• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Kane Adams

Kane Adams

Leave my Sig alone.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
The Shuttle X27, which we reported on last week, is small physically. Turns out, so is the price.

Posted Image(Credit: Shuttle) Shuttle let us know Thursday that the miniscule desktop will start at $189--sans monitor, and peripherals, like all Shuttle PCs. It will be available in mid-September.

Now, $189 isn't the cheapest PC Shuttle makes. But that's the lowest price we've seen thus far in the emerging Nettop category, or small desktop PCs bearing Intel's low-power Atom processor.

The Eee Box from Asus, another Nettop, goes for $350. CherryPal, a newcomer to the space, makes a tiny desktop that keeps most data in the cloud, has a Freescale processor, and is to sell for $249.

Cheap is good, but as my colleague Rich Brown points out, is there actually a large market for these small, low-power PCs when you can get a full-fledged desktop for about the same price?

Shuttle plays to the nichiest of niche markets--people who love Linux--so that's probably not its biggest concern. But the company is clearly hoping PCs that can cut down their power usage and space, as it promises with the X27, will catch on.

[VIA cnet]

CLiDE FTW!!1

CLiDE FTW!!1

Lay off the pipe.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
Where are these "full-fledge desktops for about the same price" he's talking about?

cmdshft

cmdshft

Retired OSx86

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts
I'd like to see a benchmark.

Synaesthesia

Synaesthesia

InsanelyMacaholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,168 posts
It'll be about the same as the 945GCLF, about which there was much discussion on the forum. Atom processor.
-> Build a hackintosh for under $200 - that thread and
-> OSX on the MSI Wind

Kane Adams

Kane Adams

Leave my Sig alone.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
Think I may get one to play with for xmas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2016 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy