SSE2 & 3 Retail Leo and Vanilla installs - Boot 132 on pre-Core !

munky

614 posts in this topic

Hi all.

I've read all the 23 pages of this thread and saw that one guy had the same problem as me, but as he didn`t told us if he figured it out, I'll need your help.

After booting 132 boot disk I'm not able to boot from the retail leopard dvd.

I've tried a lot of ids (from 80 to 84 are my hard drives) but none was able to boot the dvd, even the classics 90 and 9f.

Is there a way (DOS, WIN or OSX) to determine it?

I have a P5WD2 Premium, the DVD drive is attached to the "Intel IDE port" as its the one compatible with OSX (I've been installing OSX on this machine since I bought it) but for this method there is something I'm not able to figure it out by myself.

Thanks for any help!

Hey what's up people?

I've managed to figure out why my burns weren't working, and ever since then, I've been trying out different combinations of kernels and kexts. Durning that time, I have even been able to install and boot up to Iatkos 4.1; so I know my computer can run it. However, having already purchased a retail 10.5.4 Leopard dvd, I would still like to get the boot-132 bootloader working. I think I have a winning combination for my laptop, but I'm still getting a kernel panic. I've attached this jpg. Any suggestions?

GetAttachment.jpg

Hey what's up people?

I've managed to figure out why my burns weren't working, and ever since then, I've been trying out different combinations of kernels and kexts. Durning that time, I have even been able to install and boot up to Iatkos 4.1; so I know my computer can run it. However, having already purchased a retail 10.5.4 Leopard dvd, I would still like to get the boot-132 bootloader working. I think I have a winning combination for my laptop, but I'm still getting a kernel panic. I've attached this jpg. Any suggestions?

GetAttachment.jpg

Well, the panic is caused by the IntelCPUpowerManagement kext. Since you didn't list the kext in yout initrd.img file on the boot-132 cd there is no way to tell what else is wrong. However, if you don't run a disabler.kext or the like the power management kext will load and panic every time.

1 step closer....

Ok, I took care of the kernel panics and FINALLY got away from the "Still waiting for root device" error. Come to find out, the UUID that I found in TransMac was NOT THE ACTUAL UUID! In the end, what I had to do was install IAtkos 4.1 on a seperate hd, load my retail disc in, check the utilities, and that's when I found out that they were different.

However, the system still hangs on the firewire security error. (The ISO is a bit modified version of 3d man's). Any ideas?

CA3A0091.jpg

1 step closer....

Ok, I took care of the kernel panics and FINALLY got away from the "Still waiting for root device" error. Come to find out, the UUID that I found in TransMac was NOT THE ACTUAL UUID! In the end, what I had to do was install IAtkos 4.1 on a seperate hd, load my retail disc in, check the utilities, and that's when I found out that they were different.

However, the system still hangs on the firewire security error. (The ISO is a bit modified version of 3d man's). Any ideas?

CA3A0091.jpg

That firewire error is normal and not the cause of the hang. I note that you have nvidia graphics. Are you using nvkush (sp?) kext? If so, that may be your problem. Others have reported that removing it allowed the boot process to complete. Then they solved the graphics resolution issues later.

Like I said previously, without a list of the kext in the initrd.img file it is rather hard to help.

Here is the list.

I know I don't need some of the ATA drivers; but what else?

Also, would there be anything that you'd recommend?

Through each person's ISOs, there are different combinations of kexts...I've been trying them one-by-one, and have been adding/subtracting as I see fit. However, is there a way to know whether or not I require a certain kext, or is it all through experimenting?

Untitled.jpg

Thanks,

John

Here is the list.

I know I don't need some of the ATA drivers; but what else?

Also, would there be anything that you'd recommend?

Through each person's ISOs, there are different combinations of kexts...I've been trying them one-by-one, and have been adding/subtracting as I see fit. However, is there a way to know whether or not I require a certain kext, or is it all through experimenting?

Untitled.jpg

Thanks,

John

John,

I am assuming you are attempting to get a retail install dvd to boot so you can do an install. If that is correct, I think, in this case, less is more. I would suggest you remove the audio and pccard kext. Maybe the framebuffer kext as well. You don't need audio or changing video resolution to do the install.

I would start off with dsmos, disabler, IOATAFamily, AppleSMBIOS, AppleACPIFamily, and ApplePS2Controler. See where that takes you. Can you boot and still have use of the keyboard and mouse. Those are the basics. Once you get far enough you could do the install, you can always go back correct any non-working hardware problems one at a time.

To some extent, it is trial and error until you get a boot CD customized for your system. I assume you are using CD-rw disks so you don't build a pile of coasters ;)

Bladerunner (or anyone else), could you assist me? I am using a CD made by forum member moes, who has a system with is almost identical to mine. I am getting the kernel panic pictured below, though... it looks to me like it is caused by IOPCIfamily and IOGraphicsFamily but I am not sure if that makes sense. I have also attached a list of the kexts included on the boot-132 CD. I am using the voodoo_beta2 like so: rd(0,1)/voodoo_beta2 busratio=28 -v boot-uuid=xxxxxxxx.

