Boot-132 Loaders for Retail Vanilla Leopard Install in a Disk Partition

MACinized

90 posts in this topic

hi guys,

I accidentally wiped my hack so I'm installing again.

I created a boot-132 CD, booted off it, partitioned my drive with GUID, installed leopard. booted no probs from CD, updated to 10.5.5 :)

now I try to install chameleon and copy the boot file to / and the Extras/Extensions to / as well. Nothing boots, just a blinking cursor. I always have to boot from CD.

What gives?!!

And what's this bit about using fdisk to mark a partition active on a drive that's GUID?!

any help much appreciated.

cheers,

Matt

replace the (hidden) boot file in / w/ the one from your boot-132-disc. may be worth it also to fdisk.

And what's this bit about using fdisk to mark a partition active on a drive that's GUID?!

you just answered your own question. some intel chipsets require you to set the protective gpt partition as active before they will consider any GPT partitions as boot candidates.

fdisk -e /dev/diskXsY

f 1

w

q

surely an active partition doesn't mean anything in gpt? How can fdisk alter anything on a gpt?

I have copied boot to / but I did it in finder. Are u saying I have to do it in terminal because the file is hidden?

Cheers

doesn't matter how u replaced the "boot" file as long as you're able to.

partitions under gpt scheme can surely be fdisk(ed) & set any of them active. try it. :)

surely an active partition doesn't mean anything in gpt? How can fdisk alter anything on a gpt?

I have copied boot to / but I did it in finder. Are u saying I have to do it in terminal because the file is hidden?

Cheers

dude, just beleive me... some intel chipsets require the GPT protective partition to be flagged as active before they'll consider them a boot-candidate. it was the case on my old Intel 945 board and on many newer intels.

Hey MACinized, i'm going to be in the process of trying to create my own boot-132 disk and I was wondering how do i know what files its most depending on? I'm not sure of what ones to install or replace. Thanks

these are the minimum required kexts:

ACPIPS2Nub.kext
ApplePS2Controller.kext
dsmos.kext
IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext
SMBIOSEnabler.kext

other kexts that u might need are for the graphics/display (i.e. natit or nvkush, etc.), audio (i.e. alcinject) but modded applehda needs to be in retail leopard's /s/l/extensions, ethernet/lan, reboot/sleep fix.

actually, i'm trying to get the confirmation from the commuity that if your hardware is on the HCL of efi-x, the minimum required kexts (i.e. original boot-132 disc loader) would be enough. that no other kexts are needed to make graphics/display, audio, lan, reboot/sleep to work.

kindly post your feedbacks.

dude, just beleive me... some intel chipsets require the GPT protective partition to be flagged as active before they'll consider them a boot-candidate. it was the case on my old Intel 945 board and on many newer intels.

Right. I've done absolutely everything I can think of with this and nothing works! I can't get anything to boot other than CD. I've tried to get things to boot from a USB drive and I just get the blinking cursor - what does that mean btw? no boot disk?

I've got 1 disk, formatted as GUID, with leopard installed in 1 partition and the other as a data partition. The leopard partition is the 2nd partition on the disk, does this matter?

The 1st partition was a 1gb 'boot' partition but as I couldn't get anywhere with that, I decided to try and get it to just boot the leopard partition. I've copied boot to / and I've created the /Extra/Extensions folder with my kexts in it. These are the same files that boot from CD with no problems so I know that are all ok. I've installed EFI Chameleon via OSXTools to the leopard partition. I've then run fdisk (via OSXTools) on the leopard partition and rebooted - blinking cursor. I'm using EFI strings and these are working as I expect so once I've got the bootloader from the CD, everything on the HD is ok I think.

What am I doing wrong?! It's driving me crazy.

Any help much appreciated.

Matt

bump!

