A Guide To Get Your Network Card Started!

38 posts in this topic

Many people have complained of the lack of networking that exists in the Developers version of Mac OSX Tiger, for Intel computers. Unless your networking card is listed on the HCL (http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCLPart#Ethernet) your card will not work out of the box. There is a Darwin x86 kext called Tulip, that may help you get your networking card functioning. It can be found here (http://mirror.optusnet.com.au/sourceforge/d/da/darwin-tulip/darwin_tulip-x86-1-0-0.tar.gz).

The Readme File states:

As a side effect of its ADMtek983/985 support, this driver supports the following cards:

Linksys LNE100

Netgear FA511

Accton EN1217

Abocom FE2500

3Com OfficeConnect 10/100B 3CSOHO100B

a few Microsoft cards

There are probably dozens of other cards it supports, but I don't have an accurate list.

Thus, even if your card is not listed, try it anyways. You may be surprised!

1. Download the Tulip archive, and extract.

2. Within Terminal, move to the folder you just extracted, and type "sudo make install".

3. Upon completion, Tulip is now installed in your /System/Library/Extensions folder. Reboot, and hold your breath.

4. Upon reboot, check your network preferences. If all goes well, you should be able to edit the settings for your built-in ethernet adapter. Now you have networking support!

(*Note - If using the internet, run Safari udner Rosetta to reduce crashes. Also, it may be a good idea to download Mozilla Firefox - Deerpark, here

Source: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Networking_Tulip

Didn't try it myself yet. can anybody confirm if it actually works?

I've got a Soyo SY-P4I 845PE MB and it has built-in networking. The Davicom 9102-Based PCI Fast Ethernet adapter. OSx86 sees it, calls it eth0 but I still have no internet under it. I've ran the various tools that come with OSx86, and still nothing, I even plugged my CAT5 right into the back on my cable modem bypassing my Net Gear router completely.

Now, I searched through the WiKi and didn't find any info to help me, so I wondering if anybody can point me in the right direction or possibley help me with this?

Any help is much appreciated.

I've got a Soyo SY-P4I 845PE MB and it has built-in networking. The Davicom 9102-Based PCI Fast Ethernet adapter. OSx86 sees it, calls it eth0 but I still have no internet under it. I've ran the various tools that come with OSx86, and still nothing, I even plugged my CAT5 right into the back on my cable modem bypassing my Net Gear router completely.

Now, I searched through the WiKi and didn't find any info to help me, so I wondering if anybody can point me in the right direction or possibley help me with this?

Any help is much appreciated.

How you configured it in System Preferences, did you ping to your router, cablemodem, iself?

Wich kext is loaded?

Never looked at the kext, but it won't ping anything, or tell me what hardware it's using. It just says it has a network connection, but when I go to set it up using the guide (Not the assistant) it says everything has failed to connect.

Never looked at the kext, but it won't ping anything, or tell me what hardware it's using. It just says it has a network connection, but when I go to set it up using the guide (Not the assistant) it says everything has failed to connect.

Can you post a Picture of System Preferences on Network Panel?

• 4 weeks later...

:) i got Intel pro 100 Lan card ..... on Asus K8N-E deluxe board... using deadmoo ...... and network inst showing...

the built-in ethernet is dimmed/disabled... adn got TWO serials showing up.... are this modems ?? and i got no modem card in it.?

if i select the serial things... and try to configure TCP/IP manually i cant see ... subnet/gateway options.... nd saving connection.. i cant ping to ISP server.

please please please help.

-----

update i think i need to make a new thread for this,

ok got tulip and unzipped it, tried what it says to do in terminal but to be honest i have no idea what i'm doing there! can any one offer a newbie a helping hand on how to get it installed? tried sudo make install but it says that there is no such file. thanks :)

Not that i'm trying to show off but i got my ethernet working pretty much after installation but with one minor problem. DHCP did not work, i had to input the tcp/ip myself. I'm not sure if this is an isolated issue or it's something that just doesn't work on OSX yet.

Can someone verify this?

thanks

Hello,

I am trying to get my Mac OS X86 online... After the installation of networking tulip (http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Networking_Tulip) there is still no enabled built-in-ethernet B)

The curious thing is: i plugged the hard disk drive with OS X in my old PC with a very default network card with Realteck chip set and Mac OS could recognize the card and I could go online without any problems!

Now I tried the same on my new computer with onBoard network card Yukon Marvel (10/100/1000). It was not recognized. Thus I thought why not using the old network card on my new computer? But there is still no enabled ethernet-adapter :huh:

Why?!! Why does MacOS recognizes this old network card on my old computer and does not recognize the SAME (!!!!!) card on my new one?! (Windows XP on my new computer does not have any problems with this old card thus the card works great)

Otto

Why?!! Why does MacOS recognizes this old network card on my old computer and does not recognize the SAME (!!!!!) card on my new one?! (Windows XP on my new computer does not have any problems with this old card thus the card works great)

Otto

This is nothing strange. You didn't post your chipset but most likely OSX86 doesn't recognize your chipset and PCI bus so anything you plugged into the new PC's bus is not recognized.

Stick with what works, Intel CPU/Intel 915G/L (cost around $125 US). Find posts on:

Build Your Own Mac for $199

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=274&hl=199

• 4 months later...

this def is a newbie question. why do i get this message when trying "sudo make install"??

" we trust you have recied the usual lecture from the lcoal ststem administrator. it usually boils down to these theree things:

1. respect the privacy of others

2. think before you type

3. with great power comes great responsibility

passoword:"

~confused~

The first time you use the sudo command, the system wil give you this 'warning message' to alert you that you can easily screw things up if you don't know what you're doing and use the sudo command to run commands as root (or super-user, abbrev. as su). Alternatively, it is warning you to respect other users' privacy, since you can also use sudo to run commands as any user you want... In other words, the system is telling you "be careful and don't be an a$$". For more details on sudo, type 'man sudo' at the terminal to get the man page (this is the description of the sudo command from that page)

DESCRIPTION

sudo allows a permitted user to execute a command as the superuser or

another user, as specified in the sudoers file. The real and effective

uid and gid are set to match those of the target user as specified in

the passwd file and the group vector is initialized based on the group

file (unless the -P option was specified). If the invoking user is

root or if the target user is the same as the invoking user, no pass-

word is required. Otherwise, sudo requires that users authenticate

themselves with a password by default (NOTE: in the default configura-

tion this is the user's password, not the root password). Once a user

has been authenticated, a timestamp is updated and the user may then

use sudo without a password for a short period of time (5 minutes

unless overridden in sudoers).

thank for the reply. since i did not know the password?? it was never set during the install (10.4.3 F1111A), i ran a sudo -cp command in the readme file of the aforementioned .gz file. However upon reboot, i still don't see any network settings (in system perfence -> internet/network) that will allow me to tweak tcp/ip settings. is it safe to assume that drivers were not installed??

can anyhow tell me what the default root password is??

tx

if you havent set a root password, just your own, you should be able to set it from scratch.

In terminal type:

sudo passwd root

at the password: prompt, type your password,

then it will ask you for the root password twice, enter your chioce of password the same each time & youre done.

alternately, if Im teaching my granny to suck eggs here, please excuse me :-D

If you did a native install, you should have had to set up the administrative user. The password for that user is the root password. If you have trouble, you can boot from your DVD, and there is a utility under the Tool menu for resetting that, i believe. However, perhaps you should start a new thread- this is getting very off topic ;)

Edit: Thanks Hagar, I was a bit slow there :D