Dell Inspiron Mini 9 ?

jns_mt

839 posts in this topic

wow, fantastic work. I'm very impressed you've made so much headway so quickly.

How does it handle suspend mode? If you close the lid, does it go to sleep? If you open it back up, does it resume cleanly?

I'm assuming to get the card reader to work, you'll need to identify the type of card reader, and manually install/load the drivers for it. Assuming there are already drivers.

Does anyone know if the same card reader is being used in any of the other netbooks?

wow, fantastic work. I'm very impressed you've made so much headway so quickly.

How does it handle suspend mode? If you close the lid, does it go to sleep? If you open it back up, does it resume cleanly?

I'm assuming to get the card reader to work, you'll need to identify the type of card reader, and manually install/load the drivers for it. Assuming there are already drivers.

Does anyone know if the same card reader is being used in any of the other netbooks?

Suspend mode does not work when you open the lid you lose the mouse and keyboard which I am working to get fixed

Sleep mode does pretty much the same!

Not sure about the card reader, its not a huge problem as usb works..

One thing I did notice that when plugged into my tv over vga the graphics card went all weird!

Hey,

Do you have to buy the external dvd burner or can you install it off a USB flash drive/External Hard drive?

Oh...and is there anyway to use the MBA's remote disc option?

I simply used my proper mac under disk utility to restore the iatkos iso to my external usb drive and booted from that :stretcher:

Good idea I will give this a go tonight and will let you know, I am tempted to buy the external mac one too!

Is tap to click or two finger scroll working?

Tap to click is working but two finger scroll is not afaik this is a hardware limitation of the dell mini unless anyone else knows otherwise?

And a quick update for everyone here too. I managed to get my original 10.5.1 dvd working on it too so it's pretty much stock apart from some replaced 10.5.4 kext files for the display etc.

When I get to work I will post some instructions on how I did it :)

Even though I own a Mac Book Pro this is kinda neat doing this hacking stuff and now my 17" laptop seems huge!!

Looks like I will be getting one of these now ... just gotta wait for the upcoming 3G card and I am gonna buy it.

After I get it I am going to try to find a 32GB SSD so that I can have an original XP drive and an OS X drive ... then look to upgrade the wireless card to a BCM4321 to give me wireless-N ... and I think that will be perfect!

Well done to PeteRock, GREAT WORK!!!!!!

hey everyone

sorry for the delay i have being doing lots of playing around to try and get everything working, but right now its pretty close so wanted to share my findings!

iatkos is the best working release by far, i have reinstalled osx many times to work out the best combination of kexts etc, so here it is!.

Version 2 of guide!

** Rough and Ready Install Guide for iATKOS v4i on Dell Inspiron Mini **

** This guide should also work with other 10.5.4 DVD's although I have not tested this yet **

** From the options when installing first time**

1. Install vanilla kernel with vanilla acpi

2. Leave everything else unticked

** It takes on average 15-30 minutes to install from DVD **

** First Boot **

1. Run bcm43xx_enabler.sh from the shell for example sudo /tmp/bcm43xx_enabler.sh and follow prompts and reboot

2. Run all packages in the packages folder

3. Run Kext Helper and install all kexts from the Kexts folder and reboot

4. Run ALC268_Installer1 and reboot

5. Repair Permissions with Disk Utility upon reboot.

Once you have done this hopefully you'll have the following working.

1. Wireless

2. Bluetooth

3. Sound

4. Graphics

5. time machine works with one small problem (noted below)

** Problems noted **

1. Apple Time Capsule restores but does not boot, need to boot from usb and run chameleon installer to repair

2. JMicron Multi Card Reader does not work

3. Power Management not working

4. Wrong Keyboard mappings (@ is " and vice versa)

5. speedstep not working

** The End **

Attachments below :)

And now the fun bit.... benchmarks and other stuff!!

1. Boots up in around 25 seconds

2. GeekBench scored between 907 - 917

3. 600mb or more free ram after bootup

Here's a question for you, how much space is left over on the disk after an OS X Install?

Around 8-9gb of free space so not too bad

Kexts.zip

Packages.zip

Scripts.zip

** Problems noted **

1. Apple Time Capsule restores but does not boot, need to boot from usb and run chameleon installer to repair

2. JMicron Multi Card Reader does not work

3. Power Management not working

4. Wrong Keyboard mappings (@ is " and vice versa)

5. speedstep not working

First of all: Thanks for sharing your insights!

How about external VGA?

You wrote it was pretty quirky the first time you tried. Any changes?

hey ok .. so im a total n00b ...

is there any prep needed before starting the install?

or can i just pop in the DVD .. and it will boot?

as for these step...

(i get this one)

1. Run bcm43xx_enabler.sh from the shell for example sudo /tmp/bcm43xx_enabler.sh and follow prompts and reboot

as for these 3.. do i just dbl click?

what is the battery life like?

WOOO thanks!

hey ok .. so im a total n00b ...

is there any prep needed before starting the install?

nope just put the dvd in and fingers crossed your good to go!

or can i just pop in the DVD .. and it will boot?

yup :shock:

as for these step...

(i get this one)

as for these 3.. do i just dbl click?

double click each one and run through the installer steps

highlight all the kexts and choose install (on osx86tools for example) and reboot when prompted

what is the battery life like?

i hit 3 hours everytime cannot seem to get above that right now tho!

maybe if i get speedstep working it will improve matters oh and sleep too!

WOOO thanks!

The Atom cpu doesn't support speedstep, so it's not going to work... Have you tried the integrated nic? Does it need a special driver or is it supported out of the box?

The Atom cpu doesn't support speedstep, so it's not going to work... Have you tried the integrated nic? Does it need a special driver or is it supported out of the box?

meh ... 3 hours is sufficient for me ...

the only thing im really concerned about is the "sleep" function...

not that its a huge issue ... but would be nice ..

whats the chances of getting that worked out!!!! ...

ahhh cant wait for me mini dell .. imm a throw a apple sticker over the dell logo hehe ..

That is strange as i did try the 9.2.0 kernel with speedstep and in the top finder bar it displayed the speed of the cpu varying between 800, 1033, 1333 and 1600.

http://ark.intel.com/cpu.aspx?groupID=36331 says its supported??

Also the nic you can use the official realtek 10.4/10.5 drivers which I included in the packages folder attached to the guide :)