[Guide + Control Center] Leopard 10.5.4 - Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L/DS3R/DS3P/DS4

~pcwiz

85 posts in this topic

This is the latest and greatest version of the immensely popular install package by ~pcwiz (1000+ replies!). This is the simplest, easiest, and most fool proof way to get Leopard 10.5.4 on your Gigabyte GA-(E)P35-DS3L/DS3P/DS3R/DS4/any board with similar hardware. As before, a Core 2 Duo or Pentium Dual Core is a minimum requirement. This package includes 4 files:

* 7 Page Guide in editable DOC (Word) format

* 7 Page Guide in PDF format

* 7 Page Guide in editable PAGES (Apple iWork Pages) format

* Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3x Control Center App by ~pcwiz

The guide uses the Kalyway 10.5.1 DVD and updates to 10.5.3 using the Kalyway Combo updater, then to 10.5.4 using the original Apple delta updater. Due credit to everyone whose work was used is given at the end of the guide. The Control Center app, believe it or not is everything you'll need to fine tune your system. It includes installation for all the drivers required plus fixes for shutdown, restart, PS/2, SMBIOS fix, and more. For more in depth information on the control center app please see here. Without further ado I present this long awaited package!

The package (16MB) can be downloaded here (from Mediafire)

If you appreciate this work and the effort that went into creating this, please consider giving me a donation through the link in my signature (PayPal) :)

This is the latest and greatest version of the immensely popular install package by ~pcwiz (1000+ replies!). This is the simplest, easiest, and most fool proof way to get Leopard 10.5.4 on your Gigabyte GA-(E)P35-DS3L/DS3P/DS3R/DS4/any board with similar hardware. As before, a Core 2 Duo or Pentium Dual Core is a minimum requirement.

I wish I had had this when I reinstalled my Kalyway 10.5.4 system last week after unsuccessfully trying a retail install. I used pcwiz through 10.5.2 and weaksauce for 10.5.3 - .4 I may still have the EFI bootloader; I'll have to check.

Chameleon has several advantages, mostly in terms of SSE2, AMD, and JMicron IDE support. If you have a perfect working install, switching is not necessary, but any time you are doing a new install it should definitely be considered as an option :)

pcwiz, would it be alright if I started out with the Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD instead of the 10.5.1? I have the 5.2 already restored to a secondary partition, and have that as an easy install point. I just bought new hardware, and it happens to be an EP35C-DS3R / Core2 Q9550, and would like to use this tutorial. However, the 10.5.1 DVD is going to take over over a day longer, and it's been running for a day and a half already.

Just as a note, I would recommend to everyone to use that method of installing. Instead of burning to a DVD, create a partition about 8GB, and restore the DVD install image to it, and make it bootable however necessary for your partition type. Mine is the last 8GB on my old GUID Leopard drive, and so the the EFI makes it available in the list at startup. Takes MUCH less time to get through the install this way. Plus, makes adding kexts to the installer easy

First have to thank pcwin for the great amount of work and time he put into making this guide and the great control center.

I followed the guide and everything seem to work great except the graphic card. Basically any program that tries to use the GPU will crash, so VLC crashes, mplayer barely works, and pic-lens causes firefox to crash, screen saver is very slow and jerky. Also display rotation is no longer available as an option, which was something I used quiet often. Any idea what the core problem might be?

I installed per the directions in your tutorial, and everything seems to be working ok, except for my graphics. When I had 10.5.4 installed before you released this guide it was Kalyway's 10.5.2 Updated to 5.3 using the Kalyway combo update, and then Apple Delta Update to 5.4. Everything worked good except Shutdown / restart. I used NVKush for my 8600GTS.

I got a new HDD, and installed per your directions, and everything works perfect. QE/CI Via NVInstaller .52, Audio, LAN, Shutdown/Restart etc. However, when booting up after it gets to "Login Window Application Started" The screen flickers, and then waits at the text output (with -v), for about a minute or 2, and then loads the desktop. Without using any drivers it doesn't pause here, but no QE/CI. I tried using NVKush, EFI String etc. and all have the same result.

