Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L Leopard Mac Kalyway Leo4All Post-Install Troubleshooting

Donjuanjack

68 posts in this topic

This is a discussion forum for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L Post-Install Troubleshooting

For instructions on how to install on this motherboard and to download patches, go to the following discussion thread:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=123699

Retail Leopard Install/Updates method:

1)

Universal patcher:

http://######.com/index.php?option=...9&Itemid=48

2)

Sound patch files attached

3)

Linux Audio Codec Dump for this Motherboard specifically:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=33965

Sound Patch Files are attached in this message for download.

Use Kext Installer Application for installing Step 2 of sound patches

EP45_DS3L___Sound_Patch_Files.dmg

• 2 weeks later...

I have the EP45-DS3L and don't have working sound at all.

I used the dump from here and taruga and it says that spdif is detected when doing the patch, but upon rebooting I still don't have working sound. There are no audio devices detected in the system preferences.

* Patching AppleHDA.kext to 0x10ec0888 Done

* Checking AppleHDA for patch Done

0001f4a0 cmpl $0x10ec0888,%eax

00020584 cmpl $0x10ec0888,%eax

* Checking for SPDIF Out Detected

* Checking for SPDIF In Detected

* Using the following nodes in pathmap

Back Mic: 9 34 24

Line In : 8 35 26

Speaker : 20 12 2

Headphone: 27 38 37

Spdif In : 10 31

Spdif Out: 30 6

* Copying new config to destination Done

* Repairing Permissions Done

* Deleting Extensions Cache Done

** Done patching - You can reboot now **

You also have to install these two patches to get sound:

Use this to install the two patches:

Kext Installer Application for Taruga and other patches

I used the dump from here and taruga and it says that spdif is detected when doing the patch, but upon rebooting I still don't have working sound. There are no audio devices detected in the system preferences.

Hi, I've been in your shoes. Check my post here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=896950

If your problem still persists though, feel free to pm me.

You might need to repair permissions before restarting after adding those sounds kexts.

chown -R 0:0 *

chmod -R 755 *

cd ..

touch Extensions

rm Extensions.mkext

rm Caches/blablabla/kernelcacheblablabla

diskutil repairPermissions /

and still nothing...

Only by using the .kexts I linked in my post I get sound support.

does anyone know where the files are that let the os recognize the dvd burner?

i ask as my dvd burner was recognized on kalyway 10.5.4 and is recognized on another hd i have using boot132. however, when i tried to make the boot-132 method the default on my primary hd, it is not recognized. any ideas?

thanks

does anyone know where the files are that let the os recognize the dvd burner?

i ask as my dvd burner was recognized on kalyway 10.5.4 and is recognized on another hd i have using boot132. however, when i tried to make the boot-132 method the default on my primary hd, it is not recognized. any ideas?

thanks

Is your DVD burner SATA or PATA (IDE) ?

its sata. its working now after a reinstall very wierd lol

i do have another question. about half the time i use my dvd drive, i will have a kernel panic. any way to fix this by chance?

It could be a hardware failure (DVD Drive or the SATA Controller glitches) or something related to software. Launch the Console (use Spotlight to locate it as "Console", or browse into Utilities/Console.app) and post any log snippet it might come handy to track down excactly the r00t of the problem.

A time saving approach however could be to try another DVD unit and see if it fails too.

PS. Is your system O/C and if yes, have you fixed the PCI-Express Bus Frequency to 100MHz ?

Hi.

Currently I'm on EP45-DS3L/Jas 10.5.4 updated to 10.5.5. The goal is to run the Vanilla 9.5.0 kernel with both Restart and Shutdown functionality.

If I use the Vanilla 10.5.5 kernel (9.5.0) my system can perform Shutdown, but Restart fails.

if I revert back to ToH Stage-XNU 9.4.0 (and the matching System.kext) both Restart and Shutdown work.

Reading through the forums one can easily determine this behaviour is related to AppleACPIPlatform.kext.

