Media Center 2005

AirmanPika

14 posts in this topic

OK so the slipstream dorks up MCE 2005 and never asks for CD2. I know its related to the TXTSETUP.SIF file in the i386 directory so is this an easy edit that can be done or something more? I'm having a heck of a time making heads or tails of what needs changed. I just figure that since the machines have IR ports and the remotes may eventually work even with windows that MCE would be a good think to use also.

I've uploaded the MCE file here http://thingblog.com/TXTSETUP.SIF

Oh and just so you know what I'm getting at in case that rant made no sense....basicly whatever was changed in the XP SP2 Pro SIF file needs changed in the MCE SIF file. I just don't have the time right now to go through the file myself and check.

Just a quick Google turned up this, which should give you more information about how the file is setup (including how to possibly manipulate files spanning over multiple disks), in addition to this, which might let you combine the mutliple CD's into just one DVD. Hope it helps... :poster_oops:

Does this patch/slipstreaming affect setupp.ini at all? I know the PID value in this file controls how the installer acts. Sorry if I am barking up the wrong tree, I can't afford an iMac right now. :poster_oops:

I haven't tried this so I don't know if it will work, but if the main problem is having to change CDs, then the following may help:

There is a program to slipstream Windows installer components into a single unattended install, called nLite.

There is an introductory guide to how to use it here.

And a thread which talks specifically about preparing a MCE 2005 installer from two CDs to one DVD here.

The procedure (at the end of that thead) is apparently to:

nLite the the first CD

copy cmponents folder from cd2 to cd1 root

make the iso with nLite

The cdkey in winnt.sif has to be the MCE product key

I haven't tried this so I don't know if it will work, but if the main problem is having to change CDs, then the following may help:

There is a program to slipstream Windows installer components into a single unattended install, called nLite.

There is an introductory guide to how to use it here.

And a thread which talks specifically about preparing a MCE 2005 installer from two CDs to one DVD here.

The procedure (at the end of that thead) is apparently to:

Thanks I can use that for getting this all on one DVD, I don't think it will help ultimately though as the SP2 Pro SIF file still won't ask for those files in the end. Someone needs to actually edit the MCE one with whatever changes were made by narf. If I knew what to change I'd do it myself but after looking at the SIF my brain ran away and hid.

I seam to recall a Media Center standalone installer if you already have Windows XP installed. It has been a while since I've seen it, but it might be an avenue to pursue? Let me know if you need help. I might be able to track it down.

I seam to recall a Media Center standalone installer if you already have Windows XP installed. It has been a while since I've seen it, but it might be an avenue to pursue? Let me know if you need help. I might be able to track it down.

I believe you can install XP, then "upgrade" to MCE directly by popping in the MCE cds while in windows and launching setup.

OK new news, one of the testers we worked with prior to the initial release pointed out what was most likely edited in the SIF file (not as much as I thought actually). So I've made the edits and am burning a new MCE 05 CD. I'll let you all know how it turns out and post a new version of the slipstream for MCE if that is it.

That's great to hear! For those who have no patience to reinstall MCE, the standalone MCE install is just under 18mb. I tracked it down in less than 5min. However, you are walking over the line if you install it. You will need an MCE license if you want to legally run it on your system.

OK so I think it worked because I got the install to ask for CD2 but then I kinda hit a small, very hard, and spikey wall.....the install doesn't eject CD 1.......GAH! There isn't a manual eject for the stupid slot loaders either on the Core Duo iMacs.

SO, now that I have a working solution...maybe...I hope...I'm burning everything to a DVD instead so that only 1 disc is involved. I'll let ya know how this goes.