SSE2 & 3 Retail Leo and Vanilla installs - Boot 132 on pre-Core !

munky

614 posts in this topic

Thanks to All! Need help...

I have been trying to boot my slimbuild cd- I can't get by the Enter two-digit hexadecmal boot device. No matter what I enter there it doesn't recognize the retail DVD. I've tried a bunch of different isos and finally tried my own with kexts, 9.4 stageXNU kernel, a apple.boot.plist from my existing iDeneb installation.

My system is in the sig. p4 2.8 sse2

I modified the plist to reference the uuid and everything- just can't get past this boot device problem. I'm so close- help!

-TB

due to several modified booting cd´s or usb stick images the comments on the top of the screen are different,

but at the end regardless of booting options (-legacy) or (-v) or (-f) or (-x), the booting process will stop at the line:

MAC Framework successfully initialized

using 2621 buffer headers and 2621 cluster IO buffer headers

I've spent all afternoon trying to install Retail OSX with Voodoo beta2 kernel on a Dell Latitude D800 laptop (Pentium M 1,7ghz). Everytime I get the same error as knobsi. It's very frustrating. Anyone got an idea what might cause the problem?

Thx!

harbri

Thanks to All! Need help...

I have been trying to boot my slimbuild cd- I can't get by the Enter two-digit hexadecmal boot device. No matter what I enter there it doesn't recognize the retail DVD. I've tried a bunch of different isos and finally tried my own with kexts, 9.4 stageXNU kernel, a apple.boot.plist from my existing iDeneb installation.

My system is in the sig. p4 2.8 sse2

I modified the plist to reference the uuid and everything- just can't get past this boot device problem. I'm so close- help!

-TB

What is your actual typing sequence? I mean exactly what you type in what order starting with the first time you press F8 at the slimbuild boot.

First of all I'd like to thank munky, bladerunner, and 3D mn for all of the support they have provided for everyone. I've been a user of the compiled DVD's for a while now and was looking to take the next steps to a more stable system when I found this post. I have read most of the links off this post and managed to make it though all the pages today so that I would not ask stupid questions. Thanks to everyones input I am now able to boot into the installer correctly, and have managed to create my own boot-123 iso. I wish this was a posting to all the success I'm having, but alas I have questions and problems as well.

When I get into the installer, I'm hit with the error message "Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer." I think this is because when I open disk util I'm not presented with any hard drives, only the DVD. So basically, I can't install because there is no where to install to.

I don't see any major errors, and I'm not sure where to look next. I can only think that the kernel's I have included need the correct system.kext, or I need a kext for the SATA controller I have. Here are my specs, any and all help is greatly appreciated.

DVD: 10.5.2

MotherBoard: ASUS P5S800-VM

Chipset: SIS661FX

CPU: P4 630 Prescott Socket 775 Instructions (MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, EM64T)

Video: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500

Network: Realtek 8139/810x Family

Sound: Realtek AC'97 Audio

Kernels on Disk: modbin, Sleep, stageXNU, voodoo (all 9.4 I believe)

contents of Extra/Extensions/

AppleAC97Audio.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

AppleAHCIPort.kext

AppleAPIC.kext

AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

AppleGenericPCATA.kext

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

AppleNForceATA.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

AppleSMBIOS.kext

AppleVIAATA.kext

Disabler.kext

dsmos.kext

IntelPIIXATA.kext

EDIT: I have tried the same process on a toshiba laptop I have. It sees the hard drive, but I get the same error.

What is your actual typing sequence? I mean exactly what you type in what order starting with the first time you press F8 at the slimbuild boot.

I must have tried all typing sequences under the sun- it seems to get stuck at the DVD 2 digit hex line and keeps going back to it after anything at the boot prompt. Does it have to do with my DVD device being IDE?

Could you offer any advice/point me in the direction of a known working SSE2 only Boot-132 iso with modified kernel? Then I can test that and find out if it's my bios settings or DVD device messing everything up.

