Sell Powerbook and get myself a devloper machine?

7 posts in this topic

I have a power book recently purchased with apple care. You think it would be worth selling and getting a dev kit with the money? I spent 2700 on the powerbook im certian i should b able to get atleast 2000 4 it. I mean id dev rather hav a dev kid, now if i could only the mb was small enough 4 a laptop.

I have a power book recently purchased with apple care. You think it would be worth selling and getting a dev kit with the money? I spent 2700 on the powerbook im certian i should b able to get atleast 2000 4 it. I mean id dev rather hav a dev kid, now if i could only the mb was small enough 4 a laptop.

the only problem is you only lease the dev kit and have to give it back to apple after a certain amount of time.

• 2 weeks later...

yea... if your planning on running VirtualPC on a Mac it's best to have a G5.

I have a 1.8Ghz iMac G5 and VirtualPC actually runs pretty quick.

For the price of your Powerbook u could have gotten a Dual 2.7Ghz G5 Powermac (student discount).... i would have suggested that if VirtualPC was a must.

The G4 in the Powerbook is terrible for VirtualPC... has alot to do with it's slow bus speed.

I have a power book recently purchased with apple care.

That means, let's become clear about that, you own a full-featured machine that runs a mature OS and can execute all current Macintosh software natively without any restrictions or errors.

You think it would be worth selling and getting a dev kit

That means, you want to rent (has to be returned to Apple after roughly a year, with no refund) a quickly assembled demonstration package with cheap stock parts that lacks many interfaces and allows you to execute ordinary Macintosh software only via a compatibility layer. A compatibility layer that might still have some serious errors (as it isn't thoroughly tested yet), is slow and, as we already know, not fully compatible with all applications. Which are also exactly the reasons for the existence of said developer kit, as its primary reason is to allow porting PPC to native x86 code and prepare the launch of the real consumer products.

with the money? I spent 2700 on the powerbook im certian i should b able to get atleast 2000 4 it. I mean id dev rather hav a dev kid, now if i could only the mb was small enough 4 a laptop.

How dumb. :P

What did you get the PB for? Working? Gaming?

The developer machine is neither intended for working nor for gaming. It is meant to serve as a development system. Are you a developer? Then get one, otherwise don't.