ATI vs Nvidia w/Project osx86

dsc106

26 posts in this topic

Is one brand generally more compatible than the other with Project osx86? Or does it really not matter?

I'm trying to debate between a new ATI 4870 or GTX 260 when the drivers are ready, but I want to make sure it will work very well with osx86 install in the future...

Also, will snow leopard harness the capabilities of one better than the other? IE, I know nvidia supports CUDA... is that a reason to go with Nvidia rather than ATI?

Neither of the above mentioned cards (ATI Radeon 4870 or nVidia GTX 260) work in osx86 at the moment.

You may want to try doing some more research before purchasing either of them for the purpose of using them under osx86.

http://wiki.osx86project.org

If you want a high end card, ATI 3870 has working drivers, and so do most high end nvidia cards, including 8800 series, even 9800 cards, *NOT* the 9600 though.

Right, I am aware that neither are working, but I want a cutting edge card that will be supported soon. I just read this:

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/08/25/atis-4...coming-for-mac/

Stating that the 4870 is coming for Mac, so my guess is that no later than 10.5.6 there will be official support and soon after unofficial support will be easy.

One of my main questions is, with Apple's new GPU harnessing, will this use Nvidia's CUDA? Or ATI's OpenCL? I want to be able to harness GPU processing of stuff in the future, such as encoding video using the GPU to help. If I buy a 4870 will I be out in the cold, or does ATI support OpenCL with the 4870, and is Apple developing for Nvidia's CUDA?

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Neither of the above mentioned cards (ATI Radeon 4870 or nVidia GTX 260) work in osx86 at the moment.

You may want to try doing some more research before purchasing either of them for the purpose of using them under osx86.

http://wiki.osx86project.org

If you want a high end card, ATI 3870 has working drivers, and so do most high end nvidia cards, including 8800 series, even 9800 cards, *NOT* the 9600 though.

Which PCIe / PCI Express / PCI X card (s) have driver support for 2560 x 1600 resolution on a Leopard or Snow Leopard?

It could be any brand. NVidia, ATI or other.

Preferably it can fit an Advanced Dock for T61.

As I understand it, I will need a full-height, half-length PCIe video card.

Please advise.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Am I right that installing the ATI HD 4890 with Snow Leopard should be easy?

I have build my system and can't make the decision which Graphics Card I should buy.

ATI HD 4890 or NVIDIA GTX 260.

The ATI GC is stronger then the one from NVIDIA so I would prefer the HD 4890.

And well looking at this thread http://netkas.org/?p=237 it should work.

So please give me a sign if it works or not.

my system:

- ASUS P6T SE

- Intel Core i7

- G.Skill NT 4 GB Kit DDR3 PC3-10666

- Samsung SH-223B DVD-RW

- Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB ST3500320AS

I'm looking forward for positive answers.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
From my experiences Nvidia are easier to install on OSX, also a GT250 is basically a 9800 remade so it should work fine with some kexts ....

I would have to agree that NVIDIA are easier to get working. I have an NVIDIA 9800GTX+ 1GB version with a kexts modification using OSX86 tools works flawlessly.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm replacing my Dell's Precision 390 original graphics (ATI FireGL 3400 128 MB) for a NVIDIA Geforce 8400 GS (512 MB), just to get QE.

In terms of speed and quality am I doing a bad change? I'm reading about their specs and concluding that my old FireGL 3400 is faster than the 8400 GS.

Thank you,

Daniel.

I'm replacing my Dell's Precision 390 original graphics (ATI FireGL 3400 128 MB) for a NVIDIA Geforce 8400 GS (512 MB), just to get QE.

In terms of speed and quality am I doing a bad change? I'm reading about their specs and concluding that my old FireGL 3400 is faster than the 8400 GS.

Thank you,

Daniel.

Having QE will be a vast improvement over your current situation.

Having QE will be a vast improvement over your current situation.

Thank you!

I've just noticed what you said - although I think that in my Windows 7 environment the graphics is drawing slower... but it may be only an impression. OSX became beautiful!

In desktop PCs, Nvidia GFX is easier than ATI GFX to install, configure and work. I agree with that.

But in laptops, specially the ones with shared memory GFX, AFAIK, this situation is quite different:

- Intel GFX chips with shared memory WORK.

- ATI GFX chips with shared memory WORK.

- Nvidia GFX chips with shared memory DON'T WORK yet, with the notable exception of 9400M. There isn't any way to make these chips working.

Sorry for my English

• 4 weeks later...

My only question is how does one who purchases a brand new model card (either brand) get drivers to work on OSX? As all new cards should work with WinOS out of the box right? I am not a programmer or anything but would love to have a new high speed card to tinker with...

• 4 weeks later...

Guess you cant because the mac platform has always being behind vid wise, like when i had my 4870 it took over a yr for it to come to mac and then for hacks and work arounds to be done to get it working. At one point i was going to get a old 8800gt just to run in my hackintsh. This OS was meant to run on our generic pc and also mac tend to always be behind video card wise is how i would answere your question anyhow. Lol only a noob here myself but have picked this up for my time spent reading way to many post, lol i was using sheepshaver a few yrs back and it blows my mind to see even an ntel build that boots to desktop so no complaints here. Personaly ever new person here should be thanking the guys on here delevoping hacks, making tutorials and helping others out greatfully because without them you would never get to run the os.

My only question is how does one who purchases a brand new model card (either brand) get drivers to work on OSX? As all new cards should work with WinOS out of the box right? I am not a programmer or anything but would love to have a new high speed card to tinker with...

• 3 weeks later...