SSE2 & 3 Retail Leo and Vanilla installs - Boot 132 on pre-Core !

munky

614 posts in this topic

I have read this long thread in its entirety and I have downloaded every iso in it and none of them work for me in vmware. I am trying to install a retail dvd iso into vmware workstation 6.5.1. Is this possible? I was shocked that I didn't come across any mention of vmware in this thread. I have a slow but working version of tiger in a virtual machine which I got my disk1s3 info and uuid from. I have yet to get to the installer without a kernel panic. I'm completely new to mac so I don't even know what a kext is yet nor do I know how to build my own boot iso so any help and links would be appreciated. I'm a linux user but not a programmer so I'm very teachable if someone is willing to take me under their wing. My processor is a 3.2 ghz pentium D so I know I can't boot the vanilla kernel and am so very anxious to see what the installer actually looks like. I have tinkered with 6 or 7 other patched install isos or dmg but haven't gotten any to completely install. What I really want is to boot from a standard retail dvd or iso like this thread specializes in. My birthday is on the 12th of December and THIS is what I want for or before my birthday. Thank you in advance to anyone willing to help me.

This first boot seems to be my new problem. Now that the install goes through and finishes, the first boot is showing nothing but a black screen.

Haven't found a fix yet. Has anyone else?

For folks who cannot use the vanilla kernel: there's a real easy way to find the correct "rd=diskXsY" setting, without guesswork:

Boot *with* the vanilla kernel, with just "-v" on the kernel command line. (ie, not with "rd(0,1)/StageXNU......")

Yes, the OS will fail to boot properly, but just before it reboots automatically, take a look at the last few lines of the console. I see this:

BSD root: disk1s3, major 14, minor10

So that's what you'll need when you reboot and specify the non-vanilla kernel:

rd(0,1)/StageXNU -v -f rd=disk1s3

All I need to do now is correct my "Intel Centrino Blue Screen" problem, cos the 1-wire and 2-wire tricks don't work :)

M

Well, I finally managed to install 10.5.4, but now i cannot boot it.

I boot MadTux's ISO (the one i used to install), choose 80 (my first HDD, on which i installed), then enter rd(0,1)/voodoo -f -v rd=disk0s2

It starts to boot, but stops and gives me "still waiting for root device" error. I tried booting with rd=disk0s1 and without the switches, and a screen appears telling me that i have to restart my machine.

Any ideas what i'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Well, I finally managed to install 10.5.4, but now i cannot boot it.

I boot MadTux's ISO (the one i used to install), choose 80 (my first HDD, on which i installed), then enter rd(0,1)/voodoo -f -v rd=disk0s2

It starts to boot, but stops and gives me "still waiting for root device" error. I tried booting with rd=disk0s1 and without the switches, and a screen appears telling me that i have to restart my machine.

Any ideas what i'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,

The "still waiting .." message is sometimes because you need a patched/older version of IOATAFamily.kext. If that is the probelm, you could correct it by replacing the copy in the /S/L/Extensions folder, or adding it to your pre-boot cd.

The easiest thing to try first is to get the uuid of the partition you are attempting to boot. Then, boot with "rd(0,1)/voodoo -v boot-uuid=your-uuid-value" Using the partition uuid is always safer than the rd=diskXsY parameter.

OK, i succssed with installing native Leopard on my laptop with SSE2 cpu (installed from external USB HD).

Now i don't know how to boot system up.

Well, system boots up if I remove original kexts from S/L/E folder and Extensions.mkext with one mkext from hackintosh install disk.

If i put all hackintosh kexts to Extra/Extensions folder and leave original kexts in S/L/E folder I can see that some hackkexts replaced with newer original kexts and nothing happens.

Then i decided to remove original kexts and put hackkexts to S/L/E but still no luck.

Now I have only one mkext file with wich one it is possible to boot

i was able to succcessfully get to the installer screen. I had to do this GUID partition thingy in order to install. Unfortunately, I finished the installation, but it failed. It said something about not being able to start up the volume. I'm going to try again, but I don't know why that occured. If anyone can explain that to me, then I would be grateful. I will edit my post saying whether my second installation failed or not. Thanks :-)

i was able to succcessfully get to the installer screen. I had to do this GUID partition thingy in order to install. Unfortunately, I finished the installation, but it failed. It said something about not being able to start up the volume. I'm going to try again, but I don't know why that occured. If anyone can explain that to me, then I would be grateful. I will edit my post saying whether my second installation failed or not. Thanks :-)

I see also this error just reboot and boot your installation and all should work.

