iATKOS_4i install on Acer Aspire One: tutorial and issues

SbMfr

16 posts in this topic

Hi, here's the how-to I posted on aspireoneuser.com's forum to install iATKOS_4i on the Acer Aspire One netbook. If any of you has any idea about solving the remaining issues, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do tell us!

Original topic: http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtop...f=14&t=1505

-----------------------------------

NOT WORKING

* Wifi, but you can fix it by replacing the internal wifi card with a Dell DW1390, 1490 or 1500 miniPCI-E card.

* Card readers (neither of them).

* Sleep (reboots the machine).

* Audio-in (neither from the internal mic nor from the jack connector, tried with Audacity and Audio Recorder)

DODGY

* Audio: no autoswitching to headphones, "mute" key on keyboard not working.

Here's a topic to help you install iATKOS v4i's flavour of OSX86 on the Acer Aspire One:

A - PREPARING THE INSTALLER

1. Download iATKOS_4i from any reliable source and check its MD5 signature by typing "sudo md5 /path/to/your/iso/file" in Terminal (must be 6ed6282a521fe0ffdcbe028e6e43da0e)

2. First option is to burn iATKOS_4i.iso on a blank DVD (if you have an external DVD drive you'll be able to boot your One from). If you choose this option you can skip to the "INSTALLING" section below.

3. If you don't have an external DVD drive, you can restore iATKOS_4i.iso to a blank partition on an external USB drive with an MBR partition scheme. You can use Disk Utility to do this (provided you already own a Mac or an OSX86 system):

3a. Launch Disk Utility, then drag and drop iATKOS_4i.iso to the list on the left and double-click it to mount it.

3b. Select the drive you want to install to in the list, click on the "Partition" tab, choose "1 partition" from the drop-down menu, type the name you want to give it in the "Name" field, choose "Mac OS Extended (journaled)" in the "Format" drop-down list, click on "Options..." at the bottom, select the MBR partition scheme, click "OK" and finally click "Apply" on the main window.

3c. After Disk Utility has created your partition, select it (NOT the disk itself) in the list on the left and click on the "Restore" tab. Drag and drop the iATKOS installer volume from the list to the "Source" field. Drag and drop the partition you've just created to the "Target" field. Click on "Restore". Disk Utility will now take a few minutes to restore the iATKOS installer to your partition.

3d. Next you need to run OSX86Tools (Google for it) to make your new partition bootable. Run OSX86Tools.app and click on "Install EFI/Run FDISK". Click "OK" when it asks if you want to install the installation source files, type in your administrator password and click on "Run Script". A Terminal window will open. Type in your administrator password once more and choose option 4 (Chameleon EFI). Follow the instructions to choose your drive and partition to install EFI.

3e. When all is done, you can eject your drive and connect it to the One.

B - INSTALLING

4. Power the One and press F12 when the BIOS screen appears, so that you can change the boot device. Select your drive in the list and tap the return key.

5. When the installer loads, click on the button like it tells you to.

6. When you get to the "Welcome" screen, DON'T hit "Continue" straight away. Move your mouse pointer to the "Utilities" menu, and select "Disk Utility".

7. When the Disk Utility application has loaded, click your main drive (the one you want to install to) in the left hand pane. Click "Partition" on the right hand pane. Under "Volume Scheme", click "1 partition". Give your disk a nice name (e.g. "AspireOneHD"). Click "Options..." and select GUID Partition Map. Click "Apply".

8. Wait for Disk Utility to do its thing, then select "Quit Disk Utility" from the "Disk Utility" menu.

9. You'll now be taken back to the installer welcome page. Click "Continue". Click "Agree" when the legalese blurb pops up.

10. Choose a destination drive - obviously the one you just partitioned. Click "Continue".

11. Click "Customize".

12. Customize the installation as follows:

* iATKOS v4i Main system CHECKED

* Darwin Bootloader CHECKED

Everything else UNCHECKED except:

* Drivers/System/Intel Speedstep CHECKED

13. Click "Done" and then "Install", and wait for the installation to complete. The display might freeze during the install process, but everything's fine: just touch the touchpad when the progress bar freezes..

14. Reboot.

C - FURTHER TWEAKING

VIDEO

Install all of Paul's .kexts EXCEPT ACPIBattery.kext AND RealtekR1000.kext (Paul's .kexts and utilities are available here: http://content.modaco.net/paulswinddriverutilitypack.zip )

Reboot, and now you get 1024x600 resolution AND a fully functional battery-status icon in the menu bar AND (last but not least) a Speedstep menu to change the freq of the processor or let it automatically switch between 1600 and 800 MHz (if the menu doesn't show up, just keep on installing. It came back on my machine after installing the audio driver).

