nForce LAN driver

eno

740 posts in this topic

thank you very much for your reply but im unsure if we are talking about the same issue.

which version of nforcelan i should try and i am not aware of any ata issues since the drives seem to be handled by ahci default drivers.

my errors occur while copying files over the network with nforcelan. single bits in files change in random, maybe 2 or 3 bits in a 1 GB file that was copied.

system memory is 4gb if this depends.

Oh ok. I misunderstood your query. I thought this was local copying of files, not network files. The only thing I can suggest is to try previous versions of the nforcelan kext and see what version it starts doing that on.

thank you again since this is the only response yet, im happy about any answer.

Lets make it more flashy to get hopefully more attention:

Who is using nforcelan in 10.6.5 and can copy files over the network bigger than 1GB WITHOUT having them corrupted by a few bits of false data.

HINT: you won´t find the file errors by accident if you do not compare the source and the destination file exactly for every byte.

i discovered it by using dupseek, you also can use tools like filebuddy or similar tools. And of couse im only talking about the data fork not the resource fork.

Any hint or feedback is very helpfull for me!

Oh ok. I misunderstood your query. I thought this was local copying of files, not network files. The only thing I can suggest is to try previous versions of the nforcelan kext and see what version it starts doing that on.

• 3 weeks later...

I was previously running 10.6.2 using this nForce driver and it was working fine. I took the jump up to 10.6.4 and it all went smoothly except I was getting a KernelPanic. It was in the nForceLAN.kext it was going bang :) By removing it I am now able to boot up and get everything working but that means I am network less.

Has anyone else hit a kernel panic after an upgrade to 10.6.4.

• 2 weeks later...
hi,

i just updated to 10.6.4 and noticed that i get single bit copy errors, especially in files over 1gb.

it might have been so for some time because it only seems to happen in large files and not every time.

any hints/ideas ? driver version is the latest version.

That shouldn't be possible! The packet is checksummed by the either the os or the nic (depending on what nic you are using). Is there any sort of pattern to the bit errors? Are they really only single bit and not a byte (or multiple byes) or perhaps missing bytes?

The only way nForceLAN could be corrupting the data is if the outgoing packet is clobbered before it is checksummed.

Is nForceLAN being used on the send or the receive side?

I was previously running 10.6.2 using this nForce driver and it was working fine. I took the jump up to 10.6.4 and it all went smoothly except I was getting a KernelPanic. It was in the nForceLAN.kext it was going bang :) By removing it I am now able to boot up and get everything working but that means I am network less.

Most kernel panics are caused by nvenet.kext being installed (which usually happens during an update). Check if it is installed in /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns and blow it away (it only works properly with the MCP79 anyway).

• 5 weeks later...

Doesn't work for me. It only works when I don't open any other applications than Mozilla Firefox and Steam. If I open, for exemple, MSN Messenger, iChat, WoW Installer, Skype, the internet no more work. (Only when I click on Connect or when it starts downloading for WoW Installer.)

I was previously running 10.6.2 using this nForce driver and it was working fine. I took the jump up to 10.6.4 and it all went smoothly except I was getting a KernelPanic. It was in the nForceLAN.kext it was going bang :P By removing it I am now able to boot up and get everything working but that means I am network less.

I get a kernel panic but only when trying to boot x64.

• 3 weeks later...

Successfully installed Hazard 10.6.2 on this configuration:

MB: AsRock M3N78D (NForce 720d) - (http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=M3N78D)

CPU: Athlon II X4 625

GPU: Geforce GTS 250

RAM: 4Gb DDR3

LAN: RTL8211CL

During installation I selected:

1) Kernels - Legacy

2) Audio-AppleHDA

3) Video - Graphics Enabler, NVInjector

4) AMD

5) Updates

My problem:

Every time after restarting PC Mac loses connection to LAN. To connect I have to go to the System Settings - Network. So that system automatically finds the lan. Each time the OS creates a new connection, rather than connects the old one. (Ethernet, Ethernet 1, Ethernet 2 ...)

Successfully installed Hazard 10.6.2 on this configuration:

MB: AsRock M3N78D (NForce 720d) - (http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=M3N78D)

CPU: Athlon II X4 625

GPU: Geforce GTS 250

RAM: 4Gb DDR3

LAN: RTL8211CL

During installation I selected:

1) Kernels - Legacy

2) Audio-AppleHDA

3) Video - Graphics Enabler, NVInjector

4) AMD

5) Updates

My problem:

Every time after restarting PC Mac loses connection to LAN. To connect I have to go to the System Settings - Network. So that system automatically finds the lan. Each time the OS creates a new connection, rather than connects the old one. (Ethernet, Ethernet 1, Ethernet 2 ...)