MACinized - any thoughts?!

hi there GingerPrince. i can only provide answers based on my experience, which is provided in the guide. can't really answer questions regarding other methods used/mixed w/ the guide.

if you're interested, u may also try this guide w/c allows (pre)loading of com.apple.Boot.plist (where u can specify efi strings) w/ boot-132-chameleon. :angel:

I have some questions regarding the USB-boot-132 image. I've tried several ways of copying it to my 8 GB USB keychain drive and when I boot from it, nothing ever happens.

Here are my questions:

1) Should I partition it a specific way beforehand? I've tried MBR and GUID.

2) Should I format the drive a specific way beforehand? I've tried OSX Extended and FAT.

3) What is the proper way to copy the files from the USB-boot-132 image to my disk? I've tried using the "Restore" tool in Disk Utility and manually copying the files over.

4) Should I have to do anything else to the disk after the files are copied over? I've tried running fdisk and installing EFI_v8 to my drive through the OSx86Tools application

5)What should I see if it is working?

Once my machine finishes the BIOS stuff, I'm assuming I should see the EFI boot screen where it asks me to "Press any key for kernel options" and I can choose what drive to boot. That is where I would choose my DVD drive so I can install from the retail OSX disc, correct?

I have some questions regarding the USB-boot-132 image. I've tried several ways of copying it to my 8 GB USB keychain drive and when I boot from it, nothing ever happens.

Here are my questions:

1) Should I partition it a specific way beforehand? I've tried MBR and GUID.

2) Should I format the drive a specific way beforehand? I've tried OSX Extended and FAT.

3) What is the proper way to copy the files from the USB-boot-132 image to my disk? I've tried using the "Restore" tool in Disk Utility and manually copying the files over.

4) Should I have to do anything else to the disk after the files are copied over? I've tried running fdisk and installing EFI_v8 to my drive through the OSx86Tools application

5)What should I see if it is working?

Once my machine finishes the BIOS stuff, I'm assuming I should see the EFI boot screen where it asks me to "Press any key for kernel options" and I can choose what drive to boot. That is where I would choose my DVD drive so I can install from the retail OSX disc, correct?

(atm) u cannot boot from optical drive using boot-132-usb/hdd. use your boot-132-disc instead.

allow me also to recommend this other guide instead since it provides support for efi-strings. consider it as an "ugprade" to the present boot-132 loader approach. :thumbsup_anim:

good luck and enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much - this worked for me. For some reason it kept telling me that the dmg I got out of the zip file (the USB loader one) was corrupt, but finally I just mounted the thing and repaired it. After that, it worked like a charm.

I did the restore, swapped initrd.img files, then did the terminal bits, and my system booted right up. WOW is it faster loading this stuff from a disk partition than from a CD! =)

I did have a question, though. Do I have to do anything if I make changes to my initrd.img file, or is that "boot partition" semi-permanently going to work regardless of changes?

Thanks so much - this worked for me. For some reason it kept telling me that the dmg I got out of the zip file (the USB loader one) was corrupt, but finally I just mounted the thing and repaired it. After that, it worked like a charm.

I did the restore, swapped initrd.img files, then did the terminal bits, and my system booted right up. WOW is it faster loading this stuff from a disk partition than from a CD! =)

I did have a question, though. Do I have to do anything if I make changes to my initrd.img file, or is that "boot partition" semi-permanently going to work regardless of changes?

u need not worry about adding/removing kext(s) in initrd as long as u have the minimum required ones.

if you're interested in having efi-strings support w/ boot-132, u can check this guide. consider it as an evolved boot-132 approach. ;)

u need not worry about adding/removing kext(s) in initrd as long as u have the minimum required ones.

if you're interested in having efi-strings support w/ boot-132, u can check this guide. consider it as an evolved boot-132 approach. :lol:

I'll be sure to do that - my only concern is that it took me a while just to get the booting from a partition to work! =) Of course, now that I have the right files and kexts for 80% of my hardware, I can easily get back to this point if I manage to mungle something up.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R motherboard (not EP35, but the original P35), is there a boot-132 ISO for this motherboard? Or if not, what's the best one to work with this motherboard? Can someone please help? Thanks in advance.

