Public beta for Slimtool by PCWiz

~pcwiz

31 posts in this topic

FINAL VERSION RELEASED - released August 26, 2008!

picture1dh4.png

My latest app, Slimtool has the ability to strip Intel i386/PPC binaries out of unlimited number of apps in one workflow, and it comes in a small package. This is a free alternative to the shareware "Xslimmer" app, and this app is completely free! Its compatible with OS X Leopard Intel and PPC. I've tested stripping out the PPC binaries out of a universal binary app already, and it works great, but I don't have a PPC mac at this moment so I can't test the PPC side of things, which is why I am holding a public beta for this app (app is attached)

To use the app is simple, just drag any apps you want to the table, they will add themselves and you will see an estimated space savings counter. Now, this is an ESTIMATE, meaning it may estimate below or over what you actually save. Note that if you drag in a Intel only or PPC only application, it will not be added to the list since there is nothing to strip (only universal binary apps can be stripped) Once all your apps are in the line up, just click Slim and the app will fire away :) Back up your apps before doing this since the process is not reversible. Please take the opportunity to test this app and please make sure to tell me the results!

Thanks

NOTE TO ALL: Slimming apps generally will not mess up the app at all, but there are some apps that act weird after being slimmed, so always keep a backup until you are perfectly satisfied with the performance of the slimmed app :)

The final version of this app has been released.

Please see: http://######.com/slimtool/ for more information and download :)

Very cool ~pcwiz, I will test it, you always bring amazing apps!!!!

Ok, found the first bug, when you click on the "add app" the application never appear on this app. :)

edit: nevermind, it looks like some application never appear but some do.

OK, I've done some more work on it:

* Fixed errors with some apps like Adobe CS3 programs and others

* Improved accuracy of estimated space savings

* Added logging and log viewer

I did some testing of my own and just screwed the app a bit temporarily so it thought that the computer was PPC, and slimmed some apps, worked fine :) I would appreciate feedback from testers.

Whoa. :o Are you sure you don't have an IV drip of caffeine in your arm, pcwiz? This is amazing! Can't wait to test, but I don't have any apps just yet to test on. :o

Hmm...I'm not sure. Maybe I do :) Anyways, I just posted up the new version (SlimtoolB2.zip) with what I mentioned above.

Good idea, I'll see possible ways of adding that in, and I will add that in a future release :)

EDIT: I just realized that that would be problematic for Core Solo and Core Duo users since they don't support x64. But I think I can add some code to workaround that :)

EDIT2: Final version of slimtool released

OK ColdStart, added the function. Basically it reads the processor info from sysctl machdep.cpu and reads if the processor supports Intel EM64T instructions (64 bit), if it does it checks if the app has the x86_64 architecture. If it does, everything except 64 bit is slimmed, if its an Intel processor that does not support 64 bit or the app is 32 bit only, then it slims everything except i386 :) That's all coming in version 1.1, probably gonna be released tomorrow. You can grab it from the self updater built into slimtool when the update comes out :)

~PCWIZ! make your own leopard distro, and make it so much bettr than anyones out their, make it like ubuntu, a live dvd where you can install it while trying it out, play some solitare while waiting, or surf the internet

OK ColdStart, added the function. Basically it reads the processor info from sysctl machdep.cpu and reads if the processor supports Intel EM64T instructions (64 bit), if it does it checks if the app has the x86_64 architecture. If it does, everything except 64 bit is slimmed, if its an Intel processor that does not support 64 bit or the app is 32 bit only, then it slims everything except i386 :P That's all coming in version 1.1, probably gonna be released tomorrow. You can grab it from the self updater built into slimtool when the update comes out :P

Won't this be problematic if I use -legacy to start up the kernel? Even if the processor says it supports EM64T, the kernel might only run 32 binaries in this mode, no?