The following is derived from /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/Info.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>d
	<string>English</string>
	<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
	<string>AppleACPIPlatform</string>
	<key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>
	<string>1.0.3, Copyright Apple Computer, Inc. 2003-2005</string>
	<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
	<string>com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform</string>

Perhaps the problem lies here: <string>1.0.3, Copyright Apple Computer, Inc. 2003-2005</string>

I've already tried this .kext: Latest Reboot Patch from LS8's Install Pack / Guide unfortunately to no avail.

Any hint would be greatly appreciated.

If you're using your EP45-DS3L in AHCI SATA Mode you may have noticed that under System Profiler the Controller is described as "Unknown".

That's because there's no info in /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAHCIPort.kext/Contents/Info.plist related to this new chipset.

If you just simply add the following lines:

<key>ICH10AHCI</key>
			<dict>
					<string>com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort</string>
					<key>Chipset Name</key>
					<string>ICH10 AHCI</string>
					<key>IOClass</key>
					<string>AppleAHCI</string>
					<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
					<string>0x3a228086</string>
					<key>IOProbeScore</key>
					<integer>2000</integer>
					<key>IOProviderClass</key>
					<string>IOPCIDevice</string>
					<key>Vendor Name</key>
					<string>Intel</string>
			</dict>

nothing will change. The reason why ? I believe during boot ICH10 falls into the first description found into Info.plist which is about a Generic AHCI Controller, moreover of unknown origin :).

So what I did was simply delete the lines describing that Generic AHCI Controller:

<key>GenericAHCI</key>
			<dict>
					<string>com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort</string>
					<key>Chipset Name</key>
					<string>AHCI Standard Controller</string>
					<key>IOClass</key>
					<string>AppleAHCI</string>
					<key>IOPCIClassMatch</key>
					<string>0x01060100&0xffffff00</string>
					<key>IOProbeScore</key>
					<integer>800</integer>
					<key>IOProviderClass</key>
					<string>IOPCIDevice</string>
					<key>Vendor Name</key>
					<string>Unknown </string>
			</dict>

The same effect might be achieved by moving the code for the Generic AHCI Controller to the end of the file and placing the code for ICH10 at the top.

Hi there,

I have the same motherboard and I have some issues. If someone could chime in and help that would be perfect:

I couldn't get my harddrive to be recognized as internal. All 5 of them.

I installed using generic boot-132 and retail dvd.

patched to 10.5.5 using combo updater and started moving kexts from the generic into /system/library/extensions and removed AppleEFIRuntime.kext and AppleIntelCPUManagement.kext. I then installed chameleon and it boots up fine.

However, Harddrives doesn't show up as Internal, and after a bit of research I downloaded the LS8 package. Tried moving the IOAHCIFamily.kext into it but no good. They're still external. Tried editing plist as stated above, nope. Tried using just the kexts from LS8 in a clean install but it wouldn't boot.

Any help would be very much appreciated....thanks!!!

Janz

Hi there,

I have the same motherboard and I have some issues. If someone could chime in and help that would be perfect:

patched to 10.5.5 using combo updater and started moving kexts from the generic into /system/library/extensions and removed AppleEFIRuntime.kext and AppleIntelCPUManagement.kext. I then installed chameleon and it boots up fine.

However, Harddrives doesn't show up as Internal, and after a bit of research I downloaded the LS8 package. Tried moving the IOAHCIFamily.kext into it but no good. They're still external. Tried editing plist as stated above, nope. Tried using just the kexts from LS8 in a clean install but it wouldn't boot.

Janz

Did you set your BIOS to ACHI? that is critical for proper drive recognition.

And install the drivers using this easy Gigabyte patch set:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=90795

Are you on SATA or PATA drives?

Hi there,

Janz

OOPS.. I ment AHCI

It could be a hardware failure (DVD Drive or the SATA Controller glitches) or something related to software. Launch the Console (use Spotlight to locate it as "Console", or browse into Utilities/Console.app) and post any log snippet it might come handy to track down excactly the r00t of the problem.

