SSE2 & 3 Retail Leo and Vanilla installs - Boot 132 on pre-Core !

• Please log in to reply
613 replies to this topic

munky

munky

Agent of Evolution

• Retired
  • 2,901 posts
ah well u gots to do ur homework :D sorry i cant be of more help...

teknojunkie

teknojunkie

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 829 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Coding, Skateboarding, Snowboarding, Video Games
so you can put any kernel in there like a nforce kernel, modbin kernel, if thats true that would be awesome then

munky

munky

Agent of Evolution

• Retired
  • 2,901 posts
yup thats the idea.... give it a test and see how you get on :)

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Still looking for some intel sse2 testers!

synapse: draw up a list of kexts ur machine needs to boot a hackintosh and start adding them to the initrd.img. U need to add a clause to the Info.plist to get it to load from the ramdisk. See near the start of the main boot-132 thread for details. I'd post it here but I'm on iPhone with no copy paste ;-)

There is a way to test this in VMware even on Core 2 CPU. I have already done some tests with disabling SSSE3, and should be able to disable SSE3 as well. I will try it and get back to you.

DarkUser89

DarkUser89

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
1: Boot munky´s CD
2: Swap Retail Leo DVD
3: Press 2x Enter
4: Press F8
5: boot: -v

crash no boot

1: Boot munky´s CD
2: Swap Retail Leo DVD
3: Press 2x Enter
4: Press F8
5: boot: rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.modbin -legacy -v

the last screen
Posted Image

munky

munky

Agent of Evolution

• Retired
  • 2,901 posts
darkuser:

those are expected behaviour. first attempt was never going to work - you're not specifying the kernel, so it'll try to use the vanilla kernel which wont work on a Pentium D.

in the second example, your machine is waiting for a root device with uuid F8F... which is most likely the initrd ramdisk.

please re-read the first post - you NEED to specify the root device explicitly - either by rd=diskXsY or by boot-uuid=<uuid of the dvd>

you'll need to figure out the values for X and Y, or find the UUID of your DVD. if you have a working hackintosh install on the machine, you can find either by using Disk Utility.

good luck!

There is a way to test this in VMware even on Core 2 CPU. I have already done some tests with disabling SSSE3, and should be able to disable SSE3 as well. I will try it and get back to you.

woo! thats good news man. i'd like to know the results of that to see if its theoretically possible to boot on SSE2. however, I think real SSE2 machines are still required, as we may have to deal with other deficiencies. i'm not 100% sure what the impact of HPET, PAE, XD etc etc are on booting vanilla - i suspect they're required. can you disable those in your VMWare environment?

imho only Intel chipsets with those features and SSE2 will be likely candidates for booting, unless those deficiencies can be overcome by adding more kexts to the ramdisk. we need, in short, a knowledgeable SSE2 user for testing. any takers?

DarkUser89

DarkUser89

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.modbin -legacy -v rd=disk2

loading loading and reboot :-(

munky

munky

Agent of Evolution

• Retired
  • 2,901 posts
disk2 isnt enough. you need to specify something like disk2s1 which describes the disk number and partition number. if you can boot any old hackintosh Tiger or Leopard on that machine, do so and put the retail DVD in the drive once booted, and open Disk Utility. Select the 'Mac OS X Install DVD' and hit the blue 'Info' button - this should tell you the correct value for the diskXsY and the boot-uuid - either should work.

rd=diskXsY

OR

boot-uuid=ABCDE-123-456-ABCDEF (replace this with your real uuid).

in other news...

an update on my setup - i usually need an older version of IONetworkingFamily and IO80211Family to get Wifi, and I need Natit to get my X1800 to work, and ALCInject for audio.

i placed these on the ramdisk, and booted my vanilla install. result - Natit is doing its thing, I have resolution changing (usually I have QE and CI but no res change), so thats working. Still no wifi, I will need to experiment more. Still no audio.

also, i tried booting the modbin kernel without -legacy. it booted to desktop, but I dont think its running 64-bit mode - certainly Get Info on the Chess application made no mention of 64-bit and Activity Monitor reported Chess.app running as an 'Intel' (rather than Intel 64-bit). Hmm....

munky

munky

Agent of Evolution

• Retired
  • 2,901 posts
was having a think about how best to proceed for my ultimate 'vanilla' setup.

