Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L Leopard Mac Kalyway Leo4All Post-Install Troubleshooting

Donjuanjack

68 posts in this topic

If you ever have system panics when changing applications, loading applications, saving files, burning dvds, using firefox, using torrent applications, etc., then it is probably your power supply.

It might be your power supply unit being not powerful enough..creating an unstable system... .e.g. start an application or use a hard drive, or burn a DVD and the system will crash... not enough electricity from you power supply....screws your system up.... get a PC Power and Cooler Power Supply Silencer 750. They are the best on the market in terms of quality/price.

His system shouldn't need more than a good 500W supply. I have the same processor and a similar (8600GT) graphics card using dual monitors and it runs games in windows just fine. Considering the low power consumption of a hard drive, I doubt that accessing one would cause trouble if the system can start up in the first place. Of course the easiest way to test this is to try and run a game in Windows.

I'm having plenty of kernel panics, and I'm currently searching for a fix for some of them. The Ralink wifi adapter I have (Linksys WUSB54GC) is known to cause KP's, but I'm also probably using the wrong kext for something else... I'm going to try using AppleACPIPlatform, AppleHDA, msdos, and IOAHCIFamily kexts from LS8V12, then downgrade my BIOS from F9 to F8, and hopefully experience fewer panics. Will try to remember to update this post.

I have an ep-45-DS3L with everything running perfectly, except that my 1066 mhz memory is registering as 800 mhz.

Is there a fix for this? Memory is Corsair 2x2gb dominator and bios is registering it as 1066. latency is 5,5,5,15 and

that is all good in the bios.

thanks in advance

I have the same issue with my ram too. The bios says 1066, a profiler says 800. Hmmm.

Other than that I have everything working perfectly except for shut down. It seems to shutdown but the fans in the case are still running. Haven't seen a fix for this yet.

I have a nice install on this board. I score 210 in XBench without the disk test. The hard drives are very slow though. The install is located on an 80GB IDE and there is a 250GB SATA2 drive also which I'm planning on moving the install to. They both score about 40 in XBench, which tells me that I'm using the wrong kexts. Also, in System Profiler it sees the 6 SATA ports as "Unknown AHCI Standard Controllers". My Sata and IDE controller drivers must be wrong. Can someone post up the recommended SATA and IDE kexts for this board? Thanks

I have a nice install on this board. I score 210 in XBench without the disk test. The hard drives are very slow though. The install is located on an 80GB IDE and there is a 250GB SATA2 drive also which I'm planning on moving the install to. They both score about 40 in XBench, which tells me that I'm using the wrong kexts. Also, in System Profiler it sees the 6 SATA ports as "Unknown AHCI Standard Controllers". My Sata and IDE controller drivers must be wrong. Can someone post up the recommended SATA and IDE kexts for this board? Thanks

Are your bios settings set properly to recognize ACHI first, and thereafter legacy IDE? There are two settings in BIOS for this. I don't think it is a kext issue at all.

Also, for your IDE drives, do you have it set properly at the drive jumpers for automatic recognition or master/slave?

A more reliable test of drive speed is to due a giant copy of a movie file 700MB or 4GB....and a seperate test of a folder full of small files. The giant movie file will tell you how many Megabytes per second your are getting in throughput. => size of file divided by seconds to copy.

thanks for the reply. I have my BIOS set up to use AHCI and when I tried to use a kext to not "have" to use AHCI I didn't get any speed improvement. Just so you know how I'm enabling AHCI, I hit delete, then go to Integrated Peripherals, then the first option there is to switch from Native(maybe) to AHCI. I will do the tests, but I'm pretty sure I have AHCI set up correctly... this seems like a driver issue to me.

Can someone with this board please post the correct hard drive kexts? I switch out kexts a few times and now xbench is reporting nothing above 20 with the disk test (I read that it's supposed to be about 80 with a modern drive). Please help me, this is driving me nuts

Can someone with this board please post the correct hard drive kexts? I switch out kexts a few times and now xbench is reporting nothing above 20 with the disk test (I read that it's supposed to be about 80 with a modern drive). Please help me, this is driving me nuts

Did you try a large file copy timed test of your own using a watch? Xbench for some reason doesn't seem reliable. I had poor drive results on Xbench but when I did real world tests of my own, I found that the drive speed was completely fine...e.g. 100+ MB/s throughput. That meets the drive specs for maximum speed. As for random writes that really depends on the individual drive brand....but you shouldn't have to worry about the writes because the 16/32 MB drive cache takes care of such issues since most random writes are very small files. There shouldn't be any driver problem at all with your harddrives because any operating system interfaces using an industry standard communication protocal with harddrives...eg. the harddrives all have the same control/communication language.

I'm not sure what speeds are supposed to be for my hard drives, but they feel a bit sluggish. More importantly, at least one of them (probably the IDE drive) is making a strange sound that is almost a beep, but not quite whenever it's being accessed after being idle for a little while. I'm afraid may be doing damage to my drive. Can you PLEASE just post whatever kexts I am supposed to have installed? My data could be at risk at this point.

