Obama - Biden!

(MoC)

32 posts in this topic

So few of us take any interest in seriously pondering economic theory or contemplate the complexities of political science, but we sure latch onto "Rock the Vote!" I'm tired of people treating the presidential election like we're selecting a prom king. Those silly slanderous email making the rounds make me want to vomit. And the saddest thing? The candidates know the idea of an informed voter is a complete and total myth and are forced to pander to the stupid and careless among us. We spend our time debating flag pins and who loves America more. The candidates can't talk tough reality or plot a course of any real change for fear of upsetting the status quo.... AMERICAN IDIOCRACY! They are the ones with the real power because of their sheer numbers and the fact their feeble brains can actually power their worthless hulks of human flesh to the voting booth where they :hysterical: it up for the rest of us.

The American way of life is shriveling on the vine. We are nearly bankrupt. There is no possible way... NONE... that we can afford to do business as usual. Sure we can pretend all is fine... for a little while longer... but no more than a decade or two. Then the house of cards we so carefully insist is sound fiscal policy will collapse and then what? Plunge the world into economic meltdown? We must balance our budget BEFORE the world stops wanting to fund our debt. We must rejuvenate our educational system, our transportation and energy infrastructure, our tax code, our trade laws, our immigration law, and our health care system to continue to compete favorably on an international scale. There is plenty of data. The world is awash with living examples of what works and what doesn't. Yet, we are too busy bickering among ourselves to actually speak of it rationally, devise a plan, and DO IT!

Maybe we'll have to wait until we've lost everything before we can muster the collective courage needed for change. That would be a shame. We are a nation of unparalleled resources. We should be leading the world in something besides credit risk and indiscriminate consumerism. Until then, Obama or McCain will be better than Bush. Neither has a sensible approach but maybe they can bide us the needed time to pull our head our of our collective ass.

Why don't you start with a list of the lies and misunderstood views of McCain, since you brought it up.

Said the Iraq war would be easy and short - Lie

Said Obama passed a bill to teach sex ed to kindergardeners - Lie (The bill was to protect children from sexual predators)

Thinks that getting our troops home "isnt that important, as long as they are alive" - {censored}

Said that when he went to Iraq he walked around without any body armor or security at all - Lie

Said that Americans are better off now than they were 8 years ago - Lie

Much Much more!

Heres some video evidence:

Um...If you want more I have it spring loaded and ready to go.

Your turn.

Said the Iraq war would be easy and short - Lie

This is only a lie if he actually knew that it would be difficult and/or long. He may have known that, but I don't know how we'd know if he knew. Is he guilty of short-sightedness? Certainly. (see McCain-Feingold, another case of short-sightedness)

Also, the war against the Iraqi military WAS easy and short. One of the easiest, shortest wars in history. It's the post-war occupation that has been tough. See my previous sentences about short-sightedness.

Said Obama passed a bill to teach sex ed to kindergardeners - Lie (The bill was to protect children from sexual predators)

The bill (which I have read) explicitly states that the bill authorizes sex education in kindergarten. This may be a mischaracterization, because the law also states that it must be age-appropriate. I think there is some justification for apprehension that Obama wants more sex-ed in younger grades, and I also think that safety from predators should not be a part of sex-ed. We have it in the school where I work, and it is not part of sex-ed; it's a part of health-ed.

Let me reiterate that I think this ad was a dishonest portrayal of what I believe to be the intent of the law.

Thinks that getting our troops home "isnt that important, as long as they are alive" - {censored}

Look, if you disagree with McCain's stance on the war in Iraq, and I can post all the places where I disagree with Obama, then we should start a different thread. But this isn't a lie, and it may not even be a misunderstood view. Anyway, he's referring here to our military presence in Japan, South Korea, and Germany (Also, our long-time presence in the Philippines comes to mind.) Olberman was mischaracterizing him again. Even with the context, it's clear that McCain doesn't want people shooting themselves to avoid going to Iraq for another 60 years or whatever. Have you ever heard of someone shooting themselves to avoid getting sent to Germany? Wanting a military presence in Iraq similar to the presence we now have in Germany, Japan, and South Korea is not an evil thing.

Said that when he went to Iraq he walked around without any body armor or security at all - Lie

Well, if he gets as much wiggle-room as Obama did in the defense of the LIES email, then if McCain walked around outside for 45 seconds without body armor or personal guards, then he didn't lie any more than Obama did when he said his dad was a goatherd.

Said that Americans are better off now than they were 8 years ago -Lie

The lie here is that he said we were, then he said we weren't, then he said we were, and so on.

I am most certainly better off now than I was 8 years ago. If you are from the USA, then you'll have to explain how you aren't.

I do worry that my son will grow up to be cannon fodder (I shared these concerns with my mother, who had 3 of her sons during Vietnam, and she said she thought the same thing), but I don't believe that Obama will prevent war or destruction on Earth any better than any other president has. This is not a change that has happened over the last 8 years, necessarily, because my mother had these same fears over 40 years ago.

Now, for Obama's lies:

Here's another one:

Iran is no threat. Or is it???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ-WZut0iYM...id=event_975451

McCain wants another 100 years of war in Iraq!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHnVZpA69j0

Finally, thank you for taking this seriously. When you first posted your whole "iota of intelligence" comment, I thought you were just doing the standard "Your candidate/my candidate" game. Thank you for actually thinking about this! And for making me think too.

Now, for Obama's lies:

I fail to see the lie here.

Here's another one:

Yes, he did some back stepping here, but much of this can be tossed up to personal reflection post-interview and pre-speech. In all cases, he did consistently voice his disagreement with the reverend's statements. An unfortunate situation to be in.

Misrepresentation of his words by combining clips. Individually, I see no real problem.

1) "Cuba, Venezuela: Don't pose a threat" - a true statement.

2) "If Iran ever tried to pose a serious threat to us, they wouldn't stand a chance" - a true statement. We could, conceivably, blow them off the map.

3) "Iran is a grave threat" - True. they are threat to mid-east peace, and a growing potential threat to us. However, they haven't directly threatened us, yet.. and if they did, see 2).

McCain wants another 100 years of war in Iraq!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHnVZpA69j0

Yes. A misrepresentation of McCain's statement. It was sad to see when Obama did this.