Graphics card performance considerably below maximum

anstmich

5 posts in this topic

Hello all,

So I have finally managed to get a (relatively) fully working install of OS X 10.5.2 running on my machine. There is however, one remaining issue. My Nvidia 8800 GTS 640 mb (G80) is performing considerably below its maximum potential. Thus far i have tested its performance in xBench, lightwave 3D (3d modeling, animation and rendering; view ports are openGL accelerated) and a couple games that are openGl accelerated. In Lightwave and the games, I recieved less than HALF the FPS that I got on the same hardware under windows. In xBench, I obtained scores in OpenGL and the Quartz tests that were about half of those obtained by 8800 GT cards.

Currently, I have Quartz Extreme and QuartzGL enabled (via OSX86Tools).

GFX Card: 8800 GTS 640 mb (G80)

Motherboard: I945P

Drivers: NVinject 640

Install medium: kalyway 10.5.2

EDIT: BTW, Im running two displays, if that makes any difference

Does anyone have any idea what is wrong, or how to fix it? I have been browsing the forums for some time to no avail.

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Forget XBench OpenGL Values - even an GMA950 gets better values than an ATI 2600XT!

Those values are NOT near any reality: much to small window, only OpenGL 1.1 test , Xbench NOT updated/recompiled since >2 years!!

For comparing (OS X+Win) GPUs OpenGL Extension Viewer has Benchmark inside (tAB Test).

http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/

For benching use fullscreen, as much resoslution in 32 Bit your moni can handle, activate bench option.

If you cant run at high res (1600x1200, or equal +) because small res TFT, you can activate FSAA*2 or FSAA*4, both forces the GPU to hard work - so also

res at 1200x800 are good to measure+compare (FSAA*2 or *4 enabled).

My ATI HD3850 gets this results left: 1600x1200 res, no FSAA, bench mode , right: 1600x1200 res, 2* FSAA, bench mode

You see: fsaa*2 is hard work for gpu, values 1.1 to 2.0 go down ! value 2.1 (shader test, res independend)

Bild_12.jpg

Bild_13.jpg

Hi, thanks for the replies!

My Opengl Extension viewer results are posted below. They did pretty well, although I should probably run the same tests under Windows to compare. After some further tests, Im starting to wonder if the poor OpenGL performance is simply dependant upon the application I am using. I will test this further as well.

As for the 9f9 and EFI strings, I am unsure what to do for these. Sorry if I am a bit slow, but this is all very new to me. After a bit of searching, I found and downloaded EFIStudio, however, I am unsure what to do with it. There seems to be a lack of documentation for the application and EFI Strings in general, though that could just be a result of poor searching on my behalf. Any info on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

test01.tiff

test02.tiff