VMware 2.0rc1 and OS X Server.....

45 posts in this topic

Just to keep this thread from dying (and to give out some hope...mwahahaha!) I'm gonna try to install JaS 10.5.4 Leo Server on a spare HD, then install Fusion, then try to install Retail Leo Server and see if it works. I know it should work in Leo Client as well, but it's something. Then, if it works, transfer the VM to my Leo Client install. I suspect a similar outcome as brbo, but what the heck!

Here's something to throw at you guys: I installed Leo Server (retail) using a boot-123 (boot 321, whatever it's called :-P) to get it as close to native install as possible (and other than no sound, it was). I installed Fusion and lo and behold I get the exact same thing. I don't know how some people can get it to work on their hackintoshes, but I decided to try some different hardware. At work I have an HP dx2300 that I'm installing JaS 10.5.4 on to see if it'll work. Then I'll try using a boot CD and the retail disk and see. I really wish I had access to a real Mac (besides my 32-bit only Macbook) to maybe be able to dig around and see if there's anything that can be mimicked on or flat out transferred over to a hackintosh.

But let's postulate here for a second. If, let's say, it's a hardware thing, we can assume what it most likely is not - RAM, HD, Optical Drive (DVD ROM), Power Supply, Sound card/device, keyboard, mouse, and monitor - and what it can be - CPU, Chipset, Video card, BIOS, Bios version, BIOS settings, and possible Ethernet adapter. Even if it's not any of the suspected hardware, it could be the drivers used to access them. Video, no prob, just try a different driver/EFI string. Same with Audio (if different drivers are available) and Network. Chipset drivers can be native or just generic. Not sure if there is a driver or some system plugin that accesses the CPU (other than SMBIOS) that could be changed, but let's say there isn't. Could it be that it doesn't see a typical Mac CPU (IE - It instead sees a q6600, E8400, Celeron, etc) and not run? Maybe (but doubtful since the only real difference is speed and # of cores). If after trying all of the above the only thing left in my list is BIOS settings. I already tried changing whatever BIOS options I could on my board, and if it is BIOS related, I'm out of luck unless I try a different BIOS version. But maybe others can try?

Just some thoughts.

Macmeister

Just some thoughts,

Perhaps we need to know a little more information on the people's machines that it worked on. It does not work on either of my Quad Core Q6600 Asus P5W DH systems with 4 gigs of memory. One of those machines is at 10.5.1 with the original 10.5.0 image that first came out for the hackint0sh's, the other machine is running the JAS 10.5.4 Client / Server build that came out. Both are using NVidia 7xxx cards.

The only thing odd about this is that it starts up and hangs. I'd think it wouldn't get that far if it was a cpu flag or something like that.

Has anyone tried this on OS X 10.4.11 (min required OS for Fusion)? I wonder if there's something about the modified Leopard that Fusion doesn't like but maybe isn't an issue on Tiger 10.4.11? I may try it over the weekend on a spare HD if I can locate either my 10.4 DVD (and use Boot 132/EFI) or some 3rd party release. Of course if someone's already tried it and has the same issues it'll save me the trouble...

BTW...I should be able to test it on that work PC I mentioned before sometime Friday.

wait - you get the welcome screen? as in the one after language selection?

no, befor language selection and it stops!

OK, i get it run on VMWare Fusion2, but with "LawlessPPC-Leo-10.5.4-Phenom&AMD", other distribution not working!

ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls - may I present, for your viewing pleasure and at great expense:

post-65366-1224259736_thumb.png

extensions.mkext from a JaS 10.5.4 DVD and NO Extensions folder. I'd like to thank the Chinese gentleman who's IM handle I forget.... also works with Snow :-)

ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls - may I present, for your viewing pleasure and at great expense:

post-65366-1224259736_thumb.png

extensions.mkext from a JaS 10.5.4 DVD and NO Extensions folder. I'd like to thank the Chinese gentleman who's IM handle I forget.... also works with Snow :-)

cool, look it hier

it wasn't the system - it was the ISO with the no extensions and altered .mkext :-)

what we need to do now is track down exactly which kext caused the problem... if anyone can be bothered. its working now so I see no reason to ;-)

Reading Strimer's post about Parallels (just under this topic in Virtualization, Emulation, and Crossover) it appears the same problem happens in Parallels as in Fusion. Now other than the CPU, they do not really share anything else in common. With regards to the CPU, it is basically the only thing not emulated. What about removing any CPU-related kexts such as any power managements ones or SMBIOS? Since essentially the CPU is passed on directly to the VM, any kexts that we have to remove, replace or modify to get it working on our hacks might apply to the VMs as well. Why isn't this so with running Fusion on a real Mac? Who knows...but it's worth a shot. Anyone know how to create an Extensions.mkext of the Extensions folder on the DVD without the CPU-related kexts?

And yes, I did try it on that HP DX2300, same result - Galaxy wallpaper with spinning beach ball.

brbo - yes. use the extensions.mkext from the JaS DVD. you will need to replace them on the installed HDD image as well (find the drive in Finder, double click it)

my VM locked up earlier during a software update to 10.5.5, anyone else have this problem?

• 3 months later...

Are there any new developments on this? Does anyone know what kext file doesn't work on a hackintosh? The problem is the extensions.mkext is a cache file of your current kernel extensions. As a result, you really can't just copy it from the JAS install to this. Otherwise when you make changes, your JAS cache extensions.mkext will get overwritten and your system will no longer work. It certainly sounds like a good work around to getting the system booting.

• 4 months later...
brbo - yes. use the extensions.mkext from the JaS DVD. you will need to replace them on the installed HDD image as well (find the drive in Finder, double click it)

my VM locked up earlier during a software update to 10.5.5, anyone else have this problem?

You need a vodookernel.

• 2 months later...