I don't know what you mean Boot what instalation. I tried reinstalling but got the same error. Now when i turn on my Dell, it says "Diskette drive 0 seek failure". What do I do to fix it? I am really confused. Thanks :-)

i see what's going on. I made the diskette error go away, now I just get stuck on a blinking understcore screen. When i try the bootloader, I get nothing but a blank apple screen and once i do -v, I get an interminable blank screen. I don't get why this happens and if smoenoe can explain for me why this happens, i will be very gratefull. Thanks :-)

I don't know what you mean Boot what instalation. I tried reinstalling but got the same error. Now when i turn on my Dell, it says "Diskette drive 0 seek failure". What do I do to fix it? I am really confused. Thanks :-)

i see what's going on. I made the diskette error go away, now I just get stuck on a blinking understcore screen. When i try the bootloader, I get nothing but a blank apple screen and once i do -v, I get an interminable blank screen. I don't get why this happens and if smoenoe can explain for me why this happens, i will be very gratefull. Thanks :-)

You used a boot-132 cd to boot the install dvd - correct? The error you saw at the end of the install process is normal. It happens because the install process could not set the startup drive for reboot. That too is normal on many non-Apple systems.

When you reboot the system you will need to use the boot-132 cd just as you did when you started the install process. You need to do that until you install Chameleon or some other boot loader that will provide the alternative kernel and override kext that you need to make your system run. You know, like the decrypter and disabler kext.

After trying to install this OS for about 2 weeks now I finally got it working. I tried posting questions in new threads without almost no help from the community which was very dissapointing. I basically had to struggle along on my own till i could figure things out and get them working.

I tried several different distro's of OSX install discs (kalyway 10.5.2, ideneb 10.5.5, a retail disk). In the end I could only get one working (at least right now). I could only get ideneb 10.5.5 to boot up using a kernel from the cd called "mach_kernel". So i have no clue what patched version of the kernel is being booted up, all I know is it is renamed as mach_kernel.

I tried tons of kernels/kext's combinations and couldnt for the life of me get any of them right. Finally I just installed a almost vanilla install, all i added was a stageXNU kernel, but since i am specifiying a different kernel at boot time, i guess its irrelevent which kernel i installed.

The whole things really was getting the trick to using the boot command line, I was having trouble identifiying which was my diskXsY. After checking disk utility and having it report back incorrect info i was somewhat confused. I thought about it logically.

1. I have a disk that boots to the installer, and installs the OS.

2. That means that I have a working kernel, which is passed at boot up time to load installer.

3. I thought about my diskXsY like this, X=ide pathway (primary=1, secondary=2) Y= master/slave (master=1, slave=2)

4 . At boot time when i was using the boot cd it was calling the boot cd hd(2,1)ideneb 10.5.5 blah blah blah.......which was confusing me

5. What i ended up doing was booting up ideneb 10.5.5 disk passing only verbose mode as a argument.

boot: -v

6. Installer starts, go to disk utility and partition disk as GUID. Then I installed the OS with only the stageXNU kernel checked off in the customize options.

7. Installer finishes up and gives me the green checkmark to go ahead.

8. After restart the OS won't boot. I didn't have any clue why, it seemed to install fine. After trying countless combinations of kexts/kernels and having absolutely no success at all. I tried like 4 distro's of boot cds (BOOT-KABYL-BUMBY, SSE2_3, boot_dfe_modbin, boot_patched, RetailIntel), and none of them would work.

9. After coming to the realization that I have a WORKING kernel which was used to boot ideneb. I then had to get it to load at boot up.

10. Finally, booted OS. I put in the ideneb dvd

press F8

hd(2,1)/mach_kernel -legacy -v -f rd=disk1s2

after I used those arguments it booted up like a charm.

hd(2,1)/mach_kernel refers to the kernel thats is on the ideneb disk

i forget excatly what -legacy refers to

-v = verbose mode

-f= not sure

disk1s2 = disk 1 means primary ide, 2 mean slave

I hope this helps, as I had fun but frustrating experience. Good luck to all.

osx86leopard.jpg

So did you change the kernel after that first boot? OSx86 tools lets you do it, doesn't it? I'm just wondering if it works.

I didn't think of using the iDeneb kernel to boot when I had those same problems with the installation and got frustrated and installed iDeneb (which worked full yout of the box).

btw, -f means the systems loads new kexts, or clears the kext cache. Something to do with kexts anyways.

Hi everybody! I need some good soul with a working OSX86 to make a boot-132 iso for me... I'm using winXP right now but my pc won't boot any custom-made CD...

The problem is that the iso's that I download from this site boot, but then i get a read error after i switch to the retail DVD. From the reading I've made I came to the conclusion that I need a custom kernel (voodoo 9.5) to load with the boot-132 CD. I have a core i7 system, and that is one of the few kernels reported working.

Now, if I mount the initrd.img with TransMac under windows I am able to copy the kernel in it, but the CD won't boot anymore. I think it's because there is some commend you have to run under Mac to rebuild the initrd??

I can provide all the files I need in the iso, but I need somebody to build it for me...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Hi Guys,

I've given Munky's and MadTux's ISO's from this thread a try, so modbin and voodoo kernels, and I keep getting the same error:

DSCF3728.jpg

I am loading in the CD-RW, waiting for it to load, swapping with my 10.5.4 Retail DVD-DL, hitting enter at the first prompt, using 82 for my DVD-ROM, Hitting F8 at the second prompt then typing in:

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.modbin -legacy -v rd=disk0s1

for Munky's.

OR

rd(0,1)/voodoo -v rd=disk0s1

For MadTux's

BSD root: disk0s1 so thats what I'm using.

