Dell Inspiron Mini 9 ?

jns_mt

839 posts in this topic

Wow! I am actually excited about getting a Dell.. scary thought! Well, I *may* do it, combat pay might not be enough to get me to do this. Plus, I cannot imagine what the hell I would need that for when I really want a MBP... but its cool never the less! Maybe for the wife!! :)

Argg now I just saw the EEE 1000h for $480 at newegg, and I might want to get that...

Two questions:

1. Are there any major disadvantages to the 1000h?

2. Does the Mini 9 have the same problem as the EEE 901 where part of the SSD is reallly slow and has slow mac os x boot times?

Argg now I just saw the EEE 1000h for $480 at newegg, and I might want to get that...

Two questions:

1. Are there any major disadvantages to the 1000h?

2. Does the Mini 9 have the same problem as the EEE 901 where part of the SSD is reallly slow and has slow mac os x boot times?

1.From what I have seen the 1000h is much easier to install osx onto than the 901 (which has acpi problems, requires a hacked bios) installs to a VERY slow 8gb drive which makes it unusable.

2. Mine has a 16gb stec which is 20mb write and 80mb read, the intel one i hear is not good!

1.From what I have seen the 1000h is much easier to install osx onto than the 901 (which has acpi problems, requires a hacked bios) installs to a VERY slow 8gb drive which makes it unusable.

2. Mine has a 16gb stec which is 20mb write and 80mb read, the intel one i hear is not good!

So the stec vs. intel is just luck of the draw??

So which one would you recommend - Dell top of the line for $460 or 1000h with bigger screen, 6 cell battery, and HDD for $480?

AND CAN WE DUAL BOOT!!!

AHH the 160 gb $480ish price drop just happened last week, thats why its new.

Well, the 1000h weighs 3 lbs 3 oz and the Inspiron is 2 lbs 4.5 oz. I consider that extra pound to be very significant, otherwise I wouldn't be in the market for a netbook. I'm don't really know anything about the flash other than that I would be very suprised to see any manufacturer use somthing as slow as the Asus 901's data drive as a boot volume.

BTW, my Mini 9 is arriving October 1 :)

So I got my mini 9 today and I have the iATKOS_4i 10.5.4 DVD. I get through the install just fine (selecting vanilla kernel, vanilla acpi, gma 950, and speedstep). However when I get to the bootloader screen (first boot) it lets me choose hd(0,1) and does nothing. I thought it might be because I used GUID for partition type but with MBR it is also doing the same. Help! Even if I try and do -s for single user or -v for verbose it just clears it and goes back to the prompt

thanks for any ideas

Oh I also left IAtKOS v4i Main System checked and darwin bootloader selected as well of course...

Humm I just tried the same install on another dell (desktop) I have and it installed as well but when it booted it did the same thing in the bootloader (never makes it past selection just lets you keep selecting boot partition). So wonder if I got a bad burn or a bad iso. I had burned another copy so trying that. I also will look for another iso (got current one on TPB). Of course any other ideas welcome. (or locations of alt torrent files). thanks

Wait so it cannot sleep AT ALL under mac?

From my past experiences with Hackintoshes.... I'd imagine it SLEEPS fine.. It's just more of a coma than a snooze.. It won't wake up.. I imagine it's just a matter of patching the power management or ACPI kext's in just the right way. My Atom based desktop sleeps/wakes just fine.

From my past experiences with Hackintoshes.... I'd imagine it SLEEPS fine.. It's just more of a coma than a snooze.. It won't wake up.. I imagine it's just a matter of patching the power management or ACPI kext's in just the right way. My Atom based desktop sleeps/wakes just fine.

does the modified clamshell kext fix this?

I'm not sure what that clamshell kext changes, maybe acpi instead of efi calls

I have being unable to get sleep mode working at all, i can get close if i disable wireless, lan, bluetooth and use dmset to change the power management state to 0 (suspends to ram and does not write to disk)

I think you are right it's a matter of matching up the ACPI's with the powermanagement kext's but so far I am unable to find a working solution.

does the modified clamshell kext fix this?

I'm not sure what that clamshell kext changes, maybe acpi instead of efi calls

I have tried it with and without the clamshell.kext and it produces the same results which is it locks up after waking it up from sleep.

I am sure between us all we can get this working!

Also came across this little quirk..

Bluetooth works UNTIL you add a bluetooth device (in my case a htc touch diamond) and then after a reboot bluetooth is always off and there is no option to turn it back on!

OMG! google lead me to this place, and I signed up just for this topic. Please tell me you guys have figured out the last few remaining items that don't work??

Got issues with.

1. bluetooth not working after adding a device

2. sleep mode not working

3. speedstep not working

4. restoring from time machine renders it unbootable until you boot from a usb key (boot132) and use chameleon to repair

Wow, this is awesome! My Mini 9 is arriving today or tomorrow, and I've been searching all over to see if someone had solved this yet! Thank you everyone for your work on this!

Quick noobsauce question: does it look like it will be possible to do a vanilla install from a retail DVD with Boot-132 or something similar? Wouldn't that require just assembling all the necessary replacement kexts? Or am I totally missing something (likely)?

Wow, this is awesome! My Mini 9 is arriving today or tomorrow, and I've been searching all over to see if someone had solved this yet! Thank you everyone for your work on this!

Quick noobsauce question: does it look like it will be possible to do a vanilla install from a retail DVD with Boot-132 or something similar? Wouldn't that require just assembling all the necessary replacement kexts? Or am I totally missing something (likely)?

I did try that but too be honest it was so much hard work it was not really worth it, you had to boot into single user mode after the first part of the initial install, create a password for the root account, create a empty file to say the installation process has finished as well as having to change time zones, create user accounts manually!

I did try that but too be honest it was so much hard work it was not really worth it, you had to boot into single user mode after the first part of the initial install, create a password for the root account, create a empty file to say the installation process has finished as well as having to change time zones, create user accounts manually!

that's all pretty easy, considering you now get to do updates freely without problems

that's all pretty easy, considering you now get to do updates freely without problems

Granted that is true but the other iso's are much better i think, kudos to everyone!

So the stec vs. intel is just luck of the draw??

So which one would you recommend - Dell top of the line for $460 or 1000h with bigger screen, 6 cell battery, and HDD for $480?

AND CAN WE DUAL BOOT!!!

AHH the 160 gb $480ish price drop just happened last week, thats why its new.

I think yeah its luck of the draw, maybe when more people get their's we can do a hardware comparison and see which ones work the best?

Hmm good question I guess it comes down to what you will use it for, i chose the dell over the 1000h because i felt anything bigger than 8.9" was getting too close to 'proper' laptop territory.

I have a macbook pro as well so not really into dualbooting, but if you want to do that here is a link below which may help :(

http://iatkos.wikidot.com/instructions