Consider Boycotting the Video Driver contest on onmac.net

gizzymo

16 posts in this topic

Please Consider Boycotting the Video Driver Contest, this is going to slllloooww down a solution, instead of sharing, people will hoard information.

For the good of this community, and the quality of a solution, please share, help each other out and find a solution together. I realise you remove the oppertunity to win some cash by boycotting this, So can I propose the following option:

When a solution is found by mutual co-operation, then each member willing to take part in this boycott gives 5 dollars to a worthwhile charity. This way we will get to a place of fully working systems quicker and will have helped those who really need it in the process.

If you support this, then please make your presence known in the thread relating to this in the drivers section of the onmac.net forum:

http://forum.onmac.net/showthread.php?t=298

FYI - contest page is here:

http://wiki.onmac.net/index.php/X1600_Drivers_contest

Having been a part of the computer scene from, well, the beginings at PARC, I find this move from a hacker mentality to one more akin to a mercenary one very disturbing. While I can't control our money-centered culture, I always found solace in the fact that in the computer community one could always find a helping hand or mind to solve seemingly impossible problems. The hacker ethic that truly built the computer industry must have a place to live. I thought I found it here with the osx86 effort. When anyone looks at what has been acomplished - and the time it was acomplished in - they should be amazed. From a humble, unreleased, pre-alpha OS running on just about any PC to a released, security-enhanced OS that required a significant hacking effort to solve - all in less than a year!

The hall of fame for this effort is long - Deathchill, Bender, Broadband, JaS, Maxxuss, and literally thousands of others who - for nothing more than the rememberance of their name - have done simply amazing things. More to the point - they have done amazing things for no money. Their payment was the fame of doing the hack, beating "the system".

While I can understand a person's desire to have their system working, I can't get the mentality that would short-circuit this huge community for speed in meeting that desire. There is much to be said about teamwork, community, helping each other in finding a solution to problems such as these. I, for one, can never support code mercenaries. Code deserves to be open and free. It should be developed and tested by the community at large.

Well it looks like those of us who think a contest like this would just slow down progress are winning, when I subitted my vote (against it) the scores were exactly 40% for yes and 60% for no. Hopefully narf and blanka will incorporate the driver into a new release soon...?