SOLUTION:

Just remove nforce4lan.kext

System Configuration

----------------------

Intel core2 2.13GHz

2.00 GB of RAM

MSI P6n sli Motherboard

nforce 650 chipset

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS

installed iatkos s3 10.6.3 mac os x but ethernet card and Creative SB Live! 5.1 Sound Card driver please help me

nForceLAN is a recent development which used planetbeing's nForce4 0.3c driver as a framework to port the forcedeth 0.64 driver from linux 2.6.31 to OS X. nForceLAN should support all of the network adapters supported by the forcedeth 0.64 driver (listed below) and is a replacement for both forcedeth.kext and nForceEthernetController.kext. Please remove all installed versions of forcedeth.kext and nForceEthernetController.kext from your system if you are manually installing nForceLAN (not using the pkg). It is recommended, but not required, that all users upgrade to at least 10.5.5 (preferably 10.5.6) and AMD users install the Voodoo XNU kernel.

Please post comments in this thread on how well this works (or doesn't work for that matter) for various configurations.

The source code for this driver is released under the GPL.

The original nForce4 driver is posted here: nForce4 LAN driver

Features:

- Support for nForce NICs from the nForce1 to the MCP89.

- Sleep/wake functionality.

- Supports message signalled interrupts (MSI), line interrupts (Legacy), and multiple MSI interrupts.

- Supports manual selection of the network medium and max transfer unit (MTU).

- Supports hardware VLAN tagging.

Supported PCI ids:

0x01c310de, 0x006610de, 0x00d610de, 0x008610de, 0x008c10de, 0x00e610de, 0x00df10de,

0x005610de, 0x005710de, 0x003710de, 0x003810de, 0x026810de, 0x026910de, 0x037210de,

0x037310de, 0x03e510de, 0x03e610de, 0x03ee10de, 0x03ef10de, 0x045010de, 0x045110de,

0x045210de, 0x045310de, 0x054c10de, 0x054d10de, 0x054e10de, 0x054f10de, 0x07dc10de,

0x07dd10de, 0x07de10de, 0x07df10de, 0x076010de, 0x076110de, 0x076210de, 0x076310de,

0x0ab010de, 0x0ab110de, 0x0ab210de, 0x0ab310de, 0x0d7d10de

Recent updates:

- [0.64.0]Maintenance update (updated to match 2.6.31 forcedeth driver). New device support (MCP89).

- [0.64.2]Fixed 10.6 sleep/unload bug.

- [0.64.3]Some code cleanup. Rebuilt with 64-bit support.

- [0.64.4]Fixed setting the lladdr with ifconfig. Added an option to override the built-in or random MAC. To use the MAC override set (in the plist) MACOverride to true and add a string for OverrideMAC1 and/or Override MAC2. The string should be a standard IPv4 MAC in hexadecimal with pairs of digits separated by colons (ex. 01:23:45:67:89:ab).

- [0.64.5]Fixed a typo in nForceLAN::setHardwareAddress();

- [0.64.6]Some adjustments that appear to improve Snow Leopard support.

btn_donateCC_LG.gif

enjoy!

-Nate

Kernel extension:

0.64.6 (Snow Leopard + Leopard/Tiger) nForceLAN_0.64.6.mpkg.zip

0.64.5 (Snow Leopard + Leopard/Tiger) nForceLAN_0.64.5.mpkg.zip

Source:

0.64.6 Source nForceLAN_0.64.6.zip

0.64.2 Source nForceLAN_0.64.2.zip

thanksssssssss...work fine on ABIT I-N73HD ( MCP73 CHIPSET )

• 2 weeks later...