NETWORK

Install the Realtek driver for the One's ethernet interface, so that the machine detects pluggin/unplugging of the cable while running (not only at boot-time, like Paul's .kext): http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downlo...01E/RTL8102E-GR

AUDIO & SHUTDOWN (adapted from the InsanelyMac forum)

Download ALC268FIX from here http://rapidshare.com/files/126062908/ALC268FIX.zip

1. Run ALC268Installer 1 but DON'T RESTART YET.

2. BEFORE restarting delete /System/Library/Extensions/ALCInject.kext

3. Use Paul's Kext Helper b7 to install HDAEnabler.kext

4. Fix Permissions with Disk Utility (launch Disk Utility, select your partition and then click on "Repair Disk Permissions" in the "First Aid" tab).

5. Restart and make sure that Internal Speakers is selected in System Preferences>Audio>Output

6. Then run HDA Fix v3. It's all in Italian, but basically always click "OK" until you get to "Riavvia in seguito" (Restart later).

7. Click Restart Later (Riavvia in seguito).

8. Repair permissions once more with Disk Utility

9. Restart

10. Now sound and shutdown should work

USEFUL UTILITY:

*Since sound output doesn't automatically switch to headphones when you plug 'em in, this "Sound Source" utility comes in handy: http://www.rogueamoeba.com/freebies/

It installs a "menu extra" item in the menu bar that lets you select which output to use.

FULL ISO KEYBOARD ("<>" key with French layout, for instance)

Download the modified ApplePS2Keyboard.kext from here : http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...=95568&st=0

Copy it to /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ to replace the original one.

Open Terminal and type:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePS2Keyboard.kext
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePS2Keyboard.kext

Go to System/Library and move Extensions.mkext to trash.

Reboot.

MODIFIED FRENCH KEYLAYOUT (Thanks to VIRAL for his work on this :D)

My own modified French keylayout for the Aspire One can be found here: http://rapidshare.com/files/138491722/FrAs....keylayout.html

Drag it to /Library/Keyboard Layouts/, then open System Preferences>International>Input Menu and check "FrAspireOne" and "Show input menu in menu bar". You should see a flag pop up in the menu bar. Select the FrAspireOne from here.

Reboot if necessary.

Note that the menu key doesn't work, and that Alt and AltGr act as the Command key on a real Mac keyboard, while the "home" key is actually the Alt/Option key.

Et voilà!

MISC ISSUES:

*The "Shared" folder in the Finder doesn't work correctly here. I'll have to investigate further. It shows my Mini as "mini", which is not its name, and doesn't grant me access to its files.

*Unable to share my Mini's printers either. Will have to investigate on this...

*Unable to use the Migration Assistant as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up the apsire one on the weekend... Been playing with ubuntu, but I wanna get osx working on it :D Triple boot!!! I'm downloading iATKOS_4i right now. I gotta make a boot drive or get a usb dvd drive working. I'll see what I can do to get things working as well.

Love these projects!

• 2 weeks later...

i have everything ALMOST working on this. i have partial microphone (Very Low volume) support with the ALC268 january08.zip package. I HAVE:

Full headphone and speakers. Full resolution 1024x600. Battery, Timemachine, Wifi (Atheros AR5BXB6). Didnt test lan because i dont need it.

Things i need:

1. SLEEP!!!!!

2. ALC268 FULL Microphone!

if i have these two i have a fully functional hackbook air mini =)

Im loving this laptop its perfect for people who are always on the move like me.

• 2 weeks later...
i have everything ALMOST working on this. i have partial microphone (Very Low volume) support with the ALC268 january08.zip package. I HAVE:

Full headphone and speakers.

Where can I get the ALC268 january08.zip package?

Is auto-switching internal speakers and headphone working?

Shutdown works everytime?

EDIT (Oct 16, 2008):

It's the same AppleHDA.kext that I used in my installation steps, but I have used the ALC268_Installer1 not 5.

hey how about speed?? is it slow?? how does it work???

i mean is the os working fine?? or it's slow using only 1Gb ram??

Here's a video I made to show the real world speed of OSX on the Aspire One:

Things I tested in the video:

Boot time (45 secs)

iTunes load time (6 secs)

Safari load time (3 secs)

Video playback in iTunes

Video playback in Safari

Widget performance

Expose performance

(I upgraded my Aspire One with 1.5gb of ram, a 250gb hard drive, a touchscreen, and 802.11n wireless.)

NETWORK

Install the Realtek driver for the One's ethernet interface, so that the machine detects pluggin/unplugging of the cable while running (not only at boot-time, like Paul's .kext): http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downlo...01E/RTL8102E-GR

hi, i am having troubles installing the kext from realtek, i installed it but when i reboot it doesnt seem to work :S

so i decided to get back to Paul's kext but when i did that it keept rebooting until i typed -x for safe mode, but when i'm in safe mode i am able to use ethernet, but due it can't start system correctly with the realtek kext i got forced to delete it, when i do that the system boots correctly without any problem...

Do you know which kexts are the ones that was installed with realtek installer?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...