Dell Vostro 1510 with Leopard 10.5.4

Romano2K

8 posts in this topic

Hi there!

I got a brand new Dell Vostro 1510 for my work a few days ago, and as I was having a look at the specifications of the computer, I noticed that it could work with Mac OS X Leopard. Here is a log of how I did to get it working.

Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.4 Installation on a Dell Vostro 1510

Introduction

Specifications

• Intel Mobile 965 Express Chipset
  • Intel Core 2 Duo T7100 (1.8GHz)
  • 2GB DDR2 667MHz Memory
  • Intel GMA X3100 Graphics
  • Realtek ALC268 Sound Controller
  • Realtek RTL8168C/8111C Gigabit Ethernet Controller
  • Dell TrueMobile 1395 (Broadcom BCM4310) Wireless Controller

Prerequires

• An external monitor
  • Keyboard and mouse (optionnal)
  • Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD
  • A backup of your data

First step — Load the installer

Plug external monitor, keyboard and mouse to the computer.

Turn on the computer, close the screen then press the F12 key. The boot selection menu appears. Select "CD-Rom Drive", the Darwin bootloader appears, press any key. Loading of the Mac OS X installer begins.

Second step — Prepare the installation

Select the language you want then click the arrow (Next). After a short (30 seconds) loading stage the welcome screen appears.

Preparing the hard drive

Go to the "Utilities" menu then click "Disk Utility".

Click on your hard drive (not on one of its partitions) and go to the "Partition" section.

In the "Volume Scheme" menu, select "2 partitions".

Then click on "Options..." and select "GUID partition table", confirm by clicking "OK".

Click on "Untitled 1" and type "Macintosh HD" in the "Name" field, let "Mac OS Extended (journaled)" for the "Format" field and choose a size (I choosed 120GB).

Click on "Untitled 2", choose "Free Space" in the "Format" menu.

Click "Apply", in a few seconds the hard drive will be ready.

Quit the Disk Utility (go to the "Disk Utility" menu then click "Quit Disk Utility").

Preparing the installation

Click "Continue" then "Accept". Select "Macintosh HD" then click "Continue". Click "Customize".

You have to select only:

Polices supplémentaires

Languages

> Français
(or the one you want)

Kernels

> kernel_vanilla_92

Patches

> Hardcoded_SMBIOS

> > AppleSMBIOS-27-MB

> PowerManagemet_bundle

Only these packets have to be selected, especially you don't have to select anything in the "Graphics_Drivers", "Audio_Drivers", "Networks_Drivers" and "Mobo_Chipsets" categories.

Click "Finish".

Launching the installation

Click "Install", you can "Ignore" the media verification.

With my computer, installation lasted 25 minutes.

You should get "Installation Successful" screen, click "Restart".

Third step — First boot

First boot

The computer reboots, Darwin bootloader displays then Mac OS X loading begins. A welcome video is displayed then a welcom screen appears.

Select "Show All" then "France" in the list (or whatever country you want) and click "Continue".

Let "Do not transfer my information now" selected then click "Continue".

Fill in the next forms however you want. Remember that what you fill in "Short Name" will be the name of you personal folder (your home), it can't be changed later unless if you create a new user account.

The "Thank you" screen appears, click "Go" and Mac OS X loads.

Changing the system language

If you wan't you can change system language.

Using the Dock, launch "System Preferences" and click on "International". Click on "Edit list..." and unselect everything except your language.

Also, in the "Formats" tab, in the "Region" list, select your country (not "<Your country> (english)"). Close the window.

You have to Log Out (using the Apple menu) so changes take effect.

Fourth step — Update to 10.5.4

Download the official 10.5.4 combo update from the Apple website, but don't launch it!

Let's follow the netkas method:

Launch "Terminal" using "Spotlight" (on the top right corner). Type "sudo -s" then type your password to be root. Now launch the loop, copy/pasting or typing in the Terminal:

while sleep 1 ; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext ; done

This tries to delete the bad file every 1 second and should avoid a Kernel Panic during the update process.

Then you can launch the update, follow the steps, wait and DO NOT click Restart at the end.

Go back to the Terminal, end the loop typing Control + C.