Any suggestions as to what I should do would be greatly appreciated!

post-34122-1226345123_thumb.jpg

post-34122-1226345148_thumb.png

Bladerunner (or anyone else), could you assist me? I am using a CD made by forum member moes, who has a system with is almost identical to mine. I am getting the kernel panic pictured below, though... it looks to me like it is caused by IOPCIfamily and IOGraphicsFamily but I am not sure if that makes sense. I have also attached a list of the kexts included on the boot-132 CD. I am using the voodoo_beta2 like so: rd(0,1)/voodoo_beta2 busratio=28 -v boot-uuid=xxxxxxxx.

Any suggestions as to what I should do would be greatly appreciated!

What, exactly, is the typing sequence when you enter the "rd(0,1)/mach..."?

You boot the boot-132 CD and see a text display. Then you press F8 - correct? Then you see a prompt for the hex drive ID - like 80,81 ... [9F]. Then you swap the install DVD for the boot-132 CD - correct?

And, after you press enter and see another text display you press F8 again. It's at this time you enter the "rd(0,1)/mach...". Correct?

Let me know.

Correct. I do the steps exactly as you have outlined, then after hitting F8 at the boot command prompt I enter:

rd(0,1)/voodoo_beta2 -v -legacy boot-uuid=(uuid of my install CD, which I got from disk utility)

This particular boot-132 disc also has the Toh kernel, and I have tried that as well, but it didn't seem to get as far. This is the error i got when using that kernel (attached).

Thanks so much everyone for your help with this!

post-34122-1226350791_thumb.jpg

Correct. I do the steps exactly as you have outlined, then after hitting F8 at the boot command prompt I enter:

rd(0,1)/voodoo_beta2 -v -legacy boot-uuid=(uuid of my install CD, which I got from disk utility)

This particular boot-132 disc also has the Toh kernel, and I have tried that as well, but it didn't seem to get as far. This is the error i got when using that kernel (attached).

Thanks so much everyone for your help with this!

I never had good luck with the beta2 kernel. That's why I am still on beta1. I am not sure why you are using the -legacy option. I thought that was for 64bit processors.

Other than that, I am at a loss to see the cause of your problem. I will need to think on this a while. Sorry I can't be more help just now.

I have an old Compaq EVO with Pentium 3,0 GHz. I could try this install on it, but I don't have any extra HDs. I guess I'm just gonna have to erase the XP install on the old HD? :angel:

Ok, I decided to try it out.

All I need are drivers for ATI radeon 9800 Pro (AGP) and it would be safe to try.

Sound and LAN can be added with PCI cards if they won't work out of the box.

Ok, I decided to try it out.

All I need are drivers for ATI radeon 9800 Pro (AGP) and it would be safe to try.

Sound and LAN can be added with PCI cards if they won't work out of the box.

Darnit! I tried some 132 boot cd with voodoo kernel, and got it to boot the OSX retail DVD, but the install hung at the first white apple screen. So I couldn't even mess around with the About this mac utility, or disk utility :(

I need some help with picking the right boot cd. Any ideas?

now trying again with modbin kernel. Seems like this one gets stuck at the white loading screen too.

What am I supposed to type at the darwin boot to get this to work?

How could anyone help you? You don't provide any information about your system - CPU type, drive partitioning, etc.. and, you don't provide any hint about what you typed in the previous attempts.

Have you tried reading the first post in this thread? It tells you what you must type to get it to work.

Sorry about that.

The PC has a Pentium 4 3,0 GHz processor, 1 gig of 800 MHz ram, one empty HD, Asus P5A2-E DH motherboard and and a DL DVD+-RW optical drive.

This far I've tried your img, munky's img and one other. I managed to get as far as the white apple loading screen with modbin_dfe image, but the installer wouldn't load.

I have read all the posts in this topic and I'm pretty sure I did everything correctly.

If someone could make me a customized boot cd for my hardware I would be really thankful.

Oh and step-by-step idiot-proof instructions would be nice too :)

Sorry about that.

The PC has a Pentium 4 3,0 GHz processor, 1 gig of 800 MHz ram, one empty HD, Asus P5A2-E DH motherboard and and a DL DVD+-RW optical drive.

This far I've tried your img, munky's img and one other. I managed to get as far as the white apple loading screen with modbin_dfe image, but the installer wouldn't load.

I have read all the posts in this topic and I'm pretty sure I did everything correctly.

If someone could make me a customized boot cd for my hardware I would be really thankful.

Oh and step-by-step idiot-proof instructions would be nice too :thumbsdown_anim:

Well, knowing that you have a P4 based system helps. Still, I have no idea what you typed in what sequence. Saying that you get to a "White Apple loading" screen says to me that you didn't use the "-v" kernel flag. If you had, we could have some idea where the boot process stopped.

