EFIX v.1 Now Shipping!

The ePic One

60 posts in this topic

(sigh) how many times do we need to go through this: you can do exactly the same with current bootloader techniques for free, the only thing you *may* be getting with efi-x is convenience, you get *nothing* in extra features, at least as far as anyone knows, and that includes updates and all the rest of it. Free is more work, but open and flexible. efi-x is easy-to-use hardware, but you need to buy one for each machine.

Until a real test or review surfaces, there is no evidence to suggest that there is any functional advantage. I guess it would be like comparing modchipped & softmodded x-box'es

Thank you for your reply, in short: you don't know if software update will work on efi-x.

By the way, you seem to be annoyed pretty fast (looking at the replies you gave in this thread). Perhaps you should filter efi-x threads, as you seem to hate it? ;)

Software update works safely in any hackinstosh instalation as long as you use pmdisabler.kext

I use to install 10.5.0 retail dvd using cdboot-132, then once installed, I boot the hard disk from cdboot-132 and just use chamaleon installer, and smbiosenabler.kext + pmdisabler.kext (both included in cdboot-132 initrd.img by default). Then you can boot from your hd and install safely any update.

Thank you for your reply, in short: you don't know if software update will work on efi-x.

By the way, you seem to be annoyed pretty fast (looking at the replies you gave in this thread). Perhaps you should filter efi-x threads, as you seem to hate it? :)

How can I hate something I've never seen? I'll happily criticise what I have seen, which is appalling marketing and publicity from day 1.

Until some product reaches unbiased and knowledgeable hands we have no way of knowing whether this is a great revolution or a total ripoff. All I'm saying is that nothing so far claimed by efi-x is any different from what you can do yourself for free with a little time & effort, and when people start talking about it in purely wishful terms, I get somewhat annoyed.. It's just technology, it's not magic. it won't wash your clothes for you or cook your dinner. What remains to be seen is how good this bit of technology is.

as far as filtering topics goes, I never filter anything on here, and I certainly wouldn't miss this little noobfest for the world.

You are gonna waste your money. CDBoot132 does the same for free.
How someone chooses to spend their money is a value and judgment call. A lot of people consider Apple's hardware to be overpriced, and that people who buy it are wasting their money. It's all relative to what your wants and needs are, how much money you have to spend, and how much time you have to invest in getting it done.

Lets say someone starts a website for customized cdboot images with the neccesary kexts inside initrd.img for specific motherboards...voilá, you have exactly the same behaviour as EFIX. In fact, I could make a cdboot132 for cybex which would make his motherboard to work in just a few minutes following the same "rules" efix guys followed: just support the most compatible hardware.

Gigabyte boards are known to have almost out of the box audio and ethernet, so just include (in addition to the ones already included in cdboot) alcinject.kext, r1000.kext and nvinject.kext, and voilá.

It wasn't so difficult, was it?

On the other hand, I've been thinking about how EFIx claims to work and that's what I believe they have done:

1.- You boot the computer from usb

2.- A boot loader (probably linux based), loads and scans your devices pci ids

3.- Then chooses the proper kexts from its driver database and uses a similar procedure to cdboot132 to force these drivers to load before anything else with the maximum priority.

Apart from that, I really doubt the graphical bootloader netkas showed on the video was a real EFI working. Probably EFI-x is using just a fake frontend to pretend that.

Guest cavallo

it's your point of view. apple it's over priced, may be, but in the next ten years you will not change your imac macmini or pro.

Buy win pc based that's cheaper, in the next ten years you will need to change you hardware two or three times and the cost will be the double.

Efix is a joke believe me.

it's your point of view. apple it's over priced, may be, but in the next ten years you will not change your imac macmini or pro.

Buy win pc based that's cheaper, in the next ten years you will need to change you hardware two or three times and the cost will be the double.

Efix is a joke believe me.

Hey, fanboy, my 8 years old PC desktop computer is still running well.

I'm not sure that Efi-x is a joke, but it's limited and overpriced device for already very compatible motherboards.

From checking out this product, what the hell is the point? most people need the fixes, and kernel patches. From my experience the releases in the osx86 community can be extremely stable with the correct setup. All it takes is some research. If the EFiX product was worth it it would do more than just let you boot an os x disk. I really dont care that i cant boot my retail leopard disk. Big deal. what benefits will this give people?

Software update works safely in any hackinstosh instalation as long as you use pmdisabler.kext

I use to install 10.5.0 retail dvd using cdboot-132, then once installed, I boot the hard disk from cdboot-132 and just use chamaleon installer, and smbiosenabler.kext + pmdisabler.kext (both included in cdboot-132 initrd.img by default). Then you can boot from your hd and install safely any update.

Thanks for the tips, I got now these kexts, now when you said "pmdisabler.kext" are you talking about the intelcpupmdisabler.kext? that is the only one I found in the cdboot-132 image.

EFI-X vs. boot-132...

Both just let you boot the retail Leopard DVD on non-Apple computers. But, wouldn't you need to install the drivers for your hardware? How does EFI-X have an HCL? Does it have drivers built in, and if it does, can you edit them? And what about boot-132, do you add drivers to that, or after the install?

Ok. I am here to say this. Yes this community like others has worked VERY hard on making hacked disks with drivers and everything that would install PC's. This device is for those that want to use a retail disk with ease, install updates without worrying, and don't want to worry about those annoying boot loaders not working when you screw up. Thanks to ~pcwiz, the driver problem is now easily fixed, so they can install with the retail disk, use this, and his program (Along with all of it's great features, not just drivers. Thanks ~pcwiz!) and then they have a fully working, well, almost mackintosh. It has EFI, Guid, Apple Updates, easy install, and everything that a mac has. This makes it easy for the common person to install on currently supported hardware easy, and avoids them downloading a pre-patched image and not have to worry about any of those laws, because most common users won't patch their own image. This is just my take. Personally, I may pick one up to confer my theory, but I do support is as I see it helping people a lot. They can not be sued, as it only adds PC EFI, which apparently is coming standard in some experimental mobo's right now I was reading about, so I'd recommend getting one before you just throw the idea out of your head. They may work very well for those that don't like hacks, and the fun of this project, and just want a cheap mac. I personally will stick with the osx86 project as long as I can get a dang boot loader to work for my first time. lol. Maybe the tools by ~pcwiz will save my butt again!

Thanks for the tips, I got now these kexts, now when you said "pmdisabler.kext" are you talking about the intelcpupmdisabler.kext? that is the only one I found in the cdboot-132 image.

Yep

EFI-X vs. boot-132...

Both just let you boot the retail Leopard DVD on non-Apple computers. But, wouldn't you need to install the drivers for your hardware? How does EFI-X have an HCL? Does it have drivers built in, and if it does, can you edit them? And what about boot-132, do you add drivers to that, or after the install?

no .kext used

Communication stopped with efi-x ;)

I am trying to contact them, because I wanted to order a device, I got 2 mails from them and now I am ready to pay (via paypal) and they don't reply to my mails anymore.

Do more people experience something similar? Who ordered a device already?

I think that either a mod should close this thread and move all the posts to the one in the Front Page Area or close the one in the Front Page Area and move all of them here, because it is very confusing having 2 threads for the same thing.

Mr Mook Mook