Thanks in advance ;)

I'm going to try Bladerunner's and MadTux's iso, and will try and report back after using these keystrokes (although I tried this exact sequence yesterday):

When I use a pre-boot cd like this my sequence looks something like this:

at first pre-boot prompt press "F8" -> see hex ID prompt for 80,81,.. [f9]

eject cd -> insert dvd -> press enter -> at first display from install dvd press "F8"

at install dvd boot prompt enter

rd(0,1)/voodoo -v boot-uuid=your-specific-installDVD-uuid

I'm going to try Bladerunner's and MadTux's iso, and will try and report back after using these keystrokes (although I tried this exact sequence yesterday):

When I use a pre-boot cd like this my sequence looks something like this:

at first pre-boot prompt press "F8" -> see hex ID prompt for 80,81,.. [f9]

eject cd -> insert dvd -> press enter -> at first display from install dvd press "F8"

at install dvd boot prompt enter

rd(0,1)/voodoo -v boot-uuid=your-specific-installDVD-uuid

I think you need to add the -legacy option in your command. your DVD rom should be f9, all the machines I have tried have presented the DVD as the default, and I have booted into the installer. I'm still having issues with the installer telling me I cannot install on my system, but that is some other issue. Also, how are you getting your boot-uuid? I had to mount the DVD on my actual Macbook to get the uuid?

I think you need to add the -legacy option in your command. your DVD rom should be f9, all the machines I have tried have presented the DVD as the default, and I have booted into the installer. I'm still having issues with the installer telling me I cannot install on my system, but that is some other issue. Also, how are you getting your boot-uuid? I had to mount the DVD on my actual Macbook to get the uuid?

Yeah- well I'm not even getting to the point where I can enter a command to the DVD drive- the DVD doesn't show up after I swap the discs. I just tried flashing my bios, and swapping DVD devices- still can't do this thing- I'm ready to throw in the towel, as I have a pretty decent install going already with iDeneb.

:D

I’ve been a long time reader on this forum (actually since day one). Finally I decided to make a retail install on my setup; see below for specs. I’ve created my Boot DFE 132 cd with the kexts needed for my setup and about the only thing I can’t get to work is my onboard audio (audio works with any other modified LEO Disk). For video I’m using an Nvidia FX 5200 card (Titan kext), for sound I’m using my SounBlaster Live with the Kext provided in the Driver/Sound section of this forum, the only drawback is that I have to install this driver on my retail setup, again it will not load from my boot 132 disk (same issue with the AC 97 sound).

My retail Leo Disk is version 10.5.4 and updated through software update to 10.5.5 with no glitches whatsoever. Using Voodoo Kernel B2.

For my sound issue I’ve tried every guide I can find and still no go with boot 132, if somebody can lend a hand here I will appreciated a lot.

Dual booting Leo/Vista (separate HD’s), using munky EFI partition to load all my kexts and dual boot.

As soon as I figure out how to upload my Boot 132 disk I will post the link here.

CPU:

Supports Intel Pentium 4 Socket 478 processors with 800/533 MHz FSB (with Hyper Threading support)

Chipset:Intel 865GL / ICH5

• Supports Ultra DMA 33/66/100 and Serial ATA 150

• Accelerated Graphics Port connector supports AGP 8X Interface

Memory:

• Four 184-pin DIMM sockets

• Supports 3200/2700/2100 (Max. 4GB)

Serial ATA:

• Integrated Serial ATA; two channels, no RAID support

Audio:

• Six channel audio (SoundMax Digital AC 97)

USB 2.0:

• 8 USB 2.0 ports

LAN:

• Intel Pro/100 VE

Internal I/O Connectors:

• 1 AGP 8X slot, 6 PCI slots

• Floppy Port supports up to 2.88MB

• 2 x Ultra DMA 33/66/100 Connectors

• 2 x Serial ATA 1.5G bps Connectors

• CD/AUX/Modem audio input

Back Panel I/O:

