve hit the limit of that chip.

Aside from that bit, the -VM apparently isnt quite up to spec of the P5LD2, since alot of people are having this problem with the -VM board. Also, it could be your memory thats holding you back as well. Theres lots of variables that go into a good overclock, so much so that I think its more of an art than a science.