ALC889A problem - Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3

abhi93

57 posts in this topic

[AUDIO FIX]

Download this .zip, it has the necessary kexts and instructions on how to install them.

http://www.mediafire.com/?41xsb1rjyjp

============================================================================

I recently purchased a gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 motherboard and successfully installed kalyway 10.5.2 and sucessfully updated to 10.5.3 using kalyway 10.5.3 combo update.

Everything works EXCEPT the audo. I have been trying for 2 whole days to get any sound out of the ALC889A but nothing!

I tried everything I came across including replacing AppleHDA.kext and ALCinject.kext, using a dump with AppleHDAPatcherv1.20 but nothing happens!

Please help!!!!

Here are my specs:

Motherboard: gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3

CPU: Core 2 duo E8400 (3 GHZ, 1333mhz bus speed)

Memory: 2GB DDR2 667mhz

Graphics: Nvidia Geforce 8600GT

Audio: Realtek ALC889A

HDD: 1 80GB IDE

2 80GB SATA

LAN: 2 x Realtek 8111C chips

ive got a similar problem. need a functional alc998a kext as every kext ive tried hasnt worked.

Tried the google searches, tried turanga, tried some random suggestion from a guy who got his working by installing a cmedia kext in there also.

Ive spend days trying to find a working one, if anyone can help, greatly appreciated.

Everything else works except for audio.

Kalyway 10.5.2

G-EP45-DS4P

Delete previous applehda.kext, drag & drop the new one (attached) into the extensions folder, open a terminal and type

sudo -s
(password)

cd /system/library/extensions
chmod -R 755 * && chown -R root:wheel *
cd ..
rm extensions.mkext
kextcache -a i386 -e

reboot with -f

use it with alcinject or with efi strings...

AppleHDA.kext.zip

Roisoft, thankyou very much for your reply.

I have applied your kext and followed your directions at least twice. I added the -f flag to my boot and applied the EFI Chameleon patch using osx86 tools by pcwiz.

I also added the alcinjext.kext i found by doing a quick google search and discarding the version of AppleHDA supplied within it.

Unfortunately, it hasn't worked for me.

I really appreciate your help though. Any other ideas?

Model Identifier: EP45-DS4P

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 4

L2 Cache: 8 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version: BOOT.EFI.V80

do you have "enable" azaliaudio in your bios? try with this hda.kext and Hdaenabler instead of alcinject.

AppleHDA_1.kext.zip

HDAEnabler.kext.zip

Yes i do and it is in 'automatic' mode. Enabled is the other option. Wat shud I do? I am goin to use ur instructions now see if it works!

Thnx for the help btw.

Aargh! No success! Do you have any other methods plz? I have had no sound for almost a week now...

Do you think any other distros will help? I am planning to use iDeneb v1.1 10.5.4 Leopard OS X distro. Do you know if this is gonna work?

Thnx for all the help!

Thanks again for the reply Roisoft.

I do have something similar in my BIOS, instead of Azalia Audio I have "Azalia Codec", which is set to automatic. It is either "automatic" or "disabled".

I then removed Alcinject and went with your HDAEnabler option, which unfortunately didn't work.

I then downloaded EFIStudio and gave it a shot however when I selected AZAL, Add Device it says AZUL is not available on this machine.

I am however using the Chameleon EFI and not v8 which is available through EFI Studio. Do you think this will make a difference?

Is there something I am not doing correctly here? I'm using kext helper to install the kexts.. Incorrect?

Thanks again for all your help, it is very much appreciated.

Thanks roisoft, i'll give it a go when i get home.

Peach-os, thanks for your input however I have already tried Taruga's patched files which didn't work for me. I had the same issue as the next post in the link you sent.

Also I am on a p45 chipset mobo. If you still think it should work and i'm just doing something wrong please let me know.

Cheers

Roisoft, Peach os, I cannot thankyou enough.

Using a combination of both your methods, I was finally able to get my sound working correctly. 100% working output, line in, line out etc.

I tried Peachos's link to the kexts which as I suspected didn't work, but after using Roisofts HDA method, after a reboot it worked correctly.

So for anyone else out there who needs to get this working this is how I solved the issue.

1. Delete the previous applehda.kext

2. Download Turuga's patched files using this link http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=857044

3. Apply the kexts using

sudo -s
(password)

cd ..
rm extensions.mkext
kextcache -a i386 -e

4. Set to "enable" in bios, download efistudio from the link above

5. I had to use HDA which automatically inserted the string, and then add to the boot.plist

6. Restart

7. Rejoice in the awesomeness of sound

Thankyou again to both Roisoft and Peachos, Abhi93 I hope this helps.

Thankyou again to this community for helping me out.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently had a request for more detail on how I got ALC889a working.

I have attached the kext and efistudio.

1. Delete the previous applehda.kext at /System/Library/Extensions and any other sound kext you may have installed. do nothing on a fresh install

2. Download attachments and copy kext to /System/Library/Extensions

3. Apply the kexts using

sudo -s
(password)

cd ..
rm extensions.mkext
kextcache -a i386 -e

then restart

4. Set to "enable" in your BIOS. Then run EFIStudio

5. Select the device type as HDA, then click the add device button, it should have automatically inserted a whole bunch of code, then click the add to the boot.plist button

6. Restart

If this doesnt work for you let me know and ill help further.

alc889a.zip

Hi there!

I intend to buy the same mainboard with you but i cannot find much information about it so I really need information from you ;) . Can use give me some detail about your system working status ?

Do the firewire ports works ? Do all the USB ports works ? Any problem at all with the LAN (Because this board have two NIC chips, so which one works ?) ? All the SATA drives works ?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Everyone,

Apologies for the delayed response.

For Ducko, my system is listed below.

Model Name: Mac

Model Identifier: EP45-DS4P

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 4

L2 Cache: 8 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version: BOOT.EFI.V80

The motherboard is listed as the Model Identifier. I freshly installed Kalyway 10.5.2 to my machine then followed the instructions previously listed.

Unfortunately for those who are having trouble, the steps i posted were the exact steps i followed. For those having trouble turning on the Azalia codec in the BIOS, keep looking, you will find it. I didnt see it immediately. The best way to find it would be to skim through your motherboard manual. Make sure it is enabled. For those who only have HDA in EFI Studio try the other option.

Another possibility is that you havent got the EFI bootloader. Download OSX86 tools from http://######.com/osx86tools/

Install it and run Install EFI command, I am using Chameleon.

Depending on what distribution of OSX you are using will depend on if this is installed.

Then repeat all of the steps i have previously mentioned.

Good luck