SSE2 & 3 Retail Leo and Vanilla installs - Boot 132 on pre-Core !

munky

614 posts in this topic

hi Bladerunner

I have tried booting

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.1 -v boot-uuid=(dvd uuid)

and

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.1 -v rd=disk3s2 (this is what diskutil shows in the os)

This is the typing I used

Thanks for the reply

That's not what I meant. I was asking what, exactly, you typed after the boot-132 cd had been booted.

Did you press enter and see the request for a hex id of 80,81 with a default of [9f]? What did you do then?

At which prompt did you enter the rd(0,1).....

That's not what I meant. I was asking what, exactly, you typed after the boot-132 cd had been booted.

Did you press enter and see the request for a hex id of 80,81 with a default of [9f]? What did you do then?

At which prompt did you enter the rd(0,1).....

Thanks for the clarification, after the boot-132 cd booted I hit f8, enter just loops back to the press any key to boot cd or hit F8 for boot options , and get the normal darwin boot prompt. At this point I ejected the boot cd and put in the retail dvd. and at this prompt I typed in the rd(0,1)....

See pictures attached

post-300665-1224733431_thumb.jpg

post-300665-1224733445_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the clarification, after the boot-132 cd booted I hit f8, enter just loops back to the press any key to boot cd or hit F8 for boot options , and get the normal darwin boot prompt. At this point I ejected the boot cd and put in the retail dvd. and at this prompt I typed in the rd(0,1)....

See pictures attached

Ok. I didn't kow you were using a slimbuild created CD. Try this. When you hit F8 and then see the slimbuild prompt (picture on the right) press Esc (escape). You should then see a prompt that asks for a Hex drive selection and shows 80 81 or a default [9F].

Now, eject the boot-132 cd and insert the install dvd. Don't type anything. Just press enter. When you again see an F8 prompt - this time from the install dvd. Press F8. You should see a reference to the install dvd.

Now is the time to enter your rd(0,1)/mach_kernel etc...

See if this sequence helps. I think you were entering the rd(0,1)... at the wrong point.

can someone do me a favor and answer my question :D thanks, I had my bios modified by kabyl and now i am getting stuck at the uuid section but i dont have a mac to find out what it might be ;) another thing is taht since i dont have a mac i cant really create my own .img file.... i have searched for an alternative way to make one in vista or xp but no luck.....

I basically need kext for

945gse chipset, gma950 vide, and i believe rt1000 for sound.... i have an atom processor that supposrts sse2, 3, and ssse3, HT.

I tried original boot132 but this one does not contain the dsmos.kext

any help would be appreciated,

Thanks.

Ok. I didn't kow you were using a slimbuild created CD. Try this. When you hit F8 and then see the slimbuild prompt (picture on the right) press Esc (escape). You should then see a prompt that asks for a Hex drive selection and shows 80 81 or a default [9F].

Now, eject the boot-132 cd and insert the install dvd. Don't type anything. Just press enter. When you again see an F8 prompt - this time from the install dvd. Press F8. You should see a reference to the install dvd.

Now is the time to enter your rd(0,1)/mach_kernel etc...

See if this sequence helps. I think you were entering the rd(0,1)... at the wrong point.

Thank you very much for the advice BladeRunner ;)

I followed your instruction and was able to boot and install the retail 10.5 dvd I have onto my P4 Prescott .

I used the boot-uuid= option to boot the dvd as the rd=diskxsx seemed to keep changing when I would try and boot. Now I need to learn how to do that booting from efi partition setup,like it says in your sig. After I get that setup I'll do a system update to 10.5.5.

post-300665-1224741851_thumb.png

post-300665-1224741859_thumb.png

Thank you very much for the advice BladeRunner :lol:

I followed your instruction and was able to boot and install the retail 10.5 dvd I have onto my P4 Prescott .

I used the boot-uuid= option to boot the dvd as the rd=diskxsx seemed to keep changing when I would try and boot. Now I need to learn how to do that booting from efi partition setup,like it says in your sig. After I get that setup I'll do a system update to 10.5.5.

To set up an EFI partition, please follow the instructions found in the first post of this thread [Guide] Boot from EFI partition, zero modification installs on Intel

Read it carefully and download the v 5.1 update script. You should be fine.

Hello to All!

I hope everyone is doing well today… I've been reading this forum for about a week and a half now, and trying to get involved in the Hackintosh Scene. Anyways, there are a lot of very talented people here, and there is a lot of good information. I've spent many hours after work trying to get a retail copy of OSX Leopard 10.5.4 installed on my laptop, but I'm stuck.