• 1 x PS/2 Keyboard, 1 x PS/2 mouse

• 4 x USB connectors

• 1 x 15-pin VGA connector

• Audio I/O

• 1 x RJ-45 LAN Connector

• 1 x parallel port, 1 x serial port

Miscellaneous:

• ATX form factor (12" x 8.5")

• Hardware monitoring - Including Fan speeds, Voltages, CPU and System environment temperature

• Three fan headers

Thanks for all the wonderfull guides available in this forum.

PAPUS96

Well, I would think 30 minutes is way long enough. I doubt I would have waited that long - unless supper was ready ;)

I am going to send you a PM with a link to a zip file with the setup I have used to build the iso I now use. It will give you the ability to experiment with the kext needed for your system.

I am uploading the file now.

Thanks again for the files. I'm still fighting with that Compaq to get the boot 132 method to work. :D

For another PC the method should work though. It has this motherboard and some 3,0 GHz intel Pentium for the processor.

For anyone who has some idea how to get the retail install to work with this motherboard, please contact me via personal message :P

Ok, I tried to install with a Slimbuild_Preboot cd. Booted from the cd, chose Pre core, Munky style and pressed enter. Got the darwin promt, I hit F8, then esc and inserted the retail DVD. I chose the ef option (retail DVD), then at darwin promt hit F8 again. I typed in rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo ect. then enter.

It started to load files from the install dvd, that's as far as I have ever gotten :unsure: But when it loaded for a while it got stuck at "still waiting for root device".

D'oh!

Hi Munky,

I'm a very new member here, and am very grateful to you for all the work done to get Leopard running on non-Mac machines. I have an HP dx2300 computer with a (pre-Core) Intel Pentium 4 processor running at 2.4 GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, and all the usual stuff for running Windows XP. I bought a retail copy of Mac OS X Leopard about 12 months ago in Hawaii when on holiday, and struggled for a few weeks to get Leopard working on my machine, using posts from other threads on InsanelyMac. No success! So I put it into the "too-hard" basket until the other day when I found your thread. I downloaded the boot-dfe-modbin file, burned an iso image to CD, and followed your directions. I used a friend's Mac to get the uuid of the Leopard DVD, and entered the code described in your Post #9. Everything worked correctly, and the Leopard Installation screen was displayed after about 60 seconds of disk and machine activity. At this point I stopped, with a few unresolved questions on where I was headed. Firstly, I want to install Leopard on to the HP dx2300 alongside Windows XP, with the option to dual-boot. I confess to having only skimmed thru the 25 pages of your thread, but I haven't seen any reference to dual booting. Can you steer me to somewhere that explains how to set-up an XP and OSX dual boot? I have created a spare 20 GB partition on one of the HDD's in the dx2300, with the intention of assigning OSX to it, but I'm not willing to proceed with the OSX installation until I can be sure that the Windows XP OS will not be overwritten or formatted out of existence in the OSX installation process. Any advice would be much appreciated - thanks.

It seems that Munky may not be about. Anyone else able to help? I've got quite a bit further with the dual booting, but when I try to install OSX on the designated partition, I get the message:

You cannot install Mac OSX on this volume. To enable installation ...............repartition the disk as 'GUID Partition Table'..........when

Any clues? Anybody?

Rob

It seems that Munky may not be about. Anyone else able to help? I've got quite a bit further with the dual booting, but when I try to install OSX on the designated partition, I get the message:

You cannot install Mac OSX on this volume. To enable installation ...............repartition the disk as 'GUID Partition Table'..........when

Any clues? Anybody?

Rob

Well, the message told you what the problem was. Your installation target is not partitioned as GUID and GUID is required by the retail install DVD. You have two choices. Either repartition the drive as GUID. Or, modify and burn a new install dvd.

