Security Update 2006-2 v.1.1

xiberia

31 posts in this topic

I looked inside the pkg and I can't find any file that has changed since the update was originally released. Its just bizarre. Maybe the PPC version got updated (because lots of PPC users were reporting errors after the update), and they just updated the NAME of the intel version too so they are matching versions.

Whatever, don't bother with this unless your OSX has been acting wierd since the 2006-02 install. I'd wait for 2006-03 before going a-messin' again :D

I'm having an issue, after the update it's locking on startup at:

AppleAC97CodecAD198x: 2-to-4 channel spreading enabled.

I replaced the loginwindow with Maxxuss's, and even did a "update_prebinding -root / -force" from -s mode, but nada. It won't boot with -x either.

Anyone have any suggestions? Every security update has worked great prior to this one for me.

You're not giving us very much info on your system. Do the usual permission troubleshoot in -s mode. If you are still stuck, roll back to the backup image. You did image before you updated right?

You're not giving us very much info on your system. Do the usual permission troubleshoot in -s mode. If you are still stuck, roll back to the backup image. You did image before you updated right?

Sorry, more info: Was from a fresh 10.4.5 install from the demoid disc on a T43 Thinkpad laptop. Did the security update via Pacifist, and copied over the decypted loginwindow via booting with -s and following Maxxuss's instructions... (worked with the other security patches). I swear I didn't see it ask for the loginwindow when I installed it via pacifist, so I copied over the login window manually after it wouldn't boot. The updater I downloaded was through the Apple website, and not through software updates, btw.

What are the usual permission troubleshooting with -s that you are referring to?

Right now I just changing my system version to 10.4.3 in the systemversion.plist and am going to do an upgrade install from the DVD.

Edit - {censored}, looks like the plist thing isn't working, can't do an upgrade.

I don't have 10.4.5 installed, but I think you can update the system the usual manner. It will either give you a message about not needing it, or it will update. 10.4.4 users will need to force update using pacifist.

Make SURE you download and update with the 'Intel Update". I have seen people force update with pacifist using the PPC update version :whistle:. So make sure you downloaded the correct update!

About the perm problem, try to chown -R and chmod -R, the loginwinow.app. The loginwindow maybe the only thing that is cause you this problem as I have no problem updating the other files.

/System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app

That's why if you have no means to backup your entire system, don't do it unless it is confirmed by more than a handfull of trusted people :whistle:.

@ZildjianKX, do you have an AMD system? There are reports of updates breaking a system on AMD.

That's why if you have no means to backup your entire system, don't do it unless it is confirmed by more than a handfull of trusted people :whistle:.

@ZildjianKX, do you have an AMD system? There are reports of updates breaking a system on AMD.

Nope, no AMD system. I'm trying to copy my user folder to my iPod right now, lol.

I think I'm the only one reporting problems at the moment...

It didnt show up in my Software Update. But I downloaded it and installed it. Then used "U know who" security update 2006-001 patch and everything works as it should

Sky

now that's what i'm talkin bout earlier (which is this)

weird, i opened software update but found no updates...?

but as domino said;

If you get that message, the update wasn't intened for your install/system

...so i didn't bother to d/l it as what skyliner34 did eventhough it didn't show in the software update.

If you can not decide what to do, find the change log and the reason why Apple added 1.1. As xiberia said, this update might not be for Intel versions. To avoid confusion, they needed to match updates between the 2 platforms? I have no idea, but if you find the change log at Apple's site, you know if you need this or not.

I don't think there is a changelog - i couldn't find one anyhow. if someone still has the original 2006-02 dmg and the 2006-02.1 dmg, open them both and compare file-sizes and dates. I couldn't find any difference, apart from the name.

I dont think theres anything to patch except for the loginwindow.app thats included. Just use the maxxuss patch for that.

I've been uning my mac for a while now scince upgrading to v1.1, and everything is fine.

I didnt have to update, but I like having the newest stuff ;)

Sky

re: 2006-02 v1.1:

"Apple has released an updated version of a security patch the company issued on Monday. The update addresses a problem that some users had been experiencing with their Safari Web browser after installing the original patch.

The bug affects users who moved Safari out of their Applications folder before installing the update, Apple said on its Web site. “After you install Security Update 2006-002 v1.0, Safari might have a blank icon that won’t launch Safari.”

The new version of the security update, numbered 2006-002 v1.1, allows these users to launch Safari without difficulties, an Apple spokesman said Friday. Users who have already installed the earlier 2006-002 v1.0 version of the update without difficulties do not need to upgrade to the 1.1 patch, he said."

-----

slightly off-topic, 10.4.6 (8I1109) has been seeded to devs. Contains "hundreds of improvements and bug-fixes, and improved bluetooth support". Hundreds of bug fixes? You mean we're running a buggy OS? lol :)

When 10.4.6 appears in your Software Update, DO NOT install it until Maxxuss fixes it.