I also have a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R rev 1 and I'm also looking for a boot-123 ISO for it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all. Really great information here. I am a complete noob and have only done four things so far: Installed Kalyway 10.5.2 on a PC, got super excited, ordered all new parts for a new OSx86, and starting reading these forums in anticipation.

I am planning on using the MACinized process described here.

Note my hardware in my signature. I would like to create the Boot-132 ISO now so everything goes smooth when the parts arrive.

But I am a total noob when it comes to all of this and am getting very confused. I would love any help on figuring out what I need for my motherboard, video card, and audio to work smoothly as well as sleep, etc. I can find various references to video card stuff with NVinject

The Hardware Compatibility List has an AppleHDA.kext for the mobo. Or there's also the Install Guide from lensboard with all kexts for this exact mobo here.

The HCL also has info on the 9800 GTX but not my 9800 GT.

Again, sorry for the noob question and it might be painfully obvious when I'm actually doing it and not preparing for it, but I'd love to have the ISO ready and know exactly what I'm going to do because if I don't, I know I'll stay up all night when all of the parts arrive working on it.

I sincerely thank everyone for their help in advance!

Hi all. Really great information here. I am a complete noob and have only done four things so far: Installed Kalyway 10.5.2 on a PC, got super excited, ordered all new parts for a new OSx86, and starting reading these forums in anticipation.

I am planning on using the MACinized process described here.

Note my hardware in my signature. I would like to create the Boot-132 ISO now so everything goes smooth when the parts arrive.

But I am a total noob when it comes to all of this and am getting very confused. I would love any help on figuring out what I need for my motherboard, video card, and audio to work smoothly as well as sleep, etc. I can find various references to video card stuff with NVinject

The Hardware Compatibility List has an AppleHDA.kext for the mobo. Or there's also the Install Guide from lensboard with all kexts for this exact mobo here.

The HCL also has info on the 9800 GTX but not my 9800 GT.

Again, sorry for the noob question and it might be painfully obvious when I'm actually doing it and not preparing for it, but I'd love to have the ISO ready and know exactly what I'm going to do because if I don't, I know I'll stay up all night when all of the parts arrive working on it.

I sincerely thank everyone for their help in advance!

from lensboard's guide, just get all the necessary extra kexts for your pc/mobo. then u can use my boot-132-disc maker (see sig).

for your video card, u may try the efi-string provided here.

good luck.

After having issues with a few boot 132 iso's I have tried to make my own. I have successfully made a the iso and burnt with disk utility but my pc won't reconize the disc. I have also tried using the slimboot method but keep getting this error:

SlimBuild v2.0 ©Galaxy 2008.

Special Thanks To:

munky - getting the public interested in SlimBuild.

BladeRunner - com.apple.Boot.plist RAMDISK population / sript ideas.

Testers - for their input on the scripts usability.

##### PREVIOUSBUILD SESSION EXECUTED #####

This session's build time is 2008-11-23-171852

This session's files will be available at PreviousBuilds/Build.2008-11-23-171852

##### MKEXT CREATION PHASE #####

Permissions are being set for the following extensions:

find: Extensions: No such file or directory

All extensions have proper permissions for meta-kernel extension cache creation.

Performing kextcache operation, please wait a moment...

Meta-kernel extension cache creation failed! Aborting!

mobilebinges-macbook-pro-15:boot-132-disc mobilebinge$

With the default 132 loader I'm getting a ghost buster icon.

Any ideas what to try next?

Thanks

After having issues with a few boot 132 iso's I have tried to make my own. I have successfully made a the iso and burnt with disk utility but my pc won't reconize the disc. I have also tried using the slimboot method but keep getting this error:

SlimBuild v2.0 ©Galaxy 2008.

Special Thanks To:

munky - getting the public interested in SlimBuild.

