Heat issues with WinXP on MBP?

The Viking

6 posts in this topic

I've formatted my disk, partitioned it up, but I had the BRILLIANT idea of creating my slipstream CD from an upgrade CD of XP I have. Then, when it asks for a CD, I can't eject to swap out for an old Win98 CD :(

I noticed that my fans weren't running at all. Now, I'm hearing reports on MacRumors forums that the MacBook gets set-your-house-on-fire hot while in XP, and the fans don't come on.

Those temperature monitors and fan control are pretty critical pieces of the puzzle, anyone know if these reports are true or not? If this is going to melt my 12-hour-old MacBook Pro, I would just as soon skip it and wait for virtualization.

Thanks for your input

<3 T3h Viking

In our neck of the woods, ACPI, Speed Step, and BIOS's ability to read the IC chip that tells it to run the fans at what speed is very critical. Those Intel chips have heat shields and can withstand very high temperatures and the entire system will either shut down or lock. I would actually wait for a finished product before trying to run XP again.

My question is, will the Windows registry and API's recognize the EFI features and will it support them. If you have a working XP, download the following and see if the application can read all the features the EFI supports.

http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=3&lang=en

Regarding slipstreaming an upgrade CD...I did the same thing (I can't find my XP MCE disc), but I figured out that the textmode installer does support external USB optical drives (via a generic USB mass storage driver). I put my old Win2000 disc in the drive before running the XP installer, and it detected the disc after the first 'insert disc' prompt.

I've formatted my disk, partitioned it up, but I had the BRILLIANT idea of creating my slipstream CD from an upgrade CD of XP I have. Then, when it asks for a CD, I can't eject to swap out for an old Win98 CD :D

I noticed that my fans weren't running at all. Now, I'm hearing reports on MacRumors forums that the MacBook gets set-your-house-on-fire hot while in XP, and the fans don't come on.

Those temperature monitors and fan control are pretty critical pieces of the puzzle, anyone know if these reports are true or not? If this is going to melt my 12-hour-old MacBook Pro, I would just as soon skip it and wait for virtualization.

Thanks for your input

<3 T3h Viking

Hi, I did the same stupid mistake and used a Win XP SP2 upgrade and was lost ... but then i realized i had an external sony CDRW-DVDRW drive and I connected that to my MBP via USB while booting for the install and when the screen asked to put in the cd for win2k/win98 etc, i just put in the win2k old installation cd into the external drive since i could not eject the xp install cd from the mbp's internal drive and everything worked out great! Also my fans seem to kick in and modulate in xp when working hard so there is some comfort there and it does not seem to run any hotter in xp compared to os x.

I have had XP running on the MBP 2.0 since last week and the fans do come on when the CPU is pushed to the limit. I have to say the heat is about the same for the two when plugged in. On batteries the Mac OS has better time and lower heat by throttling down the CPU's more frequently and dimming the screen which you cannot do on the XP side..