If you can't do the first because of needing MBR partitioning for WinXP, There are guides in the forum on how to modify the dvd and cut it down so it will fit on a single layer dvd.

Ok, I tried to install with a Slimbuild_Preboot cd. Booted from the cd, chose Pre core, Munky style and pressed enter. Got the darwin promt, I hit F8, then esc and inserted the retail DVD. I chose the ef option (retail DVD), then at darwin promt hit F8 again. I typed in rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo ect. then enter.

It started to load files from the install dvd, that's as far as I have ever gotten :o But when it loaded for a while it got stuck at "still waiting for root device".

D'oh!

Ok, I did some reading and got the idea that I need to specify the uuid of the initrd.img. Did I get it right? Could that be the problem? If so, then I feel like a total dumbass :P

So the root device the installer is waiting for is the "ramdisk"? I'll try booting again with the uuid of the ramdisk the next time. I hope that it will work :P

Well, the message told you what the problem was. Your installation target is not partitioned as GUID and GUID is required by the retail install DVD. You have two choices. Either repartition the drive as GUID. Or, modify and burn a new install dvd.

If you can't do the first because of needing MBR partitioning for WinXP, There are guides in the forum on how to modify the dvd and cut it down so it will fit on a single layer dvd.

Thanks BladeRunner,

I don't think I can do the first for the reason you gave. Frustratingly though, other guides in the forum suggested that partitioning as "AF" via Windows diskpart would allow the retail disk to be installed on it - obviously not true.

I'll look for the guide on modifying the dvd.

Again, tks for help

Hi Bladerunner,

Had further thoughts after my last post to you. Isn't the whole point of this forum to allow installation directly from an unmodified retail dvd? That being so, I can't recall reading anywhere in this forum that actually mentions teh need for GUID partitioning. Again that rather defeats the purpose of installing using just the retail dvd and the modbin kernel. I then wondered if the installation dvd partitions spare/unallocated space on the drive as GUID in the actual install process, but i tried that without success. Or is it just assumed by Munky and others that the installation will only work on a clean drive separate from the one containing WinXP. Am I missing the point somewhere?

Ok, I did some reading and got the idea that I need to specify the uuid of the initrd.img. Did I get it right? Could that be the problem? If so, then I feel like a total dumbass :)

So the root device the installer is waiting for is the "ramdisk"? I'll try booting again with the uuid of the ramdisk the next time. I hope that it will work :D

Tried that, didn't work, but for some reason the next attempt with Munky's instructions did :o That hadn't worked before today.

Anyway, thanks to Munky and others :wink2:

Edit: Installation went ok, except for the couldn't set as boot disk error, which I heard should be ignored. The reboot on the other hand isn't going so well. I only get a black screen. Maybe I should try it in safe mode or something and install the drivers for the graphics card.

Thanks BladeRunner,

I don't think I can do the first for the reason you gave. Frustratingly though, other guides in the forum suggested that partitioning as "AF" via Windows diskpart would allow the retail disk to be installed on it - obviously not true.

I'll look for the guide on modifying the dvd.

Again, tks for help

Hi Bladerunner,

Had further thoughts after my last post to you. Isn't the whole point of this forum to allow installation directly from an unmodified retail dvd? That being so, I can't recall reading anywhere in this forum that actually mentions teh need for GUID partitioning. Again that rather defeats the purpose of installing using just the retail dvd and the modbin kernel. I then wondered if the installation dvd partitions spare/unallocated space on the drive as GUID in the actual install process, but i tried that without success. Or is it just assumed by Munky and others that the installation will only work on a clean drive separate from the one containing WinXP. Am I missing the point somewhere?

I understand your frustration. The choice of MBR vs GUIID partitioning is made prior to any partitions being created. It is not relative to a given partition on the drive. With MBR (old DOS / WInxx ) partitioning you are limited to 4 primary partitions or 3 primary and one Extended. With the GUID scheme, you can create a much larger number of partitions. About 125 I think.