BladeRunner - com.apple.Boot.plist RAMDISK population / sript ideas.

Testers - for their input on the scripts usability.

##### PREVIOUSBUILD SESSION EXECUTED #####

This session's build time is 2008-11-23-171852

This session's files will be available at PreviousBuilds/Build.2008-11-23-171852

##### MKEXT CREATION PHASE #####

Permissions are being set for the following extensions:

find: Extensions: No such file or directory

All extensions have proper permissions for meta-kernel extension cache creation.

Performing kextcache operation, please wait a moment...

Meta-kernel extension cache creation failed! Aborting!

mobilebinges-macbook-pro-15:boot-132-disc mobilebinge$

With the default 132 loader I'm getting a ghost buster icon.

Any ideas what to try next?

Thanks

to use slimbuild you must run the script as root. Do the following:

cd slimbuild-directory
sudo ./slimbuild2.sh
your-password Enter

The next thing is the "gohst buster icon". You should *always* use the -v kernel flag when experimenting with something new. How else will you ever learn what is happening. If you haven't used the -v flag you shouldn't be asking "what to do next" because no one can help you without that data.

You should be entering something like the following at the install dvd F8 prompt:

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.xxx  -v  boot-uuid=your-long-disk-uuid

to use slimbuild you must run the script as root. Do the following:

cd slimbuild-directory
sudo ./slimbuild2.sh
your-password Enter

The next thing is the "gohst buster icon". You should *always* use the -v kernel flag when experimenting with something new. How else will you ever learn what is happening. If you haven't used the -v flag you shouldn't be asking "what to do next" because no one can help you without that data.

You should be entering something like the following at the install dvd F8 prompt:

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.xxx  -v  boot-uuid=your-long-disk-uuid

Thanks for the reply.

I'm wondering if I'm doing something basic wrong since I have been trying to boot with -v but after I insert the dvd in the drive that was running the boot 132 in just goes into a grey loading screen.

This is the process I've been doing.

1. Setup to boot from dvd then hd

2. Insert boot 132 into dvd drive

3 After Darwin load screen comes up I hit 9f and -v then swap 10.5 retail in place of the boot 132 cd.

4. Hit enter and loader starts then freezes.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm wondering if I'm doing something basic wrong since I have been trying to boot with -v but after I insert the dvd in the drive that was running the boot 132 in just goes into a grey loading screen.

This is the process I've been doing.

1. Setup to boot from dvd then hd

2. Insert boot 132 into dvd drive

3 After Darwin load screen comes up I hit 9f and -v then swap 10.5 retail in place of the boot 132 cd.

4. Hit enter and loader starts then freezes.

OK! We need to go back to some basics. You have the sequence wrong. Let's try it this way:

1. boot from the boot-132 cd

2. at the first prompt press F8

3. Press Esc - you should then see a prompt asking for the hex drive ID

4. eject the boot-132 cd and insert the install dvd

5. when the dvd drive activity stops don't enter anything - just press enter

6. when you see the prompt from the install dvd press F8

7. at the next prompt enter the following or something close to it

• rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.xxxx -v boot-uuid=your-install-dvd-uuid

• or enter

• rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.xxxx -v rd=diskXsY

If you don't know the uuid for your install dvd, insert it in an OS X system and start disk utility -> select the install dvd -> select the "Info" icon

You can use the rd=diskXsY format in place of the boot-uuid= if you wish, but the value for diskXsY can and will change depending on the boot sequence and the boot-uuid will never change.

If you wish to avoid most of that typing you can go back and recreate your boot-132 CD. Add a com.apple.Boot.plist file to the root of your initrd.img file. Make the required changes to the example below to match your install dvd and desired kernel.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Graphics Mode</key>
	<string>"1280x1024x24"</string>
	<key>Kernel</key>
	<string>rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo-b1</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>boot-uuid=A1886FF9-833F-3DC5-A810-CDB842AC58C9 -v </string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>7</string>
</dict>
</plist>