Dell Inspiron Mini 9 ?

jns_mt

839 posts in this topic

• 4 weeks later...
The method listed at MyDellMini that I linked to works with the upgrade DVD, yes. It's an "upgrade" DVD.. It doesn't check for or confirm that you have Leopard before working. It just installs, doesn't care.

Thanks for the reply--

I'm not so knowledgeable about Hackintoshes, so correct me if I'm wrong:

I have to download NetbookInstaller to my Dell Mini and it will prompt me to insert the Snow Leopard DVD?

This method uses strictly CDs, right? (I don't have mac or usb flash drive)

By the way, my netbook has windows xp on it

• 1 month later...

Hey. I had a friend build one of these for me. Everything's working, except this: It takes roughly 10-15 minutes to boot up. When i sleep it, it either won't wake back up or it will freeze upon wake up. Sound, wifi, etc is fine... But any suggestions on how to fix that startup time? Another friend has one and his boots up in moments-- faster than a macbook. So I know that 10-15 min startup time is def not normal for a SSD.

It's running on a 32GB HD instead of a 16GB. Would running disk utility (repairs) a bunch of times help? He also gave me a DELLEFI file thing... should i just run that a few times?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Thanks. My friend (that I paid to help me, and obviously didn't get it right) just sent me this. Does it make sense? I'm not a PC guy, so it's fairly confusing to a writer in los angeles... but i'll try these steps if you think they make sense. i guess i can do this stuff with a flash drive instead of the recommended disk drive that I don't have?

"So, I was getting some stuff together to shoot to you and realized that there was an article I read. I read it again and this is perfect for you. Explains everything perfectly. More so, it supposedly allows for you to update from the Apple Updater with no problems. Here it is. Email me if you have any problems.

http://www.insanelymac.com/2009/01/install...-boot-132-hack/ "

Thanks... just followed those instructions for the last 4 hours exactly.... after mac install... it just booted up, and i could hear the "welcome video" sound, but there is no picture besides a flat grey screen. i CAN get into the bios if i need to. is there anything i can do?

Thanks in advance.

Ok. Final problem... Snow Leopard never worked....

Finally was able to install regular leopard (first version), but had to do it in safe mode... So now I can get to the leopard desktop in safe mode... But i can't run the 10.5.8 combo update, as it's on the flash drive (which it won't recognize in safe mode)... Also, can't run bootloader from the hard drive in safe mode (doesn't recognize the hard drive in safe mode)... Any suggestions?

I can't even seem to hit any key twice during boot up to get to the boot prompt. Hit space bar once and i get bootup options... then hit it again... no dice... it never goes into that terminal style mode where i can type prompts like -x -f or -v)

Any suggestions would be much appreciated, before i throw this thing out the window. 3 programmers have tried to get this to work. OsX has been installed 5x now.

Thanks.

• 7 months later...
Hey,

Real quick -- I've followed the guide on mymacnetbook.com and am currently enjoying 10.6.2.

How can I dual boot linux on this box? Specifically, I'm hoping to run Chromium which is a flavor of Ubuntu.

Thanks,

Mitch

The same answer to you as given to previous poster. You really must go and visit mydellmini.com as all possible things for the Dell Mini 9 are explained there in great detail including with video guides for dual and triple booting.

BTW I think Chromium sucks right now, but each to their own.