Let me break it down for ya. I'm trying to use the boot132 for SSE2 (pre-core) method, and I can't seem to get it to work right. I have downloaded and tried Munky's, 3D Man's, BladeRunner's, and RetailIntel's ISOs, but I'm stuck at the dreaded "Still Waiting for root device". I do not have a Mac/Hackintosh, so I cannot look up my UUID on the disk utility; however, I have found it using TransMac for Windows. Upon booting, I do this procedure:

Boot up to the bootdisk,

At the "boot" prompt, I put in the OSX disc,

Then I push enter a couple of times until the countown begins.

At that time, I press F8, and enter this command:

Rd(0,1)/(kernel name) –legacy –v –f boot-uuid=E6880BDD-BA46-4B3C-8A02-6E49B65E3699

Depending on whose disc/kernel I use, it gets to a different point. On 3dMan's disc, I get an error on loading the firewire driver. On BladeRunner's disc, I get an instant restart; and on Munky's disc, I get to the firewire, and that's when it gives me the "Still waiting for root device.

I have also tried to use:

Rd(0,1)/(kernel name) –legacy –v –f rd=disk(0-3)s(0-3)

I have all the combinations (ex. 0s0, 0s1, etc.), sometimes it would get further than the firewire depending on which combination; however, the results were still the same. ("Still waiting for root device")

Afterwards, I decided to compile the list of kext files and kernels that I need and made my own ISO. Being that I don't have an up-and-running copy of OSX, what I did was extract the contents of other people's IMG files using TransMac, put them all into a folder (that would soon become my IMG file), copied the kexts that I required into the "extensions" folder, copied the kernels into the root folder, and created my image file with UltraISO. My IMG file was not HFS+ formatted, but I wasn't sure if it mattered. I then copied the contents of someone's root drive for my ISO. I created and made my ISO bootable (again using UltraISO). I burned the ISO, and tried it out. The ISO loaded and went through the "………"(dot) process as it was supposed to, and gave me the boot option. I changed discs, and tried to run the "patch" kernels, but I seems like it did not recognize them. Basically, it just started the countdown again. I wondered if there was something that I needed to change in the "boot" file in order for it to recognize the kernels, but I could not find anything that might be of use to me there.

So that's basically where I'm at. Any suggestions? I'm a noob at this gig, but I'm trying to make it happen. However, if someone knows what kext I need to get past the "Still waiting for root device" and doesn't mind putting an ISO together for me, I would GREATLY appreciate it. I have a few firewire kexts that I downloaded, but I'm not sure if that's the problem or if it has to do with my ide drive. (I'm running an Ultra ATA IDE drive) Anyways, as many of you know, it's a LONG process; but I'll be happy just to get it running, and I'll worry about my devices afterwards.

Once again, thanks for your help, and my system specs are in my signature if that helps.

Thank you,

John D.

Hello to All!

I hope everyone is doing well today… I've been reading this forum for about a week and a half now, and trying to get involved in the Hackintosh Scene. Anyways, there are a lot of very talented people here, and there is a lot of good information. I've spent many hours after work trying to get a retail copy of OSX Leopard 10.5.4 installed on my laptop, but I'm stuck.

Let me break it down for ya. I'm trying to use the boot132 for SSE2 (pre-core) method, and I can't seem to get it to work right. I have downloaded and tried Munky's, 3D Man's, BladeRunner's, and RetailIntel's ISOs, but I'm stuck at the dreaded "Still Waiting for root device". I do not have a Mac/Hackintosh, so I cannot look up my UUID on the disk utility; however, I have found it using TransMac for Windows. Upon booting, I do this procedure:

Boot up to the bootdisk,

At the "boot" prompt, I put in the OSX disc,

Then I push enter a couple of times until the countown begins.

At that time, I press F8, and enter this command:

Rd(0,1)/(kernel name) –legacy –v –f boot-uuid=E6880BDD-BA46-4B3C-8A02-6E49B65E3699

Depending on whose disc/kernel I use, it gets to a different point. On 3dMan's disc, I get an error on loading the firewire driver. On BladeRunner's disc, I get an instant restart; and on Munky's disc, I get to the firewire, and that's when it gives me the "Still waiting for root device.

