ATI Radeon 7000

snas

6 posts in this topic

Hi everyone

My machine comes with a "ATI Radeon 7000 Series" graphics card. I've been scouring the web and these forums in search of a solution but ended up reading a lot of mixed messages. Few state it's not possible at all (the card is too old), other say it's possible using drivers for the 7500. Next say, that's only for the XT. It gets confusing ;)

I must have tried a dozen different routes now but usually end up the same - an unstable system (which admittedly may say more about my skills than the tools and drivers I've tried.) Unfortunately I simply lack the practical knowledge of undoing anything I "install" so each time I end up reinstalling the OS.

Can anyone give me a definite answer? (If such is even possible?)

Thanks for any help!

I tried again using the jccool method. When rebooting the screen turned blank, so I removed all the drivers as per instructions found here (http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:DuY49cc2BVsJ:www.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/index.php/t82408.html+osx86+kalyway+boots+blank+screen&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=46) -- though unrelated, I figured it was worth the shot, seeing how the next step would be a full reinstall.

To my surprise, the system did boot afterwards and the resolution was set to that of the screen (and in system info, the graphics card was now defined as x1950.) Given that I just wanted a resolution fix, I'm pleased.

Still, I'm curious. Why would it suddenly "work"?

• 1 month later...

Hello again,

I had temporary abandoned my hackintosh project after I noticed that the solution above would sometimes cause the OS to hang on boot. (In true windows fashion restarting would fix it.)

I'm at it again now, as I'm keen to use this box as a file server for my actual mac and I'm still not 100% happy with the resolution fix... so... what is the verdict on a Radeon 7000 series?

Thanks Nick14. What about a simple resolution fix though? I don't intend on using this a production machine at all but a file server instead. The jcool installer for the X1950 achieves that and it's what I'm looking for: when I do sign-in on this machine, to be greeted with a true resolution. As such, I'd stick with it weren't for the occasional boot mishap.

Am I right that, as long as no extension for the graphics card is loaded, OSX does all the display work via the RAM?