There is a test in the retail install DVD that checks for the GUID partition scheme. Since the dvd is read-only the only way to bypass that test is to make a cloned copy and remove the test during the process.

The need for GUID partitioning has been discussed several times in other threads. I guess it is just understood that it will be used or the dvd will be modified. However, I don't think it defeats the purpose of this or other related threads.

You need to think about why one would wish to install from the retail dvd. It eliminates the need for people to download customized distributions and that is a plus. Once you can boot the retail dvd using the boot-132 methodology you can implement one of several options that transfer that same concept to booting the installed system. Most of those methods retain the unmodified condition of the installed system. If that is done, the next software update has much less chance of crashing your system and that is a big plus.

This first boot seems to be my new problem. Now that the install goes through and finishes, the first boot is showing nothing but a black screen.

The GFX card I'm using is GeForce 7300 GS, which is kinda like the 7300 GT my other hackintosh has in it. The GT worked out of the box, but this one doesn't.

Do I need to include some drivers for it in the boot CD ? Is anyone else having this problem?

Hello, folks!

I have a Pentium D (Prescott) and a Foxconn 945P7AD-8EKRS2HV motherboard. I tried installing with MadTux's ISO, but I got the "still waiting for root device" error. I also tried the other ISOs posted here, but I get the same error. I tried the diskXsY approach as I don't know how to get the UUID. I have a working Kalyway 10.5.2 install, although I don't know if this helps or not. Could anyone please help?

Thanks a lot!

Tested on pentium D and Gigabyte 945PLGE motherboard, it works perfect, my PC never worked like this! only HDA is patched.

So I made a iso image for others to have:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=aa6dbe6...2db6fb9a8902bda

I pute inside:

- AppleACPIPS2Nub and PS2Controler, for PS2 keyboard, mouse and trackpad support

- IOATA and VIATA with PXII kexts for fixing "waiting for boot... and all that jazz"

- AppleDecrypt with fixed verbose mode so your install will be legal (ha ha)

- AppleSMBIOSEFI for proper Systemprofiler (only AppleSMBIOSEFI works after 10.5.5 update, superhai SMBIOS broke my SisteProfiler)

- Latest 9.4 voodoo xnu kernel so it won't panic because of EFI kext

Kernel is named voodoo not mach_kernel

so you boot with:

rd(0,1)/voodoo rd=diskXsY or with uuid

I must say that this was a one of best installations of osx of all versions I ever instaled. Booting retail image on this PC was never even a dream in my mind. And now is real.

after instalation I instaled chameleon for hd and puted HDAEneabler in Extra/Extensions folder for my modified AppleHDA.kext coz my sound card was azal and now is shown as HDEF)

For graphic I used EFI studio for graphic card and network. I updated to 10.5.5 with no problems.

Hello, folks!

I have a Pentium D (Prescott) and a Foxconn 945P7AD-8EKRS2HV motherboard. I tried installing with MadTux's ISO, but I got the "still waiting for root device" error. I also tried the other ISOs posted here, but I get the same error. I tried the diskXsY approach as I don't know how to get the UUID. I have a working Kalyway 10.5.2 install, although I don't know if this helps or not. Could anyone please help?

Thanks a lot!

I have personally explained, more than once, how to locate a disk uuid in this and other threads on this topic. Google will also tell you how. Use disk utility.

I am sure you understand that nearly all of the boot-132 iso images are created for different types of system configurations. You need to get one that is close to your own system and then complete the customization to fit your needs. There are threads in the Tutorials sub-forum that will cover that. One of the best build environments is the slimbuild script by ~Galaxy.

The waiting for root device is most frequently caused by a mismatch between your system and the IOkit kext. If you have IDE/PATA drives you will likely need to locate an older version of the IOATAFamily.kext. The threads in the Tutorial forum should take care of that as well. Just do some research.