I have also tried to use:

Rd(0,1)/(kernel name) –legacy –v –f rd=disk(0-3)s(0-3)

I have all the combinations (ex. 0s0, 0s1, etc.), sometimes it would get further than the firewire depending on which combination; however, the results were still the same. ("Still waiting for root device")

Afterwards, I decided to compile the list of kext files and kernels that I need and made my own ISO. Being that I don't have an up-and-running copy of OSX, what I did was extract the contents of other people's IMG files using TransMac, put them all into a folder (that would soon become my IMG file), copied the kexts that I required into the "extensions" folder, copied the kernels into the root folder, and created my image file with UltraISO. My IMG file was not HFS+ formatted, but I wasn't sure if it mattered. I then copied the contents of someone's root drive for my ISO. I created and made my ISO bootable (again using UltraISO). I burned the ISO, and tried it out. The ISO loaded and went through the "………"(dot) process as it was supposed to, and gave me the boot option. I changed discs, and tried to run the "patch" kernels, but I seems like it did not recognize them. Basically, it just started the countdown again. I wondered if there was something that I needed to change in the "boot" file in order for it to recognize the kernels, but I could not find anything that might be of use to me there.

So that's basically where I'm at. Any suggestions? I'm a noob at this gig, but I'm trying to make it happen. However, if someone knows what kext I need to get past the "Still waiting for root device" and doesn't mind putting an ISO together for me, I would GREATLY appreciate it. I have a few firewire kexts that I downloaded, but I'm not sure if that's the problem or if it has to do with my ide drive. (I'm running an Ultra ATA IDE drive) Anyways, as many of you know, it's a LONG process; but I'll be happy just to get it running, and I'll worry about my devices afterwards.

Once again, thanks for your help, and my system specs are in my signature if that helps.

Thank you,

John D.

Hi, I got the waiting for root device error also if I had trhe rd=diskxsx or boot-uuid= wrong. It could be that you have an ata controller that's kext was not included in the pre built iso's you've download. Do you know what ICHX it is? ICH4,5,6 ?

Hey thanks for the quick reply! I did a search and it looks like it is "ICH4". I hope that helps.

Thanks again for your support!

John

So for ich4 it sometimes give that error even when things are set up proper, you might need to do some editing of the ioatafamily/plugins/intelich's plist can you find out the device id for the ata controller, also be sure the dvd drive is set to master or slave, no cable select.

Hey thanks for the quick reply! I did a search and it looks like it is "ICH4". I hope that helps.

Thanks again for your support!

John

I think you may be able to use modified IOATAFamily.kext which supports all ICH family controllers. Get it from this post: AppleIntelPIIXATA kext fully working for all ICHx Mobo (All Sata Channels working).

Good luck.

This has made great progress since I last checked, great work to all!

I am a HP TC1100 user - this unit which has never been able to properly boot leopard.

It too uses an ICH4 chipset with intel GMA855, 1.2ghz Pentium M "Dothan" and GeForce4 Go 420

That said, I am very interested to hear of any luck with the ICH4 kext above!

For what it's worth, iDeneb v1 v1.1 and v3 all will boot the install disc, as will Kalyway 10.5.1.

So this leads me to think the kernel and kexts on the install discs that boot should be used in my boot 132 disc and maybe that will work?

If anyone ever wanted a sse2 challenge, this computer is it. No one on the planet has installed a disc after 10.4.6 on it from what google's told me.

Confirm a working install on pentium4 (northwood!!)

After a few interesting weeks reading here and burning about 100 cd's (rw) i finaly managed to get somewhere.

Since the northwood pentium 4 (older then the prescot) couldn't boot the original dvd...with the install iso's here.....i was hoping that someone could fix it......bladerunners iso was such one.......it helped me to get past the Still waiting for......:( SWFRD.......but kept hanging on some "headers" stuff.

I realized i had to put in a working kernel.

Since i had a successful install 10.5.4 with atkos....installed it on a test disk...i thought i could use some of it (toh kernel was used)

Went in that install and did this:

Put bladerunners iso on desktop>opened the / hd in Finder..(this is the hd with the installed system)....copied initrd.img from bladerunner iso to / hd.

Opened the initrd.img.....took out the system.kext (trashed it) and put a copy of mine (system>library>extensions)

Put in the install disk iatkos 10.5.4 (same one i used for the install i'm working on) open console and cd to the dvd.....cp -p toh /Volumes/initrd

Unmount initrd....leave initrd.img on /

Now use the BOOT-KABYL-BUMBY.iso (u have to put it on root hd) simply next to initrd.img....mount the iso.

Then use CDBoot_RC2.sh......to create your new iso.

To check unmount BOOT-KABYL-BUMBY.....mount your new iso.....mount intrd.img......cd to it in console (u cant see toh with Finder) and check.

Well the rest rd(0,1)/toh -legacy -v -f rd=diskXsY

Specs pentium 4 (northwood) 2,8

Albatron 865PE Pro MB

2,5 g ram

20gb ide primary master

dvd secondary master

Next....my amd laptop

Thanks for the detailed post! I have very similar specs to you, but so far I have not had any luck getting this to work. I think maybe my BIOS needs to be updated, so I have to try that first, but so far whenever I try and boot I just get the grey screen with the apple, and then I'm stuck. Wish me luck, hopefully I can get my system to work like yours!!

