Intel Mac Mini & installing windows xp

jlmodell

39 posts in this topic

it seems like most people are using the intel imacs and mac book pros, so i am not sure if i'm the only one with this problem installing windows on my mac mini.

i got as far as windows beginning to copy over setup files, it freezes at 0%.

Anyone else have this issue; and have a workaround?

I don't know if it was my windows xp cd (i downloaded the first one i could find to test this out).

I am burning a new one now without all the extra folders, and i just left in the oem/i386/support/docs; i hope that was causing my error.

--

In the event that works, i read that the intel drivers for its integrated chip from their site, render the mac mini unbootable, so i won't even try them-- what are the other choices with regards to the gma950.. its not like there are other drivers to try out?

well that was not the problem...:sigh:

Are there any intel mac mini owners that can confirm that windows installed? i went searching for the win xp disc that came with my dell, but its sp1a, so thats useless..

I can not confirm the mac mini issue, but as for the sp1 disk that came with your dell. It can be converted into a sp2 disk.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windo..._slipstream.asp

I had the same problem mentioned above it got to 0% and froze so I shut it down. Now unfortunately it made a partition thats NTFS formated and of couse disk utility won't touch anything ntfs formatted so I have to repartition the entire drive

I do have the exact same problem - the installer dies at 0%.... I'm also using a Mac Mini.

I tried using:

- a german MCE Install CD1 (this should be a regular XP Pro SP2 CD)

- an english XP Pro CD with SP2 slipstreamed

(both CD's have valid licences and are not just downloaded somewhere)

any solution for the mini yet?

i've burned like 7 xp cd's so far, and they've all frozen at the same stage...

there has to be someone out there whose gotten this thing working on the intel mac minis, or else those two guys wouldn't have won the big pot of money.. ~.~

As far as I know, the rules were just to install XP on a MBP. But nevertheless these guys helped to implement it on the iMac and the MacMini as well (THANKS To THAT!!!!!). There are people out there with a working XP on a MacMini. The reason, why we cannot boot XP on our MacMinis - I don't know...

So lets try to find out what we're doing wrong. It seems that our problem is related to the MacMini (or does anybody else on a different system have the same problem?).

- First option would be the XP install cd - I tried 3 different ones; jlmodell talked about 7 different versions -> this seems not very likely to be the problem.

- Second option I can think of, might be the system configuration configuration: I have a MacMini 1.66 DualCore, 512MB Ram, 100GB HD -> XP is NOT working

Could you please post the your MacMini configurations and let us know if XP is working or not

Thanks,

Michael

I started doing this install, everything went fine except that my intel mac mini hang just as the installer was about to install the “setup” files. It stayed like that for about 30 mins and northing was happening.

I was wondering if I was surpose to have formated the partition 2. I think I did a full NTFS format.

where did I go wrong?

It seems there is one guy in this forum who got it running on a MacMini. He has a Dual-Core.... (I sent him a message to post his complete configuration).

I also posted our problem at the onmac.net forum. Hopefully we get more replies as soon as people get up in the states (at the west coast it's 7:30 in the morning at the moment).

What else could be wrong? I somehow recall that I called my xp partition "WINDOWS HD" (with a blank) and not "XP" as we were supposed to. I'll try to change that as soon as I get back from work....

Originally i labelled mine winxp, which failed, so i did a 2nd try and didn't deviate from the instructions.

is there a problem with continuing from the ntfs format instead of reinstalling osx over again for the ms dos partition each time? i get the same results either way.

Same issue here.. :( Setup hangs at 0%

I have a mac mini duo 1.6 100GB drive superdrive 1GB Ram

my only diviation from instructions was that OSX was the first partition and DOS was the 2nd. So I tried to install windows on the 3rd partition from the XP CD.

I was about to burn a new CD but I guess I won't bother now..

Todd

I came cross this post here in an effort to try to find a cause for this issue:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php...d=1#post2237091

when I tried again, it doesn't take me back to the setup section. It boots up to the black and white screen ( where the patches were loaded) and hangs again. how do i go about re-installing from the very begining? must I reformat the drive again? I am hoping that I wouldn't have to do that.

Also, could it be possible that the external devices that I got connect to the mini is causing the problem. I got a dell 24" monitor, external firewire drive, printer, scanner, network cables etc.

Would it help if I disconnect all the other devices?

thanks

bhagiratha,

I had the issue as well that it hung at the black and white screen the second time. I just hit enter and it went on - but than I had the same problem with the 0% at the xp setup.....

I guess to start from scratch, you might have to reinstall the whole procedure....

I'll be home in an hour and start trying again....

Michael

Mac Mini Core Solo and I am hitting the same roadblock. I have to work some keyboard voodoo (F6 and enter after the text x2) but I get to the setup screen and hang at the "Setup is Copying files...".

I figure there might be something that I need to enter but no clue what it is.

Yea, I tried it a few times and it still hangs at the initial setup windows screen. i also notice that once the installer gets to that screen, the cd-rom stops spinning. seems like something is not accessing the cd-rom fast enought to access the setup files.

I notice also that when I boot in osx, the partition that xp is to be installed on has the name "Untitled". should it say that or should it say "XP'.

Also, I need to add that I didn't create the "winxp on intel mac" bootable disk. since I don't have a PC, I went ahead and downloaded it here:

HEY no links to torrens, READ THE RULES.

maybe the disk is corrupt .... than again, how do I verify the accuracy of that disk.

non-the-less, am not giving up ..... help will come!

Edited by macgirl

I have a Core Solo 1.5Ghz 512mb ram, 60gb hard drive, combo and I'm having the 0% problem although I only had it the first time I put the disk in now I am stuck at the black screen with white words and it doesn't do anything I tried changing the partition back to ms-dos in the disk utilty but it won't let me without repartitioning the entire drive which I would rather not do because I would lose my OS X and have to restore from the my cloned image again which takes hours. Why isn't there any free mac partition managers that work with intels...grrr

I'm just trying to reinstall with the slow format option (therefore I deleted the partition in the xp setup and created a new one). if that doesn't help I'll try to start all the way from the beginning - including the whole osx installation.....

I'll let you know if it helps...

ok - the slow format option didn't help at all.... so I tried to install everything from scratch. This time I did everything as stated in the Howto (including partition names). But as before I changed sizes for the partitions. I had about 25GB for windows and the rest for osx.

This time I didn't even get to the 0% Setup step. On the first install screen (white text on black background), when it was showing:

2000:0EFE: int 13_48

the install process just stopped. Even after hitting enter nothing happened. After the second time hitting enter I got this:

Patch #0: Not found.

Patch #1: Not found.

Patch errors detected!!

int 13 called from 2000:0EFE. GDT=003F000L000003FF IDT=00000000L0000FFFF

EAX=00000000 EBX=00060000 ECX=00000005 EDX=00000080 CR0=00000010

ESP=00067FE8 EBP=00067FF2 ESI=00060000 EDI=00007FFA CR3=00039000

DS=3000 ES=0060 FS=0060 GS=0060 SS=22F3 FL=00000206

2000:0EFE 0F 82 06 00 jb 00000F08 ($+6)

The same exception I found here. It seems that there is still some problem with the xom.efi file and the disk size. It also seems that people are working on this problem...

I will try one more install - without changing the size of the partitions (50%xp, 50%osx). If this doesn't work, I think we should let the experts finish the boot drivers.....

I was having the same issue of getting to the installing files promt and it would not go any further. I had given up for the time being and went back into os X. I was just messing around and set my screen resolution to 1280X1024 and then went back to install windows and it started working! by default the resolution was 800X600.