Just want is needed to get an 8800gt working in OSX?

Knacker

7 posts in this topic

I just bought an 8800gt for my 10.5.4 (upgraded from kalyway 10.5.2) hackintosh, and now I can't get it to work except in VESA mode. What gives? I thought 8800gt's were supported natively.

Anyway, I just assumed the problem was that when I ran the ./movevideodrivers script, it took the native video drivers from my OSX installation and put them in the backup folder.

So I took all the kexts from the Nvidia drivers backup directory, made sure my device ID string was in it, and loaded them with the Kext loader. Still won't work.

I've also followed instructions on several forum posts regarding getting an 8800gt working in 10.5.3/2, but those don't work and I'm kind of leery about using kexts from thereas I think they may impart some instability given they're just modified 10.5.3 kexts anyway.

What gives?

I have a sparkle 8800gt 512MB card working fine but it was a pain in the ar5E to get it working. I used the 10.5.6 graphics drivers found on this site. when i get home tonight i will look for the proper link and post it here. or just search the forums for my posts, ive already posted it under graphics recently.

nope, it didn't work.

I was never able to install the leopard graphics update, could that cause the problem?

The 8800GT and everything above that *require* the updated video kexts in the Leopard GRAPHICS Update to be installed. If you can't install it normally, try opening the .pkg with pacifist (http://www.charlessoft.com) and install it with that program.