Just an update- I've got the kexts for my machine, as well as the modified-ide gig.

However, I am still having problems creating/burning the IMG and ISO files.

As mentioned in the last post, I am using TransMac to extract the files and UltraISO to create the image files (ISO and IMG) but the

IMG file is NOT HFS+ and according to UltraISO, the IMG that I am using is a "CloneCD"

file format. Also, is the IMG file supposed to be in a bootable format as well?

I then can do one of two things:

1)Use another person's ISO file and save my IMG file inside then burn.

2)Create my own bootable ISO file, but copy the root contents from another person's ISO/disc. (With the exception of the IMG file)

Also, if I create my own ISO file, what type of data image do I need? (Of course it has to be bootable)

(That goes for the IMG file as well)

Also, what should I do about checksum?

I have only been able to have it run through the process one time, but that was before I started basing my ISO from another person's. At that time, it seemed like

the bootloader did not recognize the kernels. (Also at that time, I can't remember what exactly I did...)

By the way, the only way I can set it up to boot from the USB drive is if I already have OSX installed right?

Anyways, any help is appreciated!

Thanks again!

John

Just an update- I've got the kexts for my machine, as well as the modified-ide gig.

However, I am still having problems creating/burning the IMG and ISO files.

As mentioned in the last post, I am using TransMac to extract the files and UltraISO to create the image files (ISO and IMG) but the

IMG file is NOT HFS+ and according to UltraISO, the IMG that I am using is a "CloneCD"

file format. Also, is the IMG file supposed to be in a bootable format as well?

I then can do one of two things:

1)Use another person's ISO file and save my IMG file inside then burn.

2)Create my own bootable ISO file, but copy the root contents from another person's ISO/disc. (With the exception of the IMG file)

Also, if I create my own ISO file, what type of data image do I need? (Of course it has to be bootable)

(That goes for the IMG file as well)

Also, what should I do about checksum?

I have only been able to have it run through the process one time, but that was before I started basing my ISO from another person's. At that time, it seemed like

the bootloader did not recognize the kernels. (Also at that time, I can't remember what exactly I did...)

By the way, the only way I can set it up to boot from the USB drive is if I already have OSX installed right?

Anyways, any help is appreciated!

Thanks again!

John

Send me a link with the kexts for your rig zipped up and I'll build you a Slimbuild boot cd for your setup.

Ok,

Ive been going after this for a few days now with no success. I'm trying to boot to a disk with a existing install of mac 10.4.8. I noticed its loading kexts on the hardrive. Does this matter? The boot-132 disk looks like its doing everything correctly but then dies after a while.

Any suggestions?

UPDATE: Got if figured out. I was specifying the wrong bootdisk.

I've tried to boot with the modbin disk, (have a P4@3.2ghz). I put my Leodisk in, press Enter, write 9f (my cdcode), press F8 and write in the modbin boot command. My disk is disk3s0. It loads all kexts, and then my comp just restarts. Anyone have any suggestions?

I've tried to boot with the modbin disk, (have a P4@3.2ghz). I put my Leodisk in, press Enter, write 9f (my cdcode), press F8 and write in the modbin boot command. My disk is disk3s0. It loads all kexts, and then my comp just restarts. Anyone have any suggestions?

Not 100% sure, but I think you need to have another look at your install dvd diskXsY value. I don't think any of them would have an "s" value of "0" - or is that a typo? My retail dvd shows up as disk1s3. Some cd/dvd I burn show up as disk1s1 or disk1s3, but never disk1s0.

Since the disk number can change during a reboot, you might wish to try the boot-uuid= method. It is preferred because the uuid for a cd/dvd won't ever change.

When I load the boot loader disk and try and find my DVD drive I cant find it. All my HD's are there from 80-84 but 90 doesnt work. Is there a place I can tell the hex code for my specific drive?

The normal default for the cd/dvd drive is [9F] - was the "90" in your post a typo?

9f didnt work. :( not sure why but I tired every combo of every letter and number. The only number letter combo that worked was 7f but re-booted after I hit return.

But I did get this error after the initrd loaded

system config file ' /com.apple.boot.s/Library/preferences/systemconfiguration/com.apple.boot.plist' not found

I guess I will try a different iso image.

I tried it again with a different ISO file from a different forum. Again doesnt work. same error message with the com.apple.boot.plist and again not able to use 9f. and 7f just rebooted the comp.

any ideas? could it have anything to do with the purple SATA ports and orange ones?