EVGA 8800GT - Problems

the_gael

8 posts in this topic

I am experiencing some issues with a EVGA 8800GT and wonder if anyone could shed some light.

I am using a build which was done using Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD install (Vanilla), 10.5.3 Kalyway Combo update, NVinstaller v.52 used, Software Update 10.5.4.

There have been no issues for the last two months but today I had a system crash - I rebooted and continued what I was doing editing a jpg in Photoshop and editing a html file in Dreamweaver. A little while later I experienced a black screen which remained after reboot. The machine booted normall and brought up the Apple logo and spinning cartwheel but when it should enter the Graphic interface it blanked out. I rebooted several times with the same issue. I then bumped up the voltage very slightly to the PCi Express bus in the bios. rebooted and it booted normally (however this may be a red herring).

During the course of testing I discovered that when I try and change resolution I get a blue screen which will not go away unless I reboot. This issue may always have been there I just never tried changing from the 1900x1200 which is the native resolution on my monitor.

It occurs to me that maybe I will try using EFi Studio and install the efi string rather than using nvinject.

Question - Do I simply remove nvinject.kext and then run EFi Studio to install the efi string or is there more I need to do?

It occurs to me that maybe I will try using EFi Studio and install the efi string rather than using nvinject.

Question - Do I simply remove nvinject.kext and then run EFi Studio to install the efi string or is there more I need to do?

You would want to delete the caches as well then on the next boot after having used the string installer hit the F8 key to get to the boot loader screen now use the hit any key option to be able to type in then hit the enter key -f this will force the reload/rebuilding of the caches. If you do not know how to delete the caches then use the below in Terminal (it is located in the Application -> Utilities folder) after the sudo -s you need to type in your password you set on install.

sudo -s
rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/Caches
rm -r /System/Library/Caches
rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

You would want to delete the caches as well then on the next boot after having used the string installer hit the F8 key to get to the boot loader screen now use the hit any key option to be able to type in then hit the enter key -f this will force the reload/rebuilding of the caches. If you do not know how to delete the caches then use the below in Terminal (it is located in the Application -> Utilities folder) after the sudo -s you need to type in your password you set on install.

sudo -s
 rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/Caches
 rm -r /System/Library/Caches
 rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

MacUser2525 - thanks for your reply - I had already removed nvinjext.kext and then installed the EFi string by the time I read your post but I had not cleared the caches. I have now cleared the caches.

Everything works fine in terms of QE/QI but I still have the issue of not being able to change resolutions - any thoughts?

MacUser2525 - thanks for your reply - I had already removed nvinjext.kext and then installed the EFi string by the time I read your post but I had not cleared the caches. I have now cleared the caches.

Everything works fine in terms of QE/QI but I still have the issue of not being able to change resolutions - any thoughts?

Not really I just tried changing it here with mine and other than looking damn ugly it worked fine. One thing though maybe try setting everything in our machine to stock speeds to see if the overclock is screwing it up and make sure if overclocking that you set the PCI-e setting in the M.I.T. to 100mhz to lock the bus at that speed.

Not really I just tried changing it here with mine and other than looking damn ugly it worked fine. One thing though maybe try setting everything in our machine to stock speeds to see if the overclock is screwing it up and make sure if overclocking that you set the PCI-e setting in the M.I.T. to 100mhz to lock the bus at that speed.

Good idea - I will try that! Interestingly I tried locking the PCi-E at 100mhz on my other machine which uses a ATi Radeon x1950Pro card and that gave me problems - on these Gigabyte claim that these boards default to 100mhz if you don't specify a speed but my experience tells me there is a difference between setting to 100mhz and leaving on Auto. I will check it out!

There appears to be a very slight unsharpness of picture using the EFi string as opposed to the nvinject.kext - did you experience that?

Good idea - I will try that! Interestingly I tried locking the PCi-E at 100mhz on my other machine which uses a ATi Radeon x1950Pro card and that gave me problems - on these Gigabyte claim that these boards default to 100mhz if you don't specify a speed but my experience tells me there is a difference between setting to 100mhz and leaving on Auto. I will check it out!

I always set things manually most times, too many useless BIOS experiences had to do anything else really...

There appears to be a very slight unsharpness of picture using the EFi string as opposed to the nvinject.kext - did you experience that?

No never any problems I get a nice clear picture/video/fonts on both my monitors.

I always set things manually most times, too many useless BIOS experiences had to do anything else really...

No never any problems I get a nice clear picture/video/fonts on both my monitors.

Thanks for that - I think I will go back to NVinject so that I can check that I am correct in thinking it works better for me! To reverse the process I just went through what do I have to do to remove the EFI string from com.apple.Boot.plist.

I have EFi Studio - can that be used to remove?

Thanks for that - I think I will go back to NVinject so that I can check that I am correct in thinking it works better for me! To reverse the process I just went through what do I have to do to remove the EFI string from com.apple.Boot.plist.

I have EFi Studio - can that be used to remove?

Never used it so not sure you can become root using the sudo -s in Terminal as before then edit the file with this.

nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

To delete the part that looks similar to this.

<key>device-properties</key>
  <string>6d0500000100000001000000...</string>

Save the file (CTRL + O then hit enter key to confirm file name) and exit (CTRL + X)