My problem is not working LAN. Cannot get dhcp-address, can't see no macs in `arp -an`.

nvenet is working, but doesn't awake correctly after sleep. netbook hp mini 311.

plz help!

dmesg:

bash-3.2# dmesg | grep nForce
nForceLAN: log verbosity to 2
nForceLAN: message signaled interrupts (MSI): enabled (if available)
nForceLAN: optimization mode: throughput
nForceLAN: timer IRQ: enabled
nForceLAN: probing...
nForceLAN: found nVidia MCP79 Ethernet Controller device 10de:0ab0 with flags 0x017cdf5e
nForceLAN: Version 0.64.6 starting
nForceLAN: supported media: 10BaseT(half) 10BaseT(full) 100BaseTX(full) 100BaseTX(half)
nForceLAN: no DMA interrupts found. using legacy interrupt.
nForceLAN: creating link timer.
nForceLAN: Ethernet address 00:26:9e:4e:15:fb
nForceLAN(en0): enabling interrupts with mask: 0x000000df and msiEnable: 0x00000000
nForceLAN(en0): Network link down.
nForceLAN(en0): Link speed now 100Mbps(duplex = Full, flow control = Yes), code 0x10064.

lspci:

# lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0a82 (rev b1)
00:00.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0a88 (rev b1)
00:03.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0aae (rev b3)
00:03.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0aa4 (rev b1)
00:03.2 SMBus: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0aa2 (rev b1)
00:03.3 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0a89 (rev b1)
00:03.5 Co-processor: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0aa3 (rev b1)
00:04.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0aa5 (rev b1)
00:04.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0aa6 (rev b1)
00:06.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0aa7 (rev b1)
00:06.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0aa9 (rev b1)
00:08.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0ac0 (rev b1)
00:09.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0aab (rev b1)
00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation MCP79 Ethernet (rev b1)
00:0b.0 SATA controller: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0ab9 (rev b1)
00:10.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0aa0 (rev b1)
00:15.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0ac6 (rev b1)
00:16.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0ac7 (rev b1)
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0876 (rev b1)
03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g (rev 01)
04:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g (rev 01)

anyone? ;)

It looks like another driver might be interfering (no DMA interrupts). Can you check if any of the following are installed (and remove them):

nvenet.kext

forcedeth.kext

forcedeth-d.kext

nforce4lan.kext

Sorry Loli - beyond my comprehension. Good luck. Guiltily I'll just add my problem.

My story: 10.6.3 Atkios install upgraded to 10.6.4 on a Asus p5n32-SLI Premium (n590) board. Install found both NICs but couldn't populate DHCP. Manually setting literally killed the entire network. Found this thread and installed the pkg. At the end I get an "Extention could not be loaded" error and no longer see the NICs in Mac OSX at all.

I've tried reinstalling the pkg, as well as older versions. Don't always get the error but no NICs. I've tried repairing permissions to fix the ptext but no go.

I've done precious little via the command line as it seems the OS simple doesn't see the hardware. Any help or suggestions?

-[g]

PS - I've experienced ZERO kernel panics. Seems incredibly stable just missing important hardware.

• 2 weeks later...

I have Asus P5N32-E SLI motherboard, with 680i and MCP55 (n590?) chipsets. The driver reconizes 2 network interfaces, and detects link speed, whether cable is plugged or not, but no data is transferred or received - network interfaces are not able to get IP address from DHCP, and with manual IP address no data is sent or received either.

In Ubuntu 10.04, I have exactly SAME PROBLEM, with forcedeth driver - e.g. eth0/eth1 come up, but system is unable to get IP address or communicate on the network. Solution to this in Linux, is doing:

rmmod forcedeth
modprobe forcedeth msix=0 msi=0

and voila! - after that network works just fine ( - in Ubuntu 10.04).

I assume there might be same problem in OSX? I guess there are other people with same issue here... does anyone know if there would be way setting MSI (media signal interrupt?) values to 0 in OSX, by editing some plist file somehow, for example? or would forcedeth driver in osx behave same way, by adding those parameters to kextload?

I hope some wise person would have any insight on this, thanks in advance! :D

----

EDIT:

My apologies! I should have read this thread fully, before starting to spend days getting xcode and trying to understand your driver's sourcecode, eno :)

DisableMSI = true in the kext's plist fixes the issue, and the kext works like a charm. I'm happy. Btw, geffen, I'm sure this will also solve your problem because we have the exactly same motherboard, and your problem sounds just like the one I had.