I'm going to see about installing using Kalyway 10.5.2 > > 5.3 >> 5.4 again, and use your Control center to get Shutdown / Restart working with Vanilla kernel. I'll stick it on a different partition.

Seems to be a problem with your graphics driver, if you are using one. Use EFIStudio or OSx86Tools (when the final release comes out) to generate an EFI string for your card.

First time that I followed your guide I didn't do anything special to get the graphic card working in 10.5.2. You'll be amazed to know what a noob I am when it comes to OSX86, yet I managed to run my workstaion for months without any problems, thanks to your guide. But now I don't know where to begin, what is the EFIStudio that you mentioed, google didn't seem to help.

Thanks.

~pcwiz, with your awesome guide I will finally take the step to go to 5.4, thanks for it ;)

I was just wondering something... you don't actually use much from kalyway or other modded dvds and you do the fixes yourself. Combined with the system allowing to boot from original dvd, use Chameleon (whatever that is :D ) and stuff, isn't it best that both ideas are combined so no more relying on some distributions and making patches over patches?

I'm just a complete nub, so I may be writing {censored}, just slap me :P

I got a new HDD, and installed per your directions, and everything works perfect. QE/CI Via NVInstaller .52, Audio, LAN, Shutdown/Restart etc. However, when booting up after it gets to "Login Window Application Started" The screen flickers, and then waits at the text output (with -v), for about a minute or 2, and then loads the desktop. Without using any drivers it doesn't pause here, but no QE/CI. I tried using NVKush, EFI String etc. and all have the same result.

Exact same thing over here, but with a 8600 GT. Seems like 10.5.4 doesn't like the drivers I install (NVinstaller v.51 / v.52 and NV Inject 0.2.1)...

DrunkenDonkey, no thats a good idea! When I get the chance I'll try out a retail install and try to work everything out myself :D

rfullrez and Pilgrimage, like I said to Spol, use an EFI string, it causes the least problems and won't get overwritten in updates :mellow:

I have tried an EFI String with your install method (as stated in previous post), however it was the same result. With the graphics drivers enabled, it would flicker for a second, and then wait about 2 minutes before booting into the desktop.

However, I installed using Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD, updated to 10.5.3 using Kalyway Combo Update, and then Apple Delta to 5.4, and using EFI String, I have no problems. This is using the exact same driver install packages that I tried using the Kalyway 10.5.1 >> 5.3 >> 5.4 method.

My system specs are:

Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R, Core2Quad 9550, 4GB DDR2 1066, GeForce 8600GTS, SATA Hard Drives and SATA DVD Drive.

Guide is working so far, but I ran into a newb issue and thought it might help others. When the guide suggests setting SATA to AHCI, you have to change:

SATA RAID/AHCI Mode: AHCI

and

Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode: AHCI

I didn't see the second one down there and had to sort it out the hard way.

Ran into my first problem. After installing the 10.5.3 update, but keeping the 10.5.2 kernel, when I rebooted I got the spinning white page. -v reveals no info, other than the problem is happening after the iPhone driver message "com.apple.driver.iTunesPhoneDriver has no kernel dependency".

I'm going to try and install the 10.5.4 kernel from an install on another drive and see if that's problem. Any ideas?

Ran into my first problem. After installing the 10.5.3 update, but keeping the 10.5.2 kernel, when I rebooted I got the spinning white page. -v reveals no info, other than the problem is happening after the iPhone driver message "com.apple.driver.iTunesPhoneDriver has no kernel dependency".

I'm going to try and install the 10.5.4 kernel from an install on another drive and see if that's problem. Any ideas?

I ran into the same issue and it did not matter when I selected the 9.4 kernel or not. Still trying to figure out why it stops at the iphonedriver.

Dora