Problem with the 3870?

zoulou33

14 posts in this topic

Hi,

i finally manage to have my hackintosh almost 100% functionnal. But I still have issues with, i think, my radeon 3870.

First, i have a:

SAPPHIRE RADEON 3870 DDR3 512MO PCIE

to be able to get it work i have to use old driver a natit.kext from 15 january 2008. None of the more recent package were able to work. (natit.kext from 23 february 2008, ATI radeon HD 3870.pkg from 29 may 2008 will not work)

The problem now is that i suspect the 3870 to crash some applications:

-> sometimes in xbench running Quartz Graphic Test (application crash)

-> sometimes in Motion (crash, i need to restart the computer)

-> some glitches in the opengl test in "opengl extensions viewer"

Recently i manage to get working the shutdown/sleep function. But when i when i wake the computer from sleep, the screen is a mosaic of color, totally unusable (but i suspect the whole thing to function correctly, because i heard the HDD, the fan and the whole thing...).

Any help will be appreciate. I think about flashing the 3870 with a more compatible 3870, may be the pc/mac version? Is this a good idea?

I tried to install the 3870 on a windows pc, and run the opengl extension viewer. Every thing was fine. There was no artefacts, so I conclude that the card is not the problem.

These artefacts appear on everything that implies OpenGL, and Core Image I think. I saw them on:

-> Motion

-> Front Row

-> In OpenGL Extension Viewer

And I suppose they are in cause in the fact that i got a disco screen when i wake up the system from sleep...

Any other one has ever got these problems?

SAPPHIRE RADEON 3870 DDR3 512MO PCIE

to be able to get it work i have to use old driver a natit.kext from 15 january 2008. None of the more recent package were able to work. (natit.kext from 23 february 2008, ATI radeon HD 3870.pkg from 29 may 2008 will not work)

Hi zoulou33,

Can you please post a link to the old natit.kext that works for your 3870 ? I have tried various versions of natit and so far none of them worked.

thanks

Below is the link to the NATIT that worked for me. Remember also that i install the driver "ATI radeon HD 3870.pkg" from 29 may 2008, and before restart, i install the NATIT with the application "kext helper".

To candykane: if it worked perfectly with a downgraded version, you can be sure that i will stick to an old version. But actually, i think it's more a problem with the Natit that do not support some specificity of this card... May be a slightly different rom, i don't know... Remember that i have QE/CI enable with almost no problem...

Anyway, i just receive another Sapphire 3870, but this time DDR4 and fanless, and you know what? It worked just fine, no more trouble with the artefacts, and no more disco screen when my computer wake up from sleep.

So definitively, there is something wrong with the Natit file and some 3870 card...

Natit.kext.zip

to candycane: I got it, thanks but unfortunately it doesn't work. I got the same result as with the all the other natit versions.

to zoulou33: thanks. meanwhile I got the card working using trikais so I'll leave the experiments aside for a while as I had enough of them already. I'll give your method a try next time I'll need to install osx thou.

As you said it might have something to do with natit not being compatible with some cards that have a different bios.

Good to hear that the new card works better.

Anyway, i just receive another Sapphire 3870, but this time DDR4 and fanless, and you know what? It worked just fine, no more trouble with the artefacts, and no more disco screen when my computer wake up from sleep.

So definitively, there is something wrong with the Natit file and some 3870 card...

Natit.kext.zip

That will be a fanless/passive "SAPPHIRE ULTIMATE HD 3870 512MB GDDR4 PCI-E", right?

I have those and haven´t got it running with a variety of drivers / kexts / natits.

But i dont know if the rest of my setup (AMD, nforce 4/5, sli) affects the compatibility as well.

yes it's the "SAPPHIRE ULTIMATE HD 3870 512MB GDDR4 PCI-E".

I think that a good way to find a working card is to buy one on the internet, and if it doesn't work you send it back. Here in France there's a law that allow us to send back within 7 days any product bought by internet. Of course you have to pay the shipping fee.

yes it's the "SAPPHIRE ULTIMATE HD 3870 512MB GDDR4 PCI-E".

Thanks for that card info which works.

Q:

Does it work without NATIT or other injectors - means like Apple ATI 3870 - out of the box ?.

If not, what way do you use: gfxstring , or Natit (which), newest ATI drivers or some older ones (white menue fix and other older ATI3870.pkg)

Thanks

I use working 3850, MSI 512 GDDR3, but need gfxstring and TRIAKIS ATINVRV, but can use the newest QTI drivers - today 10.5.5 (drv: 1.5.30)

any may upgrade to yours if it works out of the box (no natit or other injectors).

With this card i just have installed "ATI radeon HD 3870.pkg" from 29 may 2008. And it worked with nothing else to do. But I really can't know for sure if any "SAPPHIRE ULTIMATE HD 3870 512MB GDDR4 PCI-E" will work the same way. Because I guess, that the bios may be different even in a same product...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...