I tried the AppleHDA patcher for the GA-EP45-DS3L but the process is stuck after SPDIF in:

* Patching AppleHDA.kext to 0x10ec0883 Done

* Checking AppleHDA for patch Done

0001f4a0 cmpl $0x10ec0883,%eax

00020584 cmpl $0x10ec0883,%eax

* Checking for SPDIF Out Detected

* Checking for SPDIF In Detected

I see the little rolling icon but it doesn't go any further, can someone help me: is theres something related to the bios setup or to unplugged AC97 or HD plug? or is the process take a lot of time? or do I have to plug something to the sound entries? please help me! :(:)

I had the same problem.

I tried a different version, which I had from a complete GA-EP45-DS3L retail install guide (can't find it anymory, sorry!).

It seemed to work and I have sound. Well, you can't call it sound :D

Something comes out of the speakers, but you have to guess what it should be, sounds like an old vinyl-disk full of scratches :(

Anyone the same problem?

I'm not sure what speeds are supposed to be for my hard drives, but they feel a bit sluggish. More importantly, at least one of them (probably the IDE drive) is making a strange sound that is almost a beep, but not quite whenever it's being accessed after being idle for a little while. I'm afraid may be doing damage to my drive. Can you PLEASE just post whatever kexts I am supposed to have installed? My data could be at risk at this point.

What was your install method for the OS?

Your drives are small...and assumingly very old drives....therefore a bit on the slow side compared to today's new drives. I've never heard of any hard drive kexts before... Sounds like you should either redo the install of the OS completely using a mainstream method, or invest in a new sata drive (seagate is the best). You should always have 2 drives each with the OS, one for main use, and the other for testing patches/updates/kexts, etc. a third data backup drive can't hurt given that Hackintosh are likely go belly up for who knows what reason when fiddling with non apple approved hardware.

I had the same problem.

I tried a different version, which I had from a complete GA-EP45-DS3L retail install guide (can't find it anymory, sorry!).

It seemed to work and I have sound. Well, you can't call it sound :D

Something comes out of the speakers, but you have to guess what it should be, sounds like an old vinyl-disk full of scratches :(

Anyone the same problem?

New method for Leopard install / updates:

Universal patcher:

http://######.com/index.php?option=...9&Itemid=48

Sound patch files attached

EP45_DS3L___Sound_Patch_Files.dmg

Hi Warstrong.... btw...do you have a sufficiently powerful power supply unit? 500Watts or more.... 750W is ideal. You need that to power your 4 or 5 drives + quad core unit. 400 watts is probably not enough and will cause the drive problems

I have GA-EP45-DS3L MoBo, and setup Leo 10.5.4 retail through grub-dfe boot, updated to 10.5.6 through the combo update, everything turned out fine after i followed a lot of infos on these boards, got the sound working through a series of patches ( tried so many that i don't know which actually worked, but the sound is out), power off is working from one of the many things i ran,(still dont know which), ethernet on the mobo worked OOB, so this hackintosh seems to be working fine. However, there are still a few minor things I would like to have it solved,

1) Hardware info and memory info are displayed as "There was an error while gathering this information". after the vanilla install off of 10.5.4, they were displaying the correct value. but when i finished updating from 10.5.6 combo, i recieve the above msg.

2)PS/2 dont work, its not essential since this board is not lacking in USB ports, but extra USB ports are always nice to have around.

3)when i run Toast, the burning device is not found. I have an sony IDE DVD RW drive, in system profiler, it is registed as

SONY DVD-ROM DDU1675A:

Model: SONY DVD-ROM DDU1675A

Revision: 1S01

Serial Number: LFS852004527

Detachable Drive: No

Protocol: ATAPI

Unit Number: 0

Socket Type: Internal

Low Power Polling: No

Power Off: No

I know the above 3 questions have been asked through and through, but with my limited computer knowledge, I cant find any suitable solutions that I can understand, please help.

GA-EP45-DS3L

Intel Q9550

1T WD HDD

2x 2G DDR2 800

Nvidia 8800 GT

thanks in advance.

edit: in weaksauce12's guide( http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...mp;hl=ep35+ds3l ) there are links to solving the hardware info and PS/2 problems, but when i click on them, I got a blank page.

Hi Domjuanjack,

Do you have a little tutorial how to use the Universal patcher to get the sound working on the EP45-DS3L? I tried your DMG file with the AppleHDA patcher and i doesn't work (see my last post)...

try it a again... and if not, then in different order of the steps to take. it seems flaky sometimes, the patch install process.

• 1 month later...
Here's a AppleAzaliaAudio.kext for ALC888 on GA-EP45-DS3L. It only gives you 2-channel Output, no Input/Digital/Microphone. Make sure to remove AppleHDA.kext, HDAEnabler.kext, and ALCinject.kext. This kext has given me the best sound on this board. I tried many AppleHDA solutions, some would work and some would cause choppy sound or low-quality sound.

EDIT: I have now also included a AppleHDA.kext. This one works 100% on the GA-EP45-DS3L, it also has fixed bass for Line Output. :thumbsup_anim:

Also for running this board in Non-AHCI mode (aka IDE Native Mode), check out this modified AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext @ http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=129222

This helps!!!!!!!!!! Thanks :thumbsup_anim:

but how can I setup microphone??? I've done only the folowing:

• remove AppleHDA.kext, HDAEnabler.kext, and ALCinject.kext,
  • install AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

Do I need to install AppleHDA.kext?