----

EDIT2:

My onboard NIC worked just perfectly with DisableMSI, until I enabled my onboard audio... randomly after STOPPING sounds playing (for example closing iTunes while it's playing music), the ethernet adapter stops working, and becomes unable to renew DHCP or communicate... if I unplug the cable and put it back to same ethernet port - it stays unfunctional - if I plug the ethernet cable to different port, it works, until it goes unfunctional also. At first I thought this was VoodooHDAAudio's faut, but also AppleAzaliaHDAudio causes the same problem... so I guess there's is some kind of IRQ interrupt sharing conflict? :/ I tried DisableTimerIRQ, but it doesn't make any difference. The network adapter seem to go down always after this appears in Kernel Log:

kernel[0]: PCMDIR_PLAY: Stream setup nid=10: format=0x1831, digFormat=0x0001

kernel[0]: VoodooHDAEngine[0x7438000]::performAudioEngineStop

kernel[0]: calling channelStop() for channel 0

kernel[0]: VoodooHDADevice[0x7289000]::performPowerStateChange(2, 1)

could it be that sound driver is also powering down ethernet device accidentally? ...

• 2 weeks later...

great work, I agree!!

however, I get random failures from the driver under 10.6.4 with the 10.4.0 legacy kernel (AMD proc). I'm running it in 32bit (arch=i386) and I have a MCP51 eth chip.

After booting it works fine, and when I have some traffic for a time (random, but tends to happen more often if I start heavy traffic apps such as skype) the whole eth just drops on my MacOS.

I mean, I can't even ping my router or my other computers in the LAN.

If I do a

ifconfig en0 down

and

ifconfig en0 up

it works again, but only for a limited time. Then it drops again.

I've tried so far disabling the use of these MSI things. still no fix.

about forcedeth or other drivers, no problem cause I did a retail install and just put in nForceLAN.kext, no other stuff.

kernel.log complains about some link problem (?)

Nov 11 22:05:22 grosser kernel[0]: nForceLAN(en0): enabling interrupts with mask: 0x000000df and msiEnable: 0x00000000  
Nov 11 22:05:22 grosser kernel[0]: nForceLAN(en0): Network link down.

but I think this comes from my ifconfig's

It's strange because in Debian as well as in Win7 it works w/o any problems (triple boot ftw :D)

Should I try any more things or just buy a cheap realtek PCI card? :thumbsup_anim:

thx in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you! This is a live saver!

The LAN on my Gigabyte M57SLi-S4 is working properly now~ W00t!

However, I also face the same situation with intmain123. The card would drop if heavy traffic occurs, i.e. first time software update. If there is any suggestions, I would be greatly appreciate it.

OK, a bit poking around and I found another solution, which semi-works:

Basically, I removed the en0's LAN driver, and put the device string into the nForceEthernet.kext. Use osx86 tool, I install the nForceEthernet, reboot, and Viola, everything works great. I got great speed, great connection. But one caveat, I got kernel panic sometime, every hour or two. Sometimes it can be worse.

I am not quite experienced in dealing with KP, but I did some initial test around that problem. I re-installed en0' LAN driver and removed the nForceEthernet, things went back to normal. By normal, I mean internet drops every 80Mb is reached. Then I updated the IONetworkingFamily.kext to 1.6, with nForceEthernet. Didn't change the fact that KP still exists. I did also, learnt from somewhere, manually set the ethernet to 100TX. While this can definitely give me longer surfing and downloading time, it still can lead to KP every 2 hours.

Could anyone help me with the KP issue? I have a feeling that this is addressable, but I just didn't open the right door for now. Any help would be appreciated.

@ eno

Hi,

Test machine HP Mini 311, 00:0a.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: nVidia Corporation MCP79 Ethernet [10de:0ab0] (rev b1)

I compiled the driver from latest source, and works but I have one major bug, on heavy load connection drops and remain like that until reboot, any idea how this can be fixed?

With original driver, no such issue but after sleep it fail to reenable interrupts.

Maybe I can do it using DSDT to write some registers.

So far I could enable MSI writing zero to Offset (0x4F), but no matter what I do I can't reenable interrupts, the register is locked or I miss something.

I saw you fixed such bug in own source, do you mind to share some tips?

Thanks!

Hi Guys ! After update from 10.6.0 to 10.6.5 my INTERNET stoped work, and write me this http://imglink.ru/show-image.php?id=d57840...674d5c7912993ac. My motherboard is AsRock K10N78D and i have Nforce lan but before i not used any nForce kexts for internet, because net work withaut kexts. I try to use nForce.kext but not worked. What i need to internet start work ??

P.S Sorry for my bad English :D

64.6 doesn't work for me as well. Booting in 32bit mode, the system profile shows the lan port with an IP address and all that. It appears as everything is fine however there is no internet connect. Web pages will not load, I cannot sign onto AIM, system update does not work etc....