A time saving approach however could be to try another DVD unit and see if it fails too.

PS. Is your system O/C and if yes, have you fixed the PCI-Express Bus Frequency to 100MHz ?

i dont have a log snippet of a kernel panic for some reason.

i do have my system overclocked and have it at 100mhz for pci-bus

i heard it could be a jmicron kext issue?

i dont have a log snippet of a kernel panic for some reason.

i do have my system overclocked and have it at 100mhz for pci-bus

i heard it could be a jmicron kext issue?

Pioneer DVD drives tend to have better compatibility...since Apple mainly uses Pioneer drives... probably because they are very quite drives

I have them on SATA, and have AHCI. I don't see any kext i should install from the file packs to fix this? That is a kalyway guide and i'm installing using chameleon + retail dvd guide.

SORRY! I gave you the wrong link. You need to install the following LS8 version 12 kext pack for gigabyte specific motherboards. The EFI studio in the other guide you mentioned does NOT provide sufficient kexts for the EP45 motherboard series. This LS8 version works great. I installed using your method but got half-results until I installed this LS8 pack. You will have to pick and choose which kexts best fit your needs in the LS8 pack (e.g. PS2 keyboard, etc.)

LS8 gigabyte kext installer:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=77165

I have them on SATA, and have AHCI. I don't see any kext i should install from the file packs to fix this? That is a kalyway guide and i'm installing using chameleon + retail dvd guide.

Hey... you've tried LS8 with Chameleon and Retail DVD right? ...ok..same method as I...my drives work fine and show up fine... but what to do you really mean by external versus internal? Are they showing up as USB or something? For me, I have internal Sata drives and external eSata drive... but for me, in my system profiler, they both simply show up as Sata drives without mention of internal or external. I don't quite understand your problem.

Taruga's wiki is down and I can't find another link to download codec address kext.

Can anyone post them?

I have the same problem i cant get sound to work on my ga-ep45ds3l its an ICH10 alc888 and ive tried every thing from dumps to patched. tarugas website is down and cant figure this out. anyone can give us some light :P

Just throw them into the Extensions folder. Repair it's permissions (if broken). Please let me know if you get sound support instantly without restarting. You have to delete ALCinject if it's already installed.

To make sure you have sound support without restarting just launch iTunes or the Preferences/Sound.

At least for me, after installation I loose digital I/O.

Good luck to everyone.ep_45_ds3l_audio_kexts.zip

My installation was also very successful with this board.

First I tried the iAtkos2i distribution. Later I switched to version 4i and selected the vanilla kernel and acpi kext. Be sure not to forget to select the SATA Drivers in the Drivers section during install - this is required since OSX 10.5.4. Onboard audio was not tested, I have an external audio station.

My 'graphics' used some Natit injections, and work fine.

Processor: Intel Q6600

Graphics: NVidia 6200 Turbo Cache 64MB

Ram: 2GB

Disk: WD Digital 320GB

For so far it has been stable. Reboot doesn't work, but sleep mode does. Sometimes an application acts weird, but these are third party apps, so I don't know if it has anything to do with this board.

Also very compatible with Linux

Edit:

Directly after posting this message my system crashed (the irony) and I couldn't get it up and running again. There were freezes at different stages. I'm not really sure it had something to do with the Logitech Control Center that was recently installed, but, there is a big potential.

Now I installed the Kalyway distro, it has better support on updating/drivers.

Have fun with yours :)

I'm also very happy about that mobo.

Processor: Intel Q6600

Graphics: NVidia 7300GS

Ram: 2GB

Disk: 200GB + 250 GB + 500GB

Keyboard: Apple USB Keyboard

Mouse: Logitech MX1000 Laser

Installed using kalyway 10.5.2 + 10.5.3 kalyway combopudate + 10.5.4 update

Everything is working as expected and stable, sleep+restart working !

Just a little thing on the audio, using 2.1 speakers, looks like there's no bass.