Any Idea's? The chipset in this Dell Latitude X1 is pretty much the same as an EeePC, I have no problems with Kalyway 10.5.2.

Thanks,

-Michael

rd=disk0s1 is wrong. What it does here, is that it finds a device, but it can't find the right partition on it. It tries then a network boot and it goes in panic.

If it's an original Retail DVD the files are on the third partition. Moreover, your system will probably put your dvd drive after your HDD's. If you use the number 82 it's probably the third drive.

Try with rd=disk2s3... I had the same problem and remaind stuck on that point for two days before understanding what to do!

I understand your frustration. The choice of MBR vs GUIID partitioning is made prior to any partitions being created. It is not relative to a given partition on the drive. With MBR (old DOS / WInxx ) partitioning you are limited to 4 primary partitions or 3 primary and one Extended. With the GUID scheme, you can create a much larger number of partitions. About 125 I think.

There is a test in the retail install DVD that checks for the GUID partition scheme. Since the dvd is read-only the only way to bypass that test is to make a cloned copy and remove the test during the process.

The need for GUID partitioning has been discussed several times in other threads. I guess it is just understood that it will be used or the dvd will be modified. However, I don't think it defeats the purpose of this or other related threads.

You need to think about why one would wish to install from the retail dvd. It eliminates the need for people to download customized distributions and that is a plus. Once you can boot the retail dvd using the boot-132 methodology you can implement one of several options that transfer that same concept to booting the installed system. Most of those methods retain the unmodified condition of the installed system. If that is done, the next software update has much less chance of crashing your system and that is a big plus.

Hello again BladeRunner,

Things are moving here at last. I installed a new 500GB SATA drive in my pre-core Pentium 4 machine (an HP dx2300) alongside the existing 80GB SATA drive which contains XP etc. I have successfully installed Leopard 10.5 retail on the new drive, and my boot process consists of booting munky's original modbin cd (boot-dfe-146-bum), entering 81 at the boot prompt, then

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.modbin rd=disk1s2

In the Apple Extensions folder in initrd.img, there are 5 kext files, including ApplePS2Controller, which I assume is to allow use of a PS2 keyboard, but during setup I had to swap to a USB KB in order to proceed. Can I somehow use this kext to let me revert to a PS2 KB?

I now intend to follow munky's guide on booting from an EFI Partition, which if I understand the thrust of the thread will enable "full-automatic" booting from info loaded onto the EFI partition from munky's new cd files.

However, before heading down this path, I'd like to get internet connectivity via OSX. During setup, and later using Network Diagnostics, my Ethernet LAN was not detected. Is this a typical problem? The Ethernet card is just an Intel on-board PRO/100 VE running at 100 Mbps, which works ok under XP. Can you advise?

Thanks

Rob

Hello again BladeRunner,

Things are moving here at last. I installed a new 500GB SATA drive in my pre-core Pentium 4 machine (an HP dx2300) alongside the existing 80GB SATA drive which contains XP etc. I have successfully installed Leopard 10.5 retail on the new drive, and my boot process consists of booting munky's original modbin cd (boot-dfe-146-bum), entering 81 at the boot prompt, then

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.modbin rd=disk1s2

In the Apple Extensions folder in initrd.img, there are 5 kext files, including ApplePS2Controller, which I assume is to allow use of a PS2 keyboard, but during setup I had to swap to a USB KB in order to proceed. Can I somehow use this kext to let me revert to a PS2 KB?

I now intend to follow munky's guide on booting from an EFI Partition, which if I understand the thrust of the thread will enable "full-automatic" booting from info loaded onto the EFI partition from munky's new cd files.

However, before heading down this path, I'd like to get internet connectivity via OSX. During setup, and later using Network Diagnostics, my Ethernet LAN was not detected. Is this a typical problem? The Ethernet card is just an Intel on-board PRO/100 VE running at 100 Mbps, which works ok under XP. Can you advise?

Thanks

Rob

Congrats on the progress :rolleyes:

For your existing questions, look in these sub-fora :

You will need " AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext" in addition to the PS2Controller for the PS/2 type keyboard & mouse to work.

Ok... Im new really.

I have a P4 SSE3 processor 3GHz and an IBM ThinkCentre. Do I have a chance of installing Leo? I have Mac OS 10.4.8 and am considering upgrading, except that I dont understand all the talk here. Im not a complete noob but I need detailed instructions because otherwise I cant follow. Im borrowing a Retail Disk soon, thats not a problem. Can anybody explain to me what exactly to do to have a computer that can do SysUpdates? Also, if its the CD way, tell me the exact hiearchy of files in the CD, or if its Chameleon then same thing.

Specs that I can figure out:

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.99 GHz GenuineIntel Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9

HardDrive: ATA disk0s1 6DD86771-13C1-3B50-8D9E-B7FD4DC30C4A (nearly full: im getting another one, cuz this one has 7.2GB free out of 34.8)

Mouse/Keyboard: PS/2

RAM: 512MB

VRAM: No video card: 64MB of shared system memory

GeekBench tells me my system is mostly under average.

Is an updating system possible without too much trouble here?