When I use a pre-boot cd like this my sequence looks something like this:

at first pre-boot prompt press "F8" -> see hex ID prompt for 80,81,.. [f9]

eject cd -> insert dvd -> press enter -> at first display from install dvd press "F8"

at install dvd boot prompt enter

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.modbin  -v  boot-uuid=your-specific-installDVD-uuid

If you can't get the correct UUID for your install dvd you can use "rd=diskXsY" format but it is not as reliable. You get the UUID for the install dvd from disk utility -> Info panel.

That's an idea of what I meant by the typing sequence. Without that, I have no idea what went wrong.

I used that exact rd(0,1)blaa blaa with my install DVD's UUID. I checked the UUID with my Mac Pro's disk utility, so I know it was correct.

That -V command doesn't really help since the text was passing by so fast I couldn't read it.

Edit: This time I tried to read all the flashing texts and there didn't seem to be any problems there. The texts flashed by and then the screen wen't black. It has been black now for about 10 minutes.

Bloody hell...

I used that exact rd(0,1)blaa blaa with my install DVD's UUID. I checked the UUID with my Mac Pro's disk utility, so I know it was correct.

That -V command doesn't really help since the text was passing by so fast I couldn't read it.

Edit: This time I tried to read all the flashing texts and there didn't seem to be any problems there. The texts flashed by and then the screen wen't black. It has been black now for about 10 minutes.

Bloody hell...

OK. The text going by so fast is normally the kext loading. It's normal for the screen to go blank at that point. What should come after that are messages about the kernel, some messages about duplicate or older kext being skipped and then some messages about DNS, vga display etc.. You never got to any of that. Correct?

Not sure what is causing this condition. It's the first one I have encountered that didn't display more after the first blanking.

What version of OS X is on your install dvd? Tiger or Leopard 10.5.n? And which kernel are you using in the rd(0,1)/xxx ? I know I had problems when attempting to install a 10.5.1 dvd using one of the voodoo beta kernels. I had to drop back to the modbin kernel until I upgraded to 10.5.5.

Nothing happens for 30 minutes after the screen goes blank. I didn't bother to wait any longer.

I'm using Leopard retail DVD (10.5.1), so it should work. I have tried using the voodoo and modbin kernels.

Should I try Sleep kernel from Kalyway install DVD, or something else? Kalyway has been installed on the pc before, but its really difficult to update, so I won't go back to using kalyway.

Nothing happens for 30 minutes after the screen goes blank. I didn't bother to wait any longer.

I'm using Leopard retail DVD (10.5.1), so it should work. I have tried using the voodoo and modbin kernels.

Should I try Sleep kernel from Kalyway install DVD, or something else? Kalyway has been installed on the pc before, but its really difficult to update, so I won't go back to using kalyway.

Well, I would think 30 minutes is way long enough. I doubt I would have waited that long - unless supper was ready ;)

I am going to send you a PM with a link to a zip file with the setup I have used to build the iso I now use. It will give you the ability to experiment with the kext needed for your system.

I am uploading the file now.

ahoi together,

after lot of frustrating nights i will aks you all for your help and hints to my following issue:

1. my setup:

Toshiba Satellite M30-344 Notebook

Intel Centrino M 1,5 Ghz only SS2 cap.

ICH4, 512 mb ram

nvidia fx 5200 go with 64 mb ram

2,5 ide hdd

2. type of installation:

i really tried nearly everything but onl yone method helped me to get a installation of a retail osx on this disk.

i attached the hdd through a usb firewire enclosure to my osx86 desktop rig and installed the clean unmodded osx

through the munky-way-of-installation on the hdd.

3. the problem:

after reinserting the hdd into the notebook, it doesn´t matter, which way of booting i choose, it stops at this:

post-23591-1226924335_thumb.jpg

due to several modified booting cd´s or usb stick images the comments on the top of the screen are different,

but at the end regardless of booting options (-legacy) or (-v) or (-f) or (-x), the booting process will stop at the line:

MAC Framework successfully initialized

using 2621 buffer headers and 2621 cluster IO buffer headers

for this screenshot i used the following extensions next to the voodoo kernel (the bladerunner iso) inside the initrd.img

post-23591-1226924609_thumb.png

the AppleACPIPlatform.kext is different to the one of bladerunners, because after searching for a solution i read this article of SticMAC™ where he has posted another AppleACPIPlatform.kext file.

but this has not solved the issue.

what else i can do?

maybe there is something in the bios? i don´t really have much options to choose inside this bios.

but what should be needed to be set up or for what i should search?

greetz, knobsi

I never had good luck with the beta2 kernel. That's why I am still on beta1. I am not sure why you are using the -legacy option. I thought that was for 64bit processors.

Other than that, I am at a loss to see the cause of your problem. I will need to think on this a while. Sorry I can't be more help just now.

I tried the beta1 kernel as well, no luck with that either. I think my hardware is cursed :D