Intel Mac Mini & installing windows xp

jlmodell

39 posts in this topic

I downloaded the new xom.efi file posted by SteveM. Started the installation again.Apparantly, this xom file had a different resoultion that is needed. Instead of filling up my entire monitor I only got a size of 1280 x1024. that fixed the installation issue. the system went ahead and stated to install the windows setup files. the entire installation was done fast and I was finally at the windows desktop.

Here are some issues that I came across .... I guess those would be due to lack of drivers.

- noticed that the keyboard and mouse still freezes abit.

- when I restat windows, it shut down the mini ... but the screen area of windows stays up on the monitor. the monitor cycle power does not get refreshed.

I will try to get my hands on the drivers I need for this mac mini.

I will keep you guys posted.

I downloaded the new xom.efi file posted by SteveM. Started the installation again.Apparantly, this xom file had a different resoultion that is needed. Instead of filling up my entire monitor I only got a size of 1280 x1024. that fixed the installation issue. the system went ahead and stated to install the windows setup files. the entire installation was done fast and I was finally at the windows desktop.

Here are some issues that I came across .... I guess those would be due to lack of drivers.

- noticed that the keyboard and mouse still freezes abit.

- when I restat windows, it shut down the mini ... but the screen area of windows stays up on the monitor. the monitor cycle power does not get refreshed.

I will try to get my hands on the drivers I need for this mac mini.

I will keep you guys posted.

OK that resolution issue must be because the tester who confirmed this worked, had a monitor that was 1280x1024 (must have). The only way to fix this is to make a new XOM.efi that has a X and Y resolution variables that can automatically adjust to whatever your screen res is, or to manually go into the shell and set the X and Y variables so that they fit your screen (this would require using the modded xom.efi in order to get into the console).

Does Windows let you downsize (or upsize) to your monitor's res?

Guys, can you help me out a bit... I used the new xom.efi, and i got past the 0% copy screen, and completed the first half of hte installation. Now my problem is it won't continue to the 2nd half after i remove the windows xp cd.

It just stays at the black and white screen and there is now a dash (-) prompt.

I tried hitting 'g' and it just repeated the last thing.

someone suggested that i try the whole process again, so now thats what i'm doing; any other suggestions?

edit:

FLOPPY: No floppy image (floppy.img) found

CDROMBoot: Unable to read block 00000011: No Media

HDBoot: Found active partition #1 << MSDOS 00064028-01A64027

HDBoot: Found valid boot sector on partition #1. Booting...

int D called from 0D00:0717. GDT=1EDED9C0L0000003F IDT=00000000L000003FF

EAX=00000002 EBX=00013001 ECX=0000FFFE EDX=00000000 CR0=00000010

ESP=0000CFB4 EBP=00000000 ESI=000007CE EDI=000031FE CR3=00000000

DS=0D00 ES=0D00 FS=0000 SS=0000 FL=00000202

0D00:0717 26 67 8B 03 mov ax,es:[ebx]

-

any of that mean anything to anyone?

someone in the irc chat told me to start from scratch completely... i just finished installing osx... god that takes forever x_x;; and i'm trying to install xp again -- i'll update if it works.. and i'll beg for another solution if it doesnt. Lol

OKAY, that solution definetely worked, but i have no clue what changed!

http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/1877/img04034mg.jpg =)

I guess I had all the issues you guys are posting here. I finally got XP (even MCE) working. I think the biggest problem might be caused by the display. I have a 20'' and a 23'' Cinema at the moment. It's the first time that I wish I had a regular 17'' TFT

Using the 23'' Cinema, initially I came all the way to the 0% Screen in the XP Setup and then the system halted. I tried this a couple of times... After installing OSX from scratch, I didn't even get so far. I always got stuck at the black/white "bios" message. With the resolution switch I came a little further (but only one time - the problem is: Cinema HD doesn't supprt 1280x1024).

So I switched to the 20'' Cinema - and here I nearly always got into the XP Setup menu - still the problem with 0%....

But all the problems were gone when I used this MacMiniXom.zip. It looks odd - because a 1280x1024 screen is displayed in the upper left corner, but it went all the way through the XP installation. Once XP is installed, you can switch back to the original XOM file and everything looks perfect.....

I guess the easiest way would be to use a standard vga monitor with a 1280x1024 resultion for the installation....

I also found out, that depending on the install media you sometimes have to use the F6/enter trick (as soon as the black/white screen comes up, press and hold F6 until the CD stops running and then press enter) to get into the XP setup screen and sometimes not (I burned at least 10 CDs).

Also it's important to make sure that you use the correct TXTSETUP.SIF in your XP patch. The one that comes with the 0.1 distribution is for english versions of XP. If you use a different language, some files may be missing during the install process. The same with MCE.

ok - thats my experience with XP on the MacMini. Hope this helps you guys a little.....

Thanks again to Narf2006 and Blanka!!!!!! GREAT JOB!!!!

be wary about installing drivers unless they've been confirmed.. i.e. the network drivers seem to be working universally.. i fudged my install by messing with the video drivers. =\

back to square one... be back in a few hours. -___-

I have a monitor question for y'all. The only computer monitor we have in the house is a 23" Cinema HD, which seems to be causing problems with the XP install on the Mini. Would using Apple's DVI->Video adapter on a small LCD television work? I'm trying to gather all the information on the Mini process before I go out and get one, so I guess I need to know if I should find a cheap computer monitor, too. If it makes any difference, this Mini will be connected to one (non-HD) TV or another about 99% of the time anyway.

Thanks in advance.