basically what i'd like to do is treat the OS as installed by apple as sacrosanct. i want to get my machine fully working (gfx, audio, wifi etc) without ever having to put anything into /System/Library/Extensions. or at the very least, without having to modify anything thats put there by apple. (putting *extra* stuff in is theoretically ok, cos apple wont overwrite it in a software update).

however, i'd prefer to have it untouched, because i want to share a USB disk between my work machine (a MacBook Pro) and my hackintosh. i have partial success in this so far - I can boot my work machine's clone on the hackintosh and have working gfx (Natit on the ramdisk). If I can have wifi (critical) and audio (nice-to-have) then i'll be set.

ultimately, i'd like to perhaps create a second partition on that disk which will boot the boot-132 routine and then boot the main partition. plugging the same disk into a real mac should just boot the normal apple bootloader from the first partition :(

munky

munky

Agent of Evolution

• Retired
  • 2,901 posts
@Dense: sorry, i dunno why your post has ended up halfway thru this topic...

anyway, as you can hopefully see I realised that uuid was unnecessary, as rd=diskXsY works just as well.

im intrigued about the prelinked kernels though... do tell :(

3Dman

3Dman

a3Dman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
I have manged to get it work on my Celeron D machine, And I've successfully booted the retail Leopard DVD.
I was having "Still waiting for root device error" but I fixed it by adding AppleVIATA.kext on my BOOT-132 ISO.
I have problems with PS/2 but I'll add its kexts to the BOOT-132 ISO.
Thanks a lot :(

munky

munky

Agent of Evolution

• Retired
  • 2,901 posts
excellent!! great 3dman, thanks for providing the first independent verification of this method :D

i sent you some kexts by PM which may help overcome your PS/2 problems. failing that, go buy a USB keyboard and mouse :(

3Dman

3Dman

a3Dman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
No PS/2 Problems :D
Thanks munky for the kexts they fixed PS/2, Now all things are working as they should, I'll install it tomorrow and see what will happen :)
Thanks

munky

munky

Agent of Evolution

• Retired
  • 2,901 posts
woot!

iSynapse

iSynapse

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Hi everyone...
i saw something fishy with the 132-BOOT iso`s. Regardless of which iso i boot my pc..after it load the stuff from initrd.img (the whole dots thing ........... ) it says for about a second:

System config file '/cam.apple.boot.S/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist' not found

and then continues normaly...

Is that ok to do so? Anyone encountered this thing before?

munky

munky

Agent of Evolution

• Retired
  • 2,901 posts
synapse: yeah, i noticed that too. doesnt seem to be anything to worry about.

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,951 posts

woo! thats good news man. i'd like to know the results of that to see if its theoretically possible to boot on SSE2. however, I think real SSE2 machines are still required, as we may have to deal with other deficiencies. i'm not 100% sure what the impact of HPET, PAE, XD etc etc are on booting vanilla - i suspect they're required. can you disable those in your VMWare environment?

imho only Intel chipsets with those features and SSE2 will be likely candidates for booting, unless those deficiencies can be overcome by adding more kexts to the ramdisk. we need, in short, a knowledgeable SSE2 user for testing. any takers?

Well my real P4D machine has had a disk crash so won't be testing there until it gets fixed. VMware can mask flags from the CPUID instruction which is how I tested the SSSE3 requirement. It should be able to mask out all the other bits e.g. PAE, XD. HPET is different as is part of the BIOS definition. Whilst I know how to modify a VMware BIOS it is more of a PITA, and would need time to do it.

munky

munky

Agent of Evolution

• Retired
  • 2,901 posts
donk: ok man, well if you can manage that'd be cool, otherwise don't sweat it :)

j o e l

j o e l

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
why do you need to put rd(0,1) and boot-uuid. trying to understand how this method works. thanks

Donk

Donk

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,951 posts

why do you need to put rd(0,1) and boot-uuid. trying to understand how this method works. thanks

(rd0,1) points to the ram disk that is loaded by the modified boot-132 loader. It is where the extra extensions and the modified xnu kernel are being stored. Once you do this the xnu kernel thinks that it is going to start all its processes from the ram disk, which obviously is the wrong place. Using the boot-uuid or preferably the rd parameters just tells the modified kernel to go and read all the other information, extensions, ... from either the installed hard drive or the installaiton DVD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy