GMA950 Kext trouble with video playback

rick90660

9 posts in this topic

Hey guys...i'm completely new to the whole Osx86 thing, but i'm really enjoying feeling as though i've accomplished something most cannot or will not ever attempt, it's fun, it's like playing ad scientist with my {censored} Acer 3680-2682

My only problem i've run into that I have not been able to solve myself is this:

I have installed some GMA950 Kext as this is the hardware inside my notebook, however I get the full resolution out of it, and the screen is crisp and clear with no fuzziness, and no mouse ghost trails. But whenever I attempt to play any video file at all my computer chokes and immediately closes any app i'm using to play back the vid, i've tried it with VLC and Quicktime.

I know this is probably a super n00b question, and I hope I do not get flamed for asking about this, it's just i'm generally good with computers and messing around with stuff that shouldn't be messed with, but this has got me stumped ;)

I hope you guys can help me figure out what's goin' on here as I am very anxious to get a real feel of leopard, but without any use of my internal wireless card, or ethernet, the video play back was the one thing I was really looking forward to, well that along with all the sexy cool Mac apps.

Thanks guys. If you need any more information from me just let me know. I really appreciate your help and time!

Thanks, i'm gonna give it a shot right now. Thank You, i'll let you know the outcome

UPDATE: Didn't work, it installed and said everything was successful but the video problem did not change, I can't play any tpe of video whatsoever. I'm really becoming agitated, i've been at this all day trying to figure out whats wrong with it.

sorry for that, the package i sent you worked for a computer i was working on perfectly, although i did not install with the installer. I extracted the kexts and the app, then installed the kexts with kexthelper, and inserted app in apps

try that too, maybe installer is bugged.

also, currently sys profiler says qe supported?

sorry for that, the package i sent you worked for a computer i was working on perfectly, although i did not install with the installer. I extracted the kexts and the app, then installed the kexts with kexthelper, and inserted app in apps

try that too, maybe installer is bugged.

also, currently sys profiler says qe supported?

It says QE not supported...what exactly does that mean for me? I'm so confused, I've got t at the high resolution 1200x800 something or other, but yeah that installer was acting alittle funky and gave me failed messages whe i tried it a second time after deleting the old kexts. I used kexthelper to install the kexts that are giving me the good resolution, but i'm just a tad worried about this video issue, how would I go about just extracting the files from the pkg file? I know I can view contents but the contents didn't really have anything that was obivious, there were some GZ files in there, should I look through those?

I'm sorry about bugging, it's just now i'm really wanting to fix this as it's taken me this long to get this far. Thank You though.

use pacifist, extract kexts and app and install as i told you.

Did exactly as instructed, to no avail. The problem still persists.

I downloaded the DMG for Pacifist extracted the kext files and installed them with Kext Helper, and then dragged the app file to my apps, rebooted and i'm still with a high resolution but no QE support and no capability of video playback whatsoever.

I understand if you can no longer help me, i'm just confused, i've seen people on youtube running the OSx86 on their Acer 3680s and I don't get why mine is giving OSx such a hard time. =/

here you go http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=108004. Sorry that's not for your iLaptop, can't help you more. good luck

That's alright thanks for trying.

Yeah I have the Acer 3680-2682, those hardware components were way different than mine.

Who has had success with this model laptop? I really need help with this!

Thanks!