KDE 4 or Gnome?

makwanad

19 posts in this topic

Ok so here I am awaiting to click download for an OpenSUSE 11 live CD and I am presented with 2 options... KDE or Gnome, I've heard some bad things about the new KDE as well as some good things, I'm quite familiar with 3.5 (Mandriva 2008 Spring One) and I'm not really into something that looks similair to windows and for me KDE 3.5 and Mandriva together look very bland and boring ect.

So seeing as I've never really used Gnome I just want to know what are the benefits and differences you dont see (non-visual) between the 2 and what is new in KDE 4 than 3.5.

Many thanks

Dan

Ok so here I am awaiting to click download for an OpenSUSE 11 live CD and I am presented with 2 options... KDE or Gnome, I've heard some bad things about the new KDE as well as some good things, I'm quite familiar with 3.5 (Mandriva 2008 Spring One) and I'm not really into something that looks similair to windows and for me KDE 3.5 and Mandriva together look very bland and boring ect.

So seeing as I've never really used Gnome I just want to know what are the benefits and differences you dont see (non-visual) between the 2 and what is new in KDE 4 than 3.5.

Many thanks

Dan

You can also download OpenSUSE 11 KDE3.5 LiveCD:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=120582

I do not recommend the KDE4 one, as it was an early version of KDE4.

I don't recommend the Gnome one either, as the YaST Software Manager for Gnome has been modified and it is {censored}, IMHO.

Edit: there is also a KDE 4.1 installable LiveCD. I suppose it is based on openSUSE 11.0:

http://home.kde.org/~binner/kde-four-live/

you can uninstall the Gnome Yast software manager and you'll have the kde version inside gnome which is a lot cleaner. Do a

rpm -qa |grep -i yast |grep -i gnome

and you'll get the package name (yast2-gnome_control_center or something like that - I don't have suse in front of me). Then just rpm -e packagename or uninstall (and taboo) it inside yast.

It all honestly depends on what kind of experience you like. Honestly, as a Linux user since 8 years old [i'm 13 now], I have enjoyed KDE as an environment more than any other full blown Desktop Environment [i consider XFCE minimalistic]. In my opinion, KDE 3 would be the road I'd choose until KDE 4 gets to be more stable. One day it will be [Release 4.3, hopefully] and we'll all be moving over, but for now KDE 3 is the best with any distro I've tried, including OpenSuSE and Slackware (my favorites). Needless to say, I hope you get what you're looking for.

~MoC

Well I made my decision, I decided I couldnt live with a windows like feel (after a good 13 years of seeing start bars and nearly every version of windows that came out) so GNOME it is, I have got the 64 bit edition of OpenSUSE 11.0 and very much look forward to using it :(

My next step is to get COD4 to work with WINE :P

Well I made my decision, I decided I couldnt live with a windows like feel (after a good 13 years of seeing start bars and nearly every version of windows that came out) so GNOME it is, I have got the 64 bit edition of OpenSUSE 11.0 and very much look forward to using it :P

My next step is to get COD4 to work with WINE ;)

Well, you're in the wrong distro if that's the case. All of the SUSE Linux systems are very similar in layout to Microsoft Windows. Novell is routinely criticized for it. Their GNOME, as well as their KDE 3/4 feel very much like Windows XP.

It's always been a kind of well-known fact that KDE looks/feels very similar to Microsoft Windows, as GNOME looks/feel much like the Mac OS.

If you really want a radical departure from distros trying to mimic Windows/Macintosh, then check out Xfce. They are by far the newest breath of fresh air in desktop environments.

Well, you're in the wrong distro if that's the case. All of the SUSE Linux systems are very similar in layout to Microsoft Windows. Novell is routinely criticized for it. Their GNOME, as well as their KDE 3/4 feel very much like Windows XP.

It's always been a kind of well-known fact that KDE looks/feels very similar to Microsoft Windows, as GNOME looks/feel much like the Mac OS.

If you really want a radical departure from distros trying to mimic Windows/Macintosh, then check out Xfce. They are by far the newest breath of fresh air in desktop environments.

OK... I won't lie. I haven't regularly used Linux since SuSE 9. I really don't plan on using it in the foreseeable future either. I love my Mac and OS X... not because I am some idiotic Mac-head but because it just works. No tinkering required. I've gone soft that way. *laugh*

Still, Linux does excite me. It is such an amazingly adaptable OS. I feel it is high time they dump their current strategy of overlaying a GUI that is "familiar" to Windows users. KDE and Gnome never struck me as something radically different or worth the change... more like a pair of jeans cut funny. Still jeans that look the same but feel weird. They need to get innovative and go in a whole new direction. Entice market share by offering a uniquely linux experience that is fresh and new.

Sun Microsystems Solaris 10 is the future :)

(please note I did not seriously mean that.

Seems as thought SUSE had problems with configuring my hardware so I'm switching back to mandriva as it just works best for me, the 2009 edition is gunna rock!

KDE 3.5.9 for now until KDE 4 gets to where it's predecessor is at. KDE 4.1 is amazing in how far it has come. It is a completely newly re-written DE from scratch with no old code. It has an emulator to run old KDE 3 software but it shouldn't even be version 4 it should be version 1.1 of an entirely new name. It is truely a work of art and imho puts OS X to shame. If memory serves correctly 3.1 wasn't nearly as feature complete as 4.1 is. They seem to do this and seem to push the curve. KDE introduced multiple desktops, konfubular, and impliments widgets better than osx does by default. Vista didn't steal from OSX no they stole from KDE. I remember seeing the Longhorn concept video and honestly thought a lawsuit was in order. I am not a fanboy in the least but know that KDE has pushed the GUI technology curve far ahead as long as it has existed. It is taking the widget engine to an entirely new level and OSX+KDE FTW. I can't wait to see what KDE 4.5 will look like :-P. KDE seems to be the quiet pretty girl noone pays attention to but the other less pretty girls in class who try to copy her but are louder and more outgoing so the boys play with them instead. Gnome was just a pet project based off of Gimp. GTK wasn't suppose to be a window manager at all but a tool to make plugins easier to manage than in photoshop but got completely abandon for the POS that Gnome is. My only wish was that they actually stopped slaving over Gnome and actually make the Gimp better than Photoshop...

Lol you guys should check out elivecd its the future ololol

Yeah, probably a distant future :(

E17 has been under development like forever.

You have about the same chance as SkyOS or Haiku, 2 operating systems forever under development :D:P