Spore and Hackintosh

stellarola

23 posts in this topic

Yea,

So I have I might be one of the only people facing this problem. So I load Spore on my hackintosh and once I try to play it I get a black screen with a mouse cursor in the top left corner. At that point it appears that the game has frozen my machine and I have to restart.

My rig is this...

DFI DK Lanparty P35 mobo

Nvidia 7900GS and I've also tried 8600GT with no luck

6GB DDR2 800mhz ram

Leo 10.5.4 Mostly vanilla install :thumbsup_anim:

Lemme know if anyone else has experienced this problem or if you've gotten the game to work.

Thanks,

-Stell

Yea,

So I have I might be one of the only people facing this problem. So I load Spore on my hackintosh and once I try to play it I get a black screen with a mouse cursor in the top left corner. At that point it appears that the game has frozen my machine and I have to restart.

Lemme know if anyone else has experienced this problem or if you've gotten the game to work.

Sorry I can't help with the problem but I did install Spore today and it plays fine so far. I am still running 10.5.2 so I had to edit some plists to install and then run it (it wanted 10.5.3 at minimum), but so far it is OK.

:-)

I tried googling and found one solution that somehow fixed it. The solution was to trash cide_noui file from the Contents > MacOS folder.

Note: 'somehow' means that the game still occasionally crash but definitely not during start up.

Working just fine over here with my setup (described at the bottom).

I am running both NVKush and the EFI string as far as I know (I've done both, I don't really know which one takes precedence over the other), but it's working just fine, consistently. All the way in Space stage now. :thumbsup_anim:

not working here either, just crashes with a report.

specs bellow

working here for me on both my machines, specs are :

p5k premium & p5w-dh

4gigs of RAM in each

8800GTS and 7950GT

using EFI string for 8800GTS and NVKush on 7950gt

post some crash logs and maybe it will reveal something.

Working fine on my system! :)

Does anyone know how to import saved games from the windows version?

Edit: I managed to transfer my saved games using this guide: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=558199

The problem is I can open my saved game and it's in exactly where I saved on Windows, but my creature is gone... :-/

Maybe someone knows how to solve this issue?

• 2 weeks later...

Ya my problem is that it sleeps the display. I can hear the startup music and I assume its going to the menu but I can't access anything. I can't minimize or run in windowed mode. I have to restart. If I leave it open for a long time, it minimizes the game and says to quit the game, I need to do it through the menu. I'm not sure why its doing that but I'm assuming its something to do with the graphics card. I tried hooking it up to and external display with no luck.

Specs

Kalyway 10.5.2 upgraded to 10.5.4

Dell Inspirion 1525

2.0gHz Core 2 Duo

3GB RAM

Intel X3100

250GB HD

1280x800 Display

here's how I get around the sleeping display on my inspiron.

1st set up a sleep display corner in expose,

I then run spore, listen and wait for the video to play and once I can hear the menu music I push alt+enter which makes it windowed. I move my mouse so that it will activate the sleep display hot corner the I move my mouse back to wake the display and there I have spore running windowed on the desktop.

Let me know how it goes Hax0r3. The issues I have with doing this is the fact you cant run Spore in a window by default which is a shame but by doing what I said above each time you can at least run it.

Good luck!

Ok Chaz,

I got it to work in full-screen mode. What you have to do is start up the game as you did. Go to options and set the resolution to 1280x800 (if that is your native resolution). I also set all the gfx settings to medium and the default video cache for my system was 1024 (I have 3gb RAM) I believe that setting the resolution is what fixed it, but I'm mentioning the rest just in case. I believe the autodetection messed up the display. Quit Spore through the menu and start it up again. If that doesn't work, you can always start it like you did before. If this doesn't work for you for some reason, reply and I'll try and help out, even though I'm still a noob :)

Ok Chaz,

I got it to work in full-screen mode. What you have to do is start up the game as you did. Go to options and set the resolution to 1280x800 (if that is your native resolution). I also set all the gfx settings to medium and the default video cache for my system was 1024 (I have 3gb RAM) I believe that setting the resolution is what fixed it, but I'm mentioning the rest just in case. I believe the autodetection messed up the display. Quit Spore through the menu and start it up again. If that doesn't work, you can always start it like you did before. If this doesn't work for you for some reason, reply and I'll try and help out, even though I'm still a noob :P

:( Thanks hax0r3! I'll give it a try right away and I'll let you know how I get on.

-EDIT-

It worked superb for me! Thanks for the update. Spore seems to run better in full screen than it did when I was playing it windowed. :D