OS X on PSP

7 posts in this topic

Running an operating system on a psp is pointless, but I thought why not? Windows 95, 98, XP, Linux, and Mac OS 7.6.1 have been emulated on psps running homebrew, but never before Mac OS X. The most likely reason would be the memory stick, as the largest capacity I have seen is 4gb, but from a post a while back on Neowin I read a post about Sony realesing an 8gb memory stick sometime soon, which would be perfect for Mac OS X. The emulator for Windows / Linux is called Bochs, while the Mac OS 7.5-7.61 is called Basilisk II. Well Bochs is supposed to be more user friendly from my understanding, so im sure the x86 Mac OS/X with an 8gb memory stick and some generic drives would run on a psp, except for the slow speed of the 333mhz processor and the 32mb of ram... which would need to pagefiled somehow. Besides the slow and impracticableness, it would be kind of cool. I just thought I would bring this up for those who own psps and may want to try this when the magic gate 8gb is out.

there are certain things that, while geeky certainly, should really not be done.

What are you expecting to gain from this apart from a deadly slow machine that will not be able to do anything?

Seriously dude, reality check.

Considering that the guy who got OS 9 running in Basilisk (don't quote me on this...I can't remeber all the facts) on his PSP stated it took something like 3 hours for it to boot, I'd hate to see how long it would take for OS X to even get past the inital boot sequence. Just because you can, doesn't necessarily mean you should.

But yeah, good luck with that. Post pics if you actually succeed. :)