Virtual PC on iMac

nitro

11 posts in this topic

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has managed to get Virtual PC up and running on the new iMac (intel).

I've tried it but it seems to crash on startup.

Hopefully we'll be able to dual boot in the future, but at this point I would like to be able to access certain Windows programs.

Thnx in advance,

Nitro

Maybe it's not ported to the Intel architecture yet. I tried versions 6 and 7 and both start to launch, bounce a few times in the dock and then go away with a message telling me that something went wrong.

I am sure I've seen some other posts on this board about VPC, but I can't remember what they said.

Jeff

The PPC Version does not work.

And is kind of dumb to run a PPC Aplcation that emulates X86 hardware. Better oprions are Darwine, Wintel, Bochs,

I'll wait for VMware for Mac OS.

Microsoft would be fools not to port Virtual PC to osx-intel. Think about it, usually when you buy VPC, you are forced to buy it bundled with Windows OS. Now that there wouldnt be much hardware emu required, this makes a nice quick/easy way to run Windows apps on Macs, and good ole Bill (formerly know as Satan till he gave the job to a Mr. Cheyney) gets his licensing fees.

Qemu works very nicely and is open source freeware...and its fast. I suggest checking that out opposed to VPC or wintel...as for Darwine, I know very little about it, but it looks wicked...but I think its more for running virtualized programs, not entire operating systems. (right?)

I'm using Q, the Mac port of QEMU. The most recent unstable UniBin binary, 0.8.0d877,

works well with Windows 98 SE. I was also successful in installing Windows 2000 SP4

and Windows XP SP2, but for speed and size reasons I only kept the Win98 one.

Because I did not have a bootable Win98 CD, I used floppy disk image, then navigated

to the CD that contained Win98 installation files after it finished booting.

All work was done on Core Duo Mac mini.

As far as I know, WinTel is mostly just a frontend to BOCHS and QEMU. And you have

to pay for it. The company making WinTel has poor reputation for supposedly 'ripping

off' open source projects for money, although if I understand correctly, if terms in

the license are properly obeyed it is possible to sell for profit. In any case, Q is free,

so I think it's a logical choice.