In the Terminal, type "nano /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1". Find the string "Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext" and replace it by "dsmos.kext". Save the file typing Control + O, then quit typing Control + X.

Now, press "Restart".

The system may fail to shutdown properly. Wait 5 minutes and force the shutdown (pressing the power button on the laptop 5 seconds). Turn on the computer again, don't forget to close the screen.

The system reboots another time and then boots to your brand new 10.5.4 Leopard!

While we're at it, let's do the other updates. Go to the Apple menu, click "Software Update..." then install everything (especially the Aiport and security updates). Reboot for the last time.

Fifth step — Solve issues

Graphics and screen

Download, install and launch "Pacifist".

Download the Leopard Graphics Update 1.0 but don't run it.

In "Pacifist", click "Open Package..." then select the "Leopard Graphics Update 1.0.pkg" and install it. Replace all existing files.

Shutdown the computer using the Apple menu.

Unplug external devices then turn on the computer, the screen should be fine and you should have QE/CI enabled.

To check that, go to the Apple menu, click "About This Mac" then "More Info...". Click on "Graphics/Displays" and you should see "Core Image: Hardware Accelerated" and "Quartz Extreme: Supported".

Wireless Controller

Run the Terminal, type "sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext/Contents/Info.plist" then type Enter. Type your password, type Enter.

Scroll down in the file then add a line in the "<string>" list.

<string>pci14e4,4315</string>

Save (Control + O), Quit (Control + X), quit Terminal. In a few seconds, the system should detect a new interface.

Sound

Tried a few methods, still not working properly. Appears, disappears, sound isn't that good. Still to fix.

SpeedStep and BatteryMeter

Tried the SpeedStep enabler and BatteryMetter from the Dell Post Installer, none are working.

Now testing XNU SpeedStep. I don't know how to check if it really works. Although the "SpeedStep" application displays changes, the FAN is still running at full speed periodically.

Miscallaneous

I can't shutdown properly. The hard drive stops (I can hear it), but FAN and DELs are still up. Probably because of rests of sound tweaking?

Internal SD/MMC reader doens't work but I don't care, I'm a dSLR user, I need a Compact Flash reader. Although if someone has a simple fix, I can include it in this "tutorial" so that it's complete.

Getting out of sleep the screen is messy, half the columns are black, resulting in a cool vertical scanline effects, perfect for MAME! -_-

Last step — Enjoy!

That's it for now. Enjoy!

I'll edit the thread when I'll find solutions, I'll correct english too (I'm from France, not fluent yet :thumbsup_anim:) and enhance the page layout.

Tell me if it works for you or if you have solutions.

I am interested to hear if the xnu-speedstep is workign well for you. I have a Dell Vostro 1500. What is your screen resolution? Mine is capable of 1680x1050 but if I am at 1680x1050 I have a messed up mouse with artifacts. So I have been using the resolution just below 1600x1000 but it is not as sharp looking.

I am interested to hear if the xnu-speedstep is workign well for you.
The xnu-speedstep looks to be working, SpeedStep.app reports frequency changes, but I don't know how to check if it actually works. Although like I said, the case FAN is still running full speed periodically and I think it shouldn't if the processor was really running at 800MHz. I don't know how to check the CPU speed live nor stop the FAN doing this.

What is your screen resolution?
My 15" Vostro displays 1440 x 900 and the display is okay... Since it goes off then on again, half the screen stays black. I'm now using the stock kext from Apple for the X3100 and except this issue it works smooth, too bad ! ;)

If you have a NVIDIA chipset, I know there are pretty well supported now.

Any help about the other issues? :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello

I've tried the update as listed.... tried it several times and thinking I wasn't following directions exactly. I'm installing this on a Dell Inspiron 1318 and everytime I do the update it loads the opening page with the apple and then gives the the little no smoking sign.I guess I'll wait till i can find another way because its getting painful to reload OSX over and over.

Its a good post for the vostro but I think it mght have to do with the Intel 965 chipset thats installed in the Inspiron.

The Broadcom kext is a plus... first try I had WIFI :thumbsup_anim: been fighting that dog for about 2 weeks.